+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Eligibility for lay off ??

raman15

Jan 15, 2018
I have been working with a company since last 2 years as full time employee. Now the current project has been outsourced. My employer asking me to relocate to different location as they have few openings there. But it is too far from my residence address, will take me 6 hours to travel both ways.

I just want to know if I deny to relocate to my current employer, can I eligible to apply for lay off?

Thank you so much in advance

Wonderland_1010

Champion Member
Aug 24, 2015
Regina, SK
Category........
PNP
I have been working with a company since last 2 years as full time employee. Now the current project has been outsourced. My employer asking me to relocate to different location as they have few openings there. But it is too far from my residence address, will take me 6 hours to travel both ways.

I just want to know if I deny to relocate to my current employer, can I eligible to apply for lay off?

You can quit anytime but you are not eligible for EI payments though.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12

What is your status in Canada? If you have a closed work permit, you will likely not qualify for EI because you cannot meet the condition of being ready and able to take another job.

If you have an open work permit or are a Canadian citizen/PR, you should have no issues claiming EI. Your position is being eliminated through no fault of your own and it is not reasonable for your employer to make you move or commute 6 hours.

raman15

Jan 15, 2018
I am PR holder in Canada, recently applied for citizenship.

I do not drive, I use public transportation to commute. Currently I am living in Hamilton and new job being offered in North York. By using public transport it will take me 6 hours to get (back and forth).

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
It should take an hour from Hamilton to Union station if you use Go train, then form there via subway it would probably take an additional 30 minutes if your work location is near the subway line (Yonge-University-Spadina)....

So probably end to end it would be around 2 hours one way/or 4 hours 2 way..how did you get to 6 hours?

Reactions: Jakev