+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Elementary school for a minor children

Lotus2015

Jan 1, 2015
Hi,
Am I eligible to get a study permit for my son at a public elementary school? he is in grade one and I am divorced and I have got the sole legal custody
and I have got my PR.
Thanks in advance

polara69

Mar 9, 2013
Lotus2015 said:
Hi,
Am I eligible to get a study permit for my son at a public elementary school? he is in grade one and I am divorced and I have got the sole legal custody
and I have got my PR.
Thanks in advance
Why does the kid need a study permit? Just enroll him in school and that is it.

Lotus2015

Jan 1, 2015
polara69 said:
Why does the kid need a study permit? Just enroll him in school and that is it.
Because I am unable to get my son as an immigrant that's why I am thinking to get him as a student through a study permit. I was told that I should pay 12000 CAD yearly to enroll to public school because he is not a PR holder. Is that right?

polara69

Mar 9, 2013
Well, that is probably the point I do not understand. You are a permanent resident, your son is in your care, there should be nothing stopping you from enrolling him. A study permit you only need for post secondary education, like college or university. I my opinion you have the right and obligation to send your son to school.

They say your son is not a PR holder.. how come? He cannot be a tourist, he cannot be anything else. Did you both come to Canada together? The whole thing I find is very complicated for nothing..

Lotus2015

Jan 1, 2015
polara69 said:
Well, that is probably the point I do not understand. You are a permanent resident, your son is in your care, there should be nothing stopping you from enrolling him. A study permit you only need for post secondary education, like college or university. I my opinion you have the right and obligation to send your son to school.

They say your son is not a PR holder.. how come? He cannot be a tourist, he cannot be anything else. Did you both come to Canada together? The whole thing I find is very complicated for nothing..
no my son did not come with me because i was unable to get him with me as an immigrant because of the lack of the consent of the non accompanying parent (his father) although i have the legal sole custody. I was trying to get a court order from my country to allow my son to immigrate with me but so fare I am unable to get this court order to replace the required consent to sponsor my son. What I am trying to do now to keep my son with me is to get a study permit for him to issue a study visa to get my son with me to canada.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
polara69 said:
Well, that is probably the point I do not understand. You are a permanent resident, your son is in your care, there should be nothing stopping you from enrolling him. A study permit you only need for post secondary education, like college or university.
Study permits are not limited to post secondary education.

amirsrima

Sep 29, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-07-2013
Doc's Request.
submitted with the application
IELTS Request
submitted with the application
File Transfer...
15-08-2014
Med's Request
18-08-2014 (plus RPRF & Update Information Chart, PPR1)
Med's Done....
7-11-2014
Interview........
DM: 11-11-2014
Passport Req..
PPR2 15-11-2014 SUBMITTED: 20-11-2014
VISA ISSUED...
05-01-2015
LANDED..........
June 2015
Lotus2015 said:
no my son did not come with me because i was unable to get him with me as an immigrant because of the lack of the consent of the non accompanying parent (his father) although i have the legal sole custody. I was trying to get a court order from my country to allow my son to immigrate with me but so fare I am unable to get this court order to replace the required consent to sponsor my son. What I am trying to do now to keep my son with me is to get a study permit for him to issue a study visa to get my son with me to canada.
Hi, sorry but I feel during study permit / visa you will face the same issue during the procedure. so keep alternates open and keep trying for them.
Otherwise YES your son may join school, as you being a single parent here and could be legal guardian and financer (even if not considered under parent category, as bit odd case). I am confident if you don't have issues in the back yard, he would be logically here.

As far as your concerns over fees (12000 CAD), I would say its secondary topic, once he is here - some other options may pop in ;). What I doubt if authorities start checking / asking yourself for proof of funds, would it be possible???
Good luck