+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Eligible to apply for citizenship?

worriedanxious007

Star Member
Jul 30, 2013
Got PR for Canada in August 2008, stayed constantly till August 2012, been there one year since August 2012. Intending to move back permanently in the next year. Was wondering whether I am eligible to apply for citizenship under the new 4 out of 6 years rules. Have all taxes filed.
Thanks for any advice.

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
It sounds -- very roughly -- like you are eligible to apply, if you apply before August of this year. This isn't taking into account any of the sub-details about, like 'four years with 6 months inside Canada' or however precisely it's phrased. I don't know if it is possible to apply for citizenship while living outside of Canada, and of course, even if that is not an absolute prohibition, you'll face a very difficult burden in establishing your intent to reside here.

But for the start, you should go to CIC's residence calculator, and see if you meet the minimal formal requirements.

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
No -- the conditions that you're going to be applying under require you to swear that you 'continue' to live in Canada. If you're not living in Canada, you can't continue. I'm no expert, but I don't think there's any way that you can apply, realistically, without being settled in Canada by the time your application is being processed; and under the new conditions the processing should be quick. In other words, I don't think you can apply from outside Canada and collect an admissions offer which you can use at the interview to establish intent. Or perhaps better, I don't think that doing that would have a high chance of success.

I think it's also likely that your application will have a higher degree of scrutiny, owing to the recent nature of your absence and new nature of the Intent to Reside clause, it seems unlikely that a simple college admission offer will surmount that. I'm sympathetic here -- I'm applying under the old rules with 345 days of absence, owing to having to go work in the US for almost a year (don't plan on getting a job in Victoria) -- but at least it was at the beginning of my time, and I've gotten settled since then. Who knows what they'll do?

I'm sure other people who know more will weigh in, here. Remember, no one has actually seen the new rules applied, yet.

worriedanxious007

Star Member
Jul 30, 2013
I'm thinking about just applying when I arrive back in a few months. I calculated the absences and I would still be within the realm of application period, having around 1500 days accrued. Once actually applying from there I can't really see a problem? Especially with the uni offer? What do you think?

worriedanxious007

Star Member
Jul 30, 2013
Can I ask you honestly, is the job market as full of opportunities as the outside community is led to believe? I mean, is it as good as say, in Europe, where one can begin and know they have 4 weeks+ holiday time per year etc. Basically, is Canada as full of opportunity as it is sold to be?
Thanks again for all honest input.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
worriedanxious007 said:
Can I ask you honestly, is the job market as full of opportunities as the outside community is led to believe? I mean, is it as good as say, in Europe, where one can begin and know they have 4 weeks+ holiday time per year etc. Basically, is Canada as full of opportunity as it is sold to be?
Thanks again for all honest input.
Canada's holiday policies are not as generous as those in Europe. So no - someone starting a job in a junior role will not get 4 weeks of holidays. The US is generally even worse when it comes to vacation policies. This is one significant difference between North American and Europe.

worriedanxious007

Star Member
Jul 30, 2013
Thanks for the input, how do people feel about this? Do they feel it is an all work type system in North America in general? Quite a shame really, considering it was an American (Ford) who invented the two day weekend :D

MUFC

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The true freedom is when a person has the skills needed to make money by working for himself. In that way you can have much longer vacations.
When you are in the conventional working system you have to make your short vacations always in accordance with your employer. No personal freedom. Just another form of slavery.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
worriedanxious007 said:
Thanks for the input, how do people feel about this? Do they feel it is an all work type system in North America in general? Quite a shame really, considering it was an American (Ford) who invented the two day weekend :D
Well compared to Asia, North America is like heaven lol. But really the job opportunities and benefits really depends on what job field you are in. Some places offer a lot of vacation and flexibility and others do not. My job offers 3 weeks vacation to start with another week or so of extra days off that you can use for a variety of reasons. I also have flex time and option to work from home if I wish. I have a more flexible arrangement than my counterparts in the office in Germany. I can't complain.

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
Where I work, employees get 3 weeks vacation the first year and managers 4. The problem is that the first job you get is rarely your permanent one -- after you land here, it'll take a while to figure out what the best situation for you is and then more time to get into it. So you take a job that's not ideal, spend a few months there, and likely don't get too much vacation -- you're new, it doesn't pay well, you're busy finding something better. Then when you find something better, you start off new again; you work for a while before taking a vacation. When I finally managed to get settled in Canada it was through this sequence:

- 7 month contract job
- 3 month terrible job
- 13 month maternity leave job, ideal
- hired on permanently at maternity leave job, received vacation pay
- couldn't take vacation owing to personnel situation
- had a kid of my own, took 3 months of paternity leave after being permanent for 6 months.

The guy above is right, the older I get the more I'm aware of the amount of time I spend at work . . .

era1521

Oct 7, 2014
What has to do vacation compensation with citizenship? Sorry, i got lost here.
Anyway, getting back to initial question:

worriedanxious007 said:
Got PR for Canada in August 2008, stayed constantly till August 2012, been there one year since August 2012. ......
If I understand right, since 2012 you have resided only one year in Canada and currently you are out of Canada. If so, you not qualify as the Citizenship requirement is to reside 6 mts each calendar year.
If I was you I would worry of maintaining PR status, unless you accompanied a Canadian citizen abroad or working for Canadian government.

samreentariq

Jan 8, 2015
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-08-2011
Doc's Request.
-
Nomination.....
05-12-2011
AOR Received.
12-02-2012
IELTS Request
-
File Transfer...
28-05-2012
Med's Request
06-08-2012
Med's Done....
17-08-2012
Interview........
-
Passport Req..
15-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
-
LANDED..........
07-10-2012
To answer your immediate point I would advice you input your details online in the residency calculator located here :

https://eservices.cic.gc.ca/rescalc/resCalcStartNew.do?&lang=en

It should tell you if you are eligible now or not.

For your other question it is pretty much as the esteemed gentlemen above mention I work as an IT Financial advisor here in Toronto I am approaching two years at my job and get 3 weeks of vacation time after 4 years of service in the company it gets bumped up to 4 weeks so in general it will depend on which field you are planning to work and which company you work for. I agree with MUFC's statement the ideal scenario is for a person to work for himself.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.