+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Eligibility for remote worker - OINP (International student stream) / Got an invitation to apply

Na2mochi2

Oct 14, 2018
Hello everyone
I got an invitation to apply for OINP (International student stream) on March 1 and I wonder if an employer would not be eligible when the applicant is working from home as the home location doesn’t have any employees. It is unclear how a position that requires a foreign national to work full-time from their personal residence would meet the following prescribed criterion.

The head office of my company is located in Ottawa and has an office in Toronto as well, My work ( NOC: 2282 User support technicians) is 100% remote work it is not because of Covid-19, just our company's work style. This has been my concern as it is mentioned as follow on website. ( link: https://www.ontario.ca/page/oinp-employer-job-offer-international-student-stream)

An employer seeking approval of an employment position for a foreign national who will work from home on a full-time basis would still be required to meet all prescribed criteria, including the minimum employee criterion set out at paragraph 3.1 of subsection 4(1) of Ontario Regulation 422/17 (General):

i. if the prospective nominee will work at a location in the Greater Toronto Area, or will work at more than one location but report to work at a location in the Greater Toronto Area, at least five full-time employees at that location who are permanent residents or Canadian citizens, or

ii. if the prospective nominee will work at a location outside the Greater Toronto Area, or will work at more than one location but report to work at a location outside the Greater Toronto Area, at least three full-time employees at that location who are permanent residents or Canadian citizens.

Are there anyone who got an nomination even though remote work? If so, could I get advice how did you write " intent to reside in ON" and such?
I am planning to write on intent to reside in ON that my all office sets are in Ontario, I still need to go to office sometimes if I have some projects, I have no plan to move out from Ontario and such to convince that I will be living in Ontario.( I am single, new graduate working professional and don't have family to bring or apply for the PR together.)

Thank you

jjhernan

Star Member
Jul 17, 2022
Hello everyone
I got an invitation to apply for OINP (International student stream) on March 1 and I wonder if an employer would not be eligible when the applicant is working from home as the home location doesn’t have any employees. It is unclear how a position that requires a foreign national to work full-time from their personal residence would meet the following prescribed criterion.

The head office of my company is located in Ottawa and has an office in Toronto as well, My work ( NOC: 2282 User support technicians) is 100% remote work it is not because of Covid-19, just our company's work style. This has been my concern as it is mentioned as follow on website. ( link: https://www.ontario.ca/page/oinp-employer-job-offer-international-student-stream)

An employer seeking approval of an employment position for a foreign national who will work from home on a full-time basis would still be required to meet all prescribed criteria, including the minimum employee criterion set out at paragraph 3.1 of subsection 4(1) of Ontario Regulation 422/17 (General):

i. if the prospective nominee will work at a location in the Greater Toronto Area, or will work at more than one location but report to work at a location in the Greater Toronto Area, at least five full-time employees at that location who are permanent residents or Canadian citizens, or

ii. if the prospective nominee will work at a location outside the Greater Toronto Area, or will work at more than one location but report to work at a location outside the Greater Toronto Area, at least three full-time employees at that location who are permanent residents or Canadian citizens.

Are there anyone who got an nomination even though remote work? If so, could I get advice how did you write " intent to reside in ON" and such?
I am planning to write on intent to reside in ON that my all office sets are in Ontario, I still need to go to office sometimes if I have some projects, I have no plan to move out from Ontario and such to convince that I will be living in Ontario.( I am single, new graduate working professional and don't have family to bring or apply for the PR together.)

Thank you
what did you do?

brijeshpatel

Sep 7, 2023
Hello everyone

Thank you

Hello,
is there any update ! please share.
Thanks.

hussainkestrel

Sep 1, 2017
App. Filed.......
20 October 2017
Med's Request
9th November 2017
Med's Done....
15th November 2017
There is no timeline buddy.
I'm in pool from 1 year.
Can't get OINP as my employer is from Quebec.
And have only 5 months left for PGWP expiration.
Oh I thought you already applied for OINP nomination. My bad