+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Eligibility for a work permit

mdav922

Sep 4, 2018
Hello,

I am curious about the different types of temporary work permits that my girlfriend may be eligible for if there are any.

She is a registered nurse certified in the state of Ohio and is going to start volunteering at a hospital here in Ontario starting in November which she is hoping will eventually turn into an employment opportunity once she's certified here in Ontario.

If the hospital expresses interest in hiring her and is willing to offer her a job once her certification is complete, what kind of work permits would she be able to obtain in order to pursuit something like this??

I have been looking at federal skilled worker but unfortunately she will fall short of the 3120 hours required as she only has 1.5 years of experience as a registered nurse. Is there anything outside of this program that she would be able to do if she gets a job offer? Maybe something similar to a TN visa that Canadians can get for work in the USA?

Any help here would be appreciated

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Not quite sure what kind of volunteering she may be doing but most volunteering would not be allowed under her visitor status.

mdav922

Sep 4, 2018
Not quite sure what kind of volunteering she may be doing but most volunteering would not be allowed under her visitor status.
She is working in the mental health unit sitting in on the group meetings. Why would she not be allowed to volunteer in her free time? The hospital hasn't expressed that it would be illegal in any way?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
She is working in the mental health unit sitting in on the group meetings. Why would she not be allowed to volunteer in her free time? The hospital hasn't expressed that it would be illegal in any way?
The hospital probably isn't that familiar with immigration rules.

There's an easy way to determine if the volunteering she is doing is OK - or if it may be classified as working illegally. If anyone is being paid for what she is volunteering to do, then she should stop since IRCC/CBSA will classify this as working illegally. If everyone who is doing what she is doing is an unpaid volunteer - then she is good to continue.

To answer your question about the work permit, if she is offered a job as a registered nurse, then she can obtain a work permit at the border without obtaining an LMIA (since the job will be LMIA exempt). If she job she is offered is not an RN role, the answer may be different.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Seems like she is shadowing the nursing staff to get familiar with the Canadian system which I wouldn't recommend. Something like visiting patients isn't likely ok but even stuff like shuttling patients around wouldn't be allowed because a porter would be paid for that job. Volunteering to get ready to transition to a Canadian career is usually against the terms of a visitor permit.

mdav922

Sep 4, 2018
The hospital probably isn't that familiar with immigration rules.

There's an easy way to determine if the volunteering she is doing is OK - or if it may be classified as working illegally. If anyone is being paid for what she is volunteering to do, then she should stop since IRCC/CBSA will classify this as working illegally. If everyone who is doing what she is doing is an unpaid volunteer - then she is good to continue.

To answer your question about the work permit, if she is offered a job as a registered nurse, then she can obtain a work permit at the border without obtaining an LMIA (since the job will be LMIA exempt). If she job she is offered is not an RN role, the answer may be different.

No one gets paid for what it is that she will be doing, the hospital has a volunteer office with positions strictly dedicated for volunteers. Her receiving the position has nothing to do with her having past experience being a nurse, shes just passionate about the field and is sort of bored sitting at home everyday (since we are working towards common law sponsorship regardless), we also thought it could be good proof to support her living here for common law status also.

mdav922

Sep 4, 2018
Seems like she is shadowing the nursing staff to get familiar with the Canadian system which I wouldn't recommend. Something like visiting patients isn't likely ok but even stuff like shuttling patients around wouldn't be allowed because a porter would be paid for that job. Volunteering to get ready to transition to a Canadian career is usually against the terms of a visitor permit.
She wont be shadowing anyone, she would mostly be filing papers/organizing things and helping with group meetings with cleaning/setting them up ect.. Its only 4 hours a week to start so its hardly working, just gives her something to do and to keep her active in her field somewhat. I will let her know to steer clear of taking on responsibilities which may actually be nursing oriented.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
She wont be shadowing anyone, she would mostly be filing papers/organizing things and helping with group meetings with cleaning/setting them up ect.. Its only 4 hours a week to start so its hardly working, just gives her something to do and to keep her active in her field somewhat. I will let her know to steer clear of taking on responsibilities which may actually be nursing oriented.
Filing papers is exactly what she shouldn't be doing because a paid employee would be doing the job. If she wants to remain in Canada longterm she has to be careful.

mdav922

Sep 4, 2018
Filing papers is exactly what she shouldn't be doing because a paid employee would be doing the job. If she wants to remain in Canada longterm she has to be careful.
Ok, thanks for the warning I will let her know to stay away from anything that someone may normally be paid to do.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I would personally avoid volunteering in a hospital because of her professional field. Situation would raise a red flag if immigration ever found out but that's just me.

mdav922

Sep 4, 2018
I would personally avoid volunteering in a hospital because of her professional field. Situation would raise a red flag if immigration ever found out but that's just me.
So if we apply for common law and she does end up volunteering, would you advise us to not use a written letter from there as some proof for her residing with me here in Ontario?

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Hello,

I am curious about the different types of temporary work permits that my girlfriend may be eligible for if there are any.

She is a registered nurse certified in the state of Ohio and is going to start volunteering at a hospital here in Ontario starting in November which she is hoping will eventually turn into an employment opportunity once she's certified here in Ontario.

If the hospital expresses interest in hiring her and is willing to offer her a job once her certification is complete, what kind of work permits would she be able to obtain in order to pursuit something like this??

I have been looking at federal skilled worker but unfortunately she will fall short of the 3120 hours required as she only has 1.5 years of experience as a registered nurse. Is there anything outside of this program that she would be able to do if she gets a job offer? Maybe something similar to a TN visa that Canadians can get for work in the USA?

Any help here would be appreciated
3120 hours? 1 year of continuous work or 1560 hours is the minimum

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/eligibility/federal-skilled-workers.html

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
So if we apply for common law and she does end up volunteering, would you advise us to not use a written letter from there as some proof for her residing with me here in Ontario?
Follow what scylla said. If there are others doing the same things that she is doing without being paid, it is a volunteer position and there is no issue. If others are being paid to do what she is doing for free, then it is not a volunteer position and she shouldn't do it.

As long as it is volunteering, it's perfectly fine to include a letter.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Good question would also be who would do this job if I wasn't here. If it is a nurse, porter, catering staff, personal support workers, cleaning staff, etc. she shouldn't do. If the job wouldn't get done if there were no volunteers that is different. I would speak to the volunteer coordinator at the hospital and be very clear about her limitations. Given hospital budgets volunteer often do help regular staff do tasks. Things like visiting patients are usually the safest.