+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

eligibility for Permanent residence

Gurpreet_kaur26

Star Member
Mar 19, 2018
Hi
i would like to ask as i am working in a clinic as a receptionist from may 2017 till now but i was on break for about 2 months ( december to february )due to sickness . So i have to go back home to get treatment . As i came back to Canada the owner of clinic hired me on part time basis not full time . So my question is that am i eligible for open work permit 1 year experience or do i have to get another job without any break ?

shannon388

Dec 15, 2017
I interpreted your question as Canadian Experience Class eligibility.

"To be eligible for the CEC, you need to have Canadian skilled work experience within three years of applying. According to the Canadian National Occupational Classification (NOC), skilled work experience means:

• Managerial jobs (NOC skill level 0)
  • Professional jobs (NOC skill type A)
  • Technical jobs and skilled trades (NOC skill type B)
Your experience must be at least

• 12 months of full-time work
    • 30 hours/week for 12 months = 1 year full time (1,560 hours), OR
  • equal amount in part-time hours, such as:
    • 15 hours/week for 24 months = 1 year full time (1,560 hours)
    • 30 hours/week for 12 months at more than one job = 1 year full time (1,560 hours)
You must show that you did the duties set out in the occupational description in the NOC. This includes all the main duties listed."

I bolded the parts might interest you. So part time is ok if it allows to accumulate enough work hours over more than 1-3 year, just make sure your NOC is type 0, A or B.