+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Electronic citizenship certificates

Vilmar

Nov 19, 2018

firstax

Dec 8, 2018
Starting from January 4, all citizenship applications will receive e-certificates instead of paper ones:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/proof-citizenship/valid.html#e-certificates

Some applications submitted before January 4 may receive an option to receive an e-certificate. I wonder at what stage f the process would they send the invitation, I'd rather receive an e-certificate than a paper one, seems to be way more convenient.
I kinda feel like IRCC staff are not fully embracing new technology in processing applications. Maybe they are scares that if it goes fully digital then they'll lose their jobs.

Like if thousands of applicants can write the tests online at the same time then thousands of applicants can also do the oath at the same time.

They can easily take pics before and after cutting the PR card and then recite the oath and print out the e-certificate when the officers verify it.

They can easily make a pilot test run for all those waiting for over 1 year.

medwiz

May 25, 2014
Starting from January 4, all citizenship applications will receive e-certificates instead of paper ones:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/proof-citizenship/valid.html#e-certificates

Some applications submitted before January 4 may receive an option to receive an e-certificate. I wonder at what stage f the process would they send the invitation, I'd rather receive an e-certificate than a paper one, seems to be way more convenient.
If virtual oath ceremonies will continue indefinitely this will definitely be better than waiting for the paper certificate to arrive in the mail

shiremag

Champion Member
Jun 14, 2022
I wish they had made this available as a choice for people who applied before Jan 5, 2023 as well by sending us an e-mail. Looks like only a select set of people will be receiving this e-mail if you applied before Jan 5, 2023... I hope people who apply after Jan 4, 2023 will take advantage of this :)

Reactions: Kornet and medwiz

firstax

Dec 8, 2018
They should make it the default. Saves millions of dollars over the years in printing and postage. Plus they wouldn't have to deal with certificates lost in transit or replacing a certificate ever again. They should seriously consider this.

I mean it's just a piece of paper that would be mostly used once to apply for a passport and then stored as a relic.

firstax

Dec 8, 2018
Was there a comment deleted about if the system is hacked bla bla bla ? Lol most people don't understand how anything works. Would you rather have cash that can get lost or money in the bank?

Plus whatever means of proving citizenship you provide IRCC still has to verify you in their systems.

The only thing you need the certificate for is to apply for a passport, after that it's just a document that can sit in the shelf forever.

Please don't suggest IRCC go back to horse drawn carriage and typewriters. Lots of persons need their citizenship asap. IRCC looks at feedback when developing new programs.

Reactions: Goga86 and Kornet

crayonmath

Jul 24, 2017
what does this mean for applying for OCI and surrender of indian citizenship? does anyone know if theyd be finnicky with the printouts being not the original documents?

BLord

Apr 24, 2023
The option to receive an e-certificate is only available to NEXUS applicants who have submitted their applications before January 4, 2022. If you have applied before that date, you may receive an email invitation to opt-in for an e-certificate.The NEXUS card is an essential part of the program, and it is issued to approved applicants.You can check the current processing times for NEXUS applications on the official website of the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) or the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA).You may also find helpful information about the NEXUS program and applications on various online forums and discussion post writing service.Some popular ones include essay about FlyerTalk and Reddit's r/travel and r/NEXUS subreddits.

owleroz

Feb 22, 2018
The option to receive an e-certificate is only available to NEXUS applicants who have submitted their applications before January 4, 2022. If you have applied before that date, you may receive an email invitation to opt-in for an e-certificate.The NEXUS card is an essential part of the program, and it is issued to approved applicants.You can check the current processing times for NEXUS applications on the official website of the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) or the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA).You may also find helpful information about the NEXUS program and applications on various online forums and discussion post writing service.Some popular ones include essay about FlyerTalk and Reddit's r/travel and r/NEXUS subreddits.
Thanks for the details. Do they automatically check if you are enrolled in Nexus or do you have to provide the details ?

yyzstudent

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2015

I am not, nor have I ever, enrolled in the nexus program, yet the option to select E-certificate was there when I applied match 22, 2023.

At present time, anyone wanting E-certificate can chose that option. There is no requirement to be enrolled in Nexus.