+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Electrical Engineering, application related

Jinkin

May 20, 2014
Greetings!

Sorry if a repost, I tried searching and found no clear solution. I was wondering if you could enlighten me little bit more on Co-op issue (how can I know if the university I am applying to provides such facilities), please. I am planning on applying for Electrical Engineering Masters but not sure about MSc or MEng. I would prefer the one that leads to better job prospects eventually and I do know the basic differences, but was wondering if there are any preferences in the job market for the one or the other. I must add, I have no prior job experience in the field.

I will be applying to around 3 Universities, York, University of Alberta and University of British Columbia. Totally confused about what the better choice would be.

My profile:

O levels: 7 A (94%)
A levels: 3 A (91%)
BSc Electrical Engineering: 3.4
IELTS: 8

No prior job experience in field.

Thanks in advance. Cheesy

zhenyu

Star Member
May 9, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Jinkin said:
Greetings!

Sorry if a repost, I tried searching and found no clear solution. I was wondering if you could enlighten me little bit more on Co-op issue (how can I know if the university I am applying to provides such facilities), please. I am planning on applying for Electrical Engineering Masters but not sure about MSc or MEng. I would prefer the one that leads to better job prospects eventually and I do know the basic differences, but was wondering if there are any preferences in the job market for the one or the other. I must add, I have no prior job experience in the field.

I will be applying to around 3 Universities, York, University of Alberta and University of British Columbia. Totally confused about what the better choice would be.

My profile:

both are very well universities, if i choice, i will study in university of alberta.

mizan776

Jan 27, 2014
Muscat, Oman
Category........
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-06-2014
Med's Request
Exempted
Med's Done....
Exempted
Interview........
Exempted
Passport Req..
21-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
21-07-2014
LANDED..........
19-08-2014
Jinkin said:
Greetings!

My profile:

You have good BSc result. But for the universities you mentioned, its very competitive to get in even with that GPA. Co-Op depends from univ to univ. Nearly all the universities and department have Co-Op options. But that' doesn't guarantee you a Co-Op placement. For the Co-Op, you will need to find it yourself just like searching any other job unless your going to some well reputed universities like Mcgill, Waterloo etc.

Now I you need to be clear whether you shall apply for MSc or MEng

MSc This is a research based program. Mainly working on thesis is the objective in this. For admission into this, you will need to secure a supervisor prior to your application to univ. This is not must. But recommended. That means you will need to check on professor of the department whose research interest you are interested in. And mail them to see if they can supervise you or not. Most of the time they won't reply back. It all depends on luck and your research profile. If you don't find a supervisor by yourself, your file gets circulated among the professors after application to check if anyone is interested. For this program the seats are limited and only given to those who have the crave for carrying out research in the field. Also the Professor is most likely to fund you for the program. This is more like a full time job for 2 yrs. Not sure about job market in comparison to MEng. But I heard definitely MSc is given better preference. Also after MSc the option of PhD is open.

MEng This is course based or project based program. No issues of research in this. Admission depends from univ to univ. Some univ require supervisor recommendation prior to application. But most of them don't need. There are no funds provided here. It's fully self funded. And you won't have the option to pursue PhD after this degree.

I suggest, broaden up your application. Apply to at-least 4-6 universities for being on the safer side.

Hope my long essay helps you.

Cheers

Jinkin

May 20, 2014
Thanks for the greats answer! I really appreciate that :)

However, now I am in an even greater dilemma. I was planning on funding my studies myself and that was most likely MEng but after your opinion I am even more divided. The ranking/reputation of the University is a priority too that's why I want to make sure I take the absolutely right decision in terms of location and course. If MSc is more preferable, then I'd rather go for GRE scores and apply in USA I guess. One of the reasons for choosing Canada was the lower tuition fees for the MEng degrees.

Anyways, I am completely lost for the time being.

mizan776

Jan 27, 2014
Muscat, Oman
Category........
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-06-2014
Med's Request
Exempted
Med's Done....
Exempted
Interview........
Exempted
Passport Req..
21-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
21-07-2014
LANDED..........
19-08-2014
Don't worry on rankings. In Canada you shall receive quality education. More or less you shall be studying the same courses which ever university you get in. Almost 90% of the courses are similar. Even though the univs might be lower ranked, in Canada they have a lot of demand. Just make sure proper research activity leading to PhD are offered as well as the univ is recognized.

Agree that canadian univs have lower fees compared to US. But on the other hand its competitive to get into a well ranked univ. BTW, where did you do ur bachelors? Send me an inbox if you would like to connect and need some help