+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Elementary Schools in B.C. Enquiries

May 11, 2021
Hi,

Thanks for checking my message. I have a 11 years old son and a 8 years old daugter, and I'm gonna relocate to B.C. Vancouver soon. I know nothing about the schooling system in B.C; when should I help my kids register schools? is there any deadline for a school year? does my son still fit the elementary curriculum? Which part of B.C would be better for a family with kids to settle? does anyone have this kinda experience before?

Appreciated!!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,

Thanks for checking my message. I have a 11 years old son and a 8 years old daugter, and I'm gonna relocate to B.C. Vancouver soon. I know nothing about the schooling system in B.C; when should I help my kids register schools? is there any deadline for a school year? does my son still fit the elementary curriculum? Which part of B.C would be better for a family with kids to settle? does anyone have this kinda experience before?

Appreciated!!
Where you qualify to study in a public school is primarily dependent on where you live. You will need to relocate based on where you find work, your budget, access to transportation, etc. while considering the school district. Schools will be required to accept your child no matter when you arrive if you proe you now live in the catchment area. Registration is based on age.

Reactions: YVR123

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
OP hasn't indicated they will be moving to Vancouver. Until you have an address and proof of that address you won't be able to register your child.
OP clearly mentioned relocate to BC Vancouver. You can start over reading your quoted message again.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
OP clearly mentioned relocate to BC Vancouver. You can start over reading your quoted message again.
Actually OP isn't sure yet if he/she asked "Which part of B.C would be better for a family with kids to settle? ".

I think OP think of "Vancouver" as a general area. Not city of Vancouver. So until they know where they will live, we don't know which school district they will be in.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Actually OP isn't sure yet if he/she asked "Which part of B.C would be better for a family with kids to settle? ".

I think OP think of "Vancouver" as a general area. Not city of Vancouver. So until they know where they will live, we don't know which school district they will be in.
Even so, there are just so many neighborhoods within the city of Vancouver to choose from such as Collingwood, Kitsilano, Yaletown, Coal Harbour, South Vancouver, etc. There are so many to choose from, so I don't have any suggestion which neighborhood is better for families with kids to settle.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Even so, there are just so many neighborhoods within the city of Vancouver to choose from such as Collingwood, Kitsilano, Yaletown, Coal Harbour, South Vancouver, etc. There are so many to choose from, so I don't have any suggestion which neighborhood is better for families with kids to settle.
Agree that there are so many factors. Except really obvious area (DT eastside), most area have school and are OK with raising kids. Better or not depends on what OP likes and needs. (commute to work? walkable to shops and restaurants? parks near by? lifestyle?...etc)

May 11, 2021
Where you qualify to study in a public school is primarily dependent on where you live. You will need to relocate based on where you find work, your budget, access to transportation, etc. while considering the school district. Schools will be required to accept your child no matter when you arrive if you proe you now live in the catchment area. Registration is based on age.
Thanks for your time. My job is gonna relocate to Burnaby B.C., but it's gonna be work-from-home all the time. Talking of "access to transportation", it's the part i'v not considered it yet. So, my first task is to find a place where my kids can easily access schools, but where should i start? B.C. is huge!! i gotta do some research now. Thx for your suggestions!!

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks for your time. My job is gonna relocate to Burnaby B.C., but it's gonna be work-from-home all the time. Talking of "access to transportation", it's the part i'v not considered it yet. So, my first task is to find a place where my kids can easily access schools, but where should i start? B.C. is huge!! i gotta do some research now. Thx for your suggestions!!
Even Burnaby, there are so many neighborhoods such as Burnaby North and Capitol hill.

May 11, 2021
Agree that there are so many factors. Except really obvious area (DT eastside), most area have school and are OK with raising kids. Better or not depends on what OP likes and needs. (commute to work? walkable to shops and restaurants? parks near by? lifestyle?...etc)
My family is simple, but we usually put our kids first; if not, my kids gonna complaint to me all day. All i need is to find a place or an area where is easy and safe for my kids get to schools and back home first. Thx for your time!!

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My family is simple, but we usually put our kids first; if not, my kids gonna complaint to me all day. All i need is to find a place or an area where is easy and safe for my kids get to schools and back home first. Thx for your time!!
With the recent ten days consecutive gang shootings and stabbing in North Vancouver, I'm speechless about how safety it is across the metro Vancouver area.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
When talking about BC your housing budget narrows down your options.