+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

eligibility for citizenship

rb0808

Feb 27, 2018
hello, i've been a permanent resident for 20 years. also i had two conditional discharges back in 2011 that i finished. i got a police clearance and it shows i have no criminal record. but i heard that i have to get my finger print destroyed, cuz the finger print is kept until you ask the rcmp to destroy it. im not really sure on what to do. do i have to request to get my finger print destroyed before i apply for citizenship? any advice?

Last edited:

Quiches

Star Member
Nov 26, 2017
Consult an immigration lawyer, with whom you can discuss the details of your case.

None of us here have experience in immigration cases with a criminal history, and even if one does, please do not take the advice of an Internet stranger on such a personal and important matter.

Don't "destroy" your fingerprint, whatever that may entail, because it is probably illegal and will create infinite more problems.

Please, please, please do not commit a crime based on hearsay!

ohhhhusa

Star Member
Nov 6, 2017
"
Don't "destroy" your fingerprint, whatever that may entail, because it is probably illegal and will create infinite more problems.

Please, please, please do not commit a crime based on hearsay!
That's funny! Destroying your fingerprints is not a crime my friend, far from that.
When you are charged with a crime you are fingerprinted, even if the charges are dropped or you get a conditional discharge or you are found not guilty etc... those fingerprints with remain there. So if someone checks your criminal record, they will see that you were charged with something but not convicted.
Destroying your fingerprints simply means removing that embarrassing stuff off your record. You write a letter to the local Police of the city where you were charged, pay a fee and pouf it's gone. They will deal with the RCMP. It's something that people have been complaining about for years in this country. The police and RCMP should automatically destroy your FP when not convicted!
For citizenship application, it's pretty clear! You have to be CONVICTED of a indictable offence to not be eligible. Whether you destroy you FP or not is not gonna matter.