+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Electronic citizenship certificates

s3nr1

Star Member
May 11, 2013
I got the option to select before the oath-taking. Is there an inherent issue with opting for the e-cert? I think a paper cert would be more tangible and I mean, if you print it out with a lemon printer, no one would take it being official. And also anything electronic can be lost if their server gets hack or whatever :)

As part of the on-going initiative to modernize and digitize the Citizenship Program, Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) is now issuing two types of citizenship certificates: a new, electronic format of the citizenship certificate (e-certificate) and the paper certificate. Applicants are not able to have both formats, but you may print your e-certificate and save the link to the e-certificate if you choose the electronic format.

Electronic certificates have the same value as paper certificates, but they are available in a digital format. E-certificates are available for download in the portal up to 5 business days after the ceremony (once you submit your signed Oath or Affirmation of Citizenship form). You can print your e-certificate. The e-certificate is generally received by applicants faster than paper certificates, as paper certificates need to be sent in the mail unless you are attending an in-person ceremony.

As you prepare to attend your ceremony, you can take this time to decide which format you prefer. During the citizenship ceremony registration, we will confirm which type of citizenship certificate you wish to receive.

As a reminder, before a certificate is provided, applicants attend a ceremony and take the Oath of Citizenship. Then, applicants sign and return the Oath or Affirmation of Citizenship form. If applicants are not required to take the Oath of Citizenship, they receive their certificate shortly after their application is finalized.

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
I got the option to select before the oath-taking. Is there an inherent issue with opting for the e-cert? I think a paper cert would be more tangible and I mean, if you print it out with a lemon printer, no one would take it being official. And also anything electronic can be lost if their server gets hack or whatever :)
But you can always download it and keep backup of it at multiple places. Paper if it's lost to get a new one the processing time is close to a year.

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
But you can always download it and keep backup of it at multiple places. Paper if it's lost to get a new one the processing time is close to a year.
Yeah, but there are very rare situations when people actually need it once they have a passport. You don't even need it to renew a lost one. The delay is mostly problematic for people applying for a proof of citizenship for the first time, not for citizenship grant applicants.
Tbh, it's mainly a matter of choice, and whether a couple weeks or a month delay matters to the applicant.

Reactions: summaiya_t

summaiya_t

Star Member
Nov 10, 2020
Yeah, but there are very rare situations when people actually need it once they have a passport. You don't even need it to renew a lost one. The delay is mostly problematic for people applying for a proof of citizenship for the first time, not for citizenship grant applicants.
Tbh, it's mainly a matter of choice, and whether a couple weeks or a month delay matters to the applicant.
A citizenship certificate is surely needed to renew a lost passport. You can double check.

lr108

Star Member
May 10, 2023
e-cert and paper cert have different starting serial. So whoever is looking at your printed e-cert will immediately know it is e-cert after looking at the starting letter of the the serial no. It'll start with an X.

walter_white

Aug 30, 2019
If the server gets hacked in the way that you mean, they wouldn't be able to validate either paper or electronic certificates. So doesn't really matter :)

s3nr1

Star Member
May 11, 2013
It's been many months for me but wherever you downloaded the e-cert initially, I think you can re-download as many times as you want from the same place. It will be the same one that you sent for the passport application.

I don't think anyone can misuse it without other details like SIN.

After that, you should email yourself that file so you will always have access to it more easily.

Dear friends,

I am in great agony, i got my e certificate and i downloaded it but the usb i put it in to print, i cant find it. Do i have to get a replacement citizenship certificate? Can anyone misuse the electronic citizenship certificate?
I put my application for passport with the same citizenship certificate, is there an issue here? Like if i cant find the usb, do i have to get a replacement e certificate and then do i have to get a new passport?
Ircc website says if you lost or the citizenship certificate is stolen then apply for replacement and notify police, but they dont mention electronic certificate.

I had 12 hours of happiness when i got the electronic certificate and next day this happened. I am in too much pain and frustration. Please help me! God bless!

Thank you