+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

EI Regular Benefits Discrepancies

jithucan123

Feb 19, 2015
Hello Guys,

I was laid off from my job on March this year and I have applied for EI on April 2018. I got approved for EI regular benefits up to 2019 March.

But just now I got an email and when I checked my EI Account online it said my regular EI benefits got end this September 9, 2018. It also says "You may still qualify for regular benefits if you have worked enough hours since the start of your last claim. You can complete an application online by selecting Apply for EI online from the My Service Canada Account home page." Since I have total insurable hours of 1246, I have again applied for EI regular benefits and it may take few days to get approved / rejected.

I have no idea why this happened? The last time when I checked it says EI Benefit will end on 2019 March and today it says EI Benefits ended on September 9, 2018.

Is it normal or do I have to worry ?

Expecting your reply

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Is this your first EI benefit claim of ANY nature? Have you been regular in doing your EI reports? Were the hours you stated were they all connected in the proceeding 12 month period, known as the qualifying period, to the date of your claim?
Please give a timeline for the last two years, if applicable and all insurable hours connected with those jobs. If not sure, see the records of employment, the insurable hours will be stated there. Did you receive any payments from the job you were laid off, example severance ? Vacation pay? If you received severance pay for example, that can reduce the amount of EI payments that you would receive.

Last edited:

jithucan123

Feb 19, 2015
Is this your first EI benefit claim of ANY nature? Have you been regular in doing your EI reports? Were the hours you stated were they all connected in the proceeding 12 month period, known as the qualifying period, to the date of your claim?
Please give a timeline for the last two years, if applicable and all insurable hours connected with those jobs. If not sure, see the records of employment, the insurable hours will be stated there. Did you receive any payments from the job you were laid off, example severance ? Vacation pay? If you received severance pay for example, that can reduce the amount of EI payments that you would receive.
Hi,

Yes this is my first claim and I am regular in doing my EI reports.

The total Insurable hours, as per ROE is 1246. I haven't received any payments since March 2018.

But still I don't know what happened.

I got my EI approval notification on April 9, 2018 and exactly after 5 months (23 weeks) on September 9, 2018 it says my benefit period end. So I believe I may need to apply for EI regular benefits one more time, may be for next 5 more months. I am not sure just guessing.

Thanks

Thanks a lot for your reply.

Last edited:

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
What I would do is call EI, and see if your claim has been amended, or see if there was a secondary ROE was issued by your employer that changed those insurable hours. If you did not receive ANY severance payments, vacation pay, from the information you provided, I would check with Service Canada. As well you can go online and see what has happened with it as well