+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

EI payment while out of country

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Calling service Canada will not help. It has to be done online. The online report is like a digital signature and has to be filed every two weeks. Im pretty sure service Canada are not going to 'black out' dates for you.
SIX years after your claim!! WOW, I know two years after for sure...lol
You can have an extended vacation on ei, you just wont be paid. They dont care what your doing AS LONG as they are NOT paying you.
When they pay then they care. I spent a month out of the country and kept filing my reports every two weeks stating that i was out of the country. When i returned to Canada i filed my report saying im back in Canada and my payments started back up.
I’m aware I’m replying to something three years old
I took calls for EI claims for one year . You know the number you call for EI Benefits at ESDC .Yes you can do this over the phone , otherwise I was screwing up for over a year doing it , and our training was wrong .

GigiPondz

Nov 13, 2022
Hi Tanukib,

I was wondering if you could share your experience and answers to the questions you asked Anaysa? Sadly, I’m in the same situation where I’ve been unexpectedly laid off, but I had already booked and paid for flights and hotels months in advance. My planned vacation will start two weeks after my last day of work and I will be out of the country for a month. My employer will have to pay me my last pay cheque and my accumulated vacation hours.

I have two scenarios:

1.I am not sure if I should apply right away and inform that I had my annual vacation already paid for ( I will lose the money otherwise)? what is the best way to report this?

2. Should I wait for my return to apply? however, I read that you have to apply within 4 weeks after last day of employment. It will be past 6 weeks if I wait until I return. ‍ Is this true?

Thank you to anyone who can share some
light.

adarsh4339

Feb 14, 2023
Hi Tanukib,

I was wondering if you could share your experience and answers to the questions you asked Anaysa? Sadly, I’m in the same situation where I’ve been unexpectedly laid off, but I had already booked and paid for flights and hotels months in advance. My planned vacation will start two weeks after my last day of work and I will be out of the country for a month. My employer will have to pay me my last pay cheque and my accumulated vacation hours.

I have two scenarios:

1.I am not sure if I should apply right away and inform that I had my annual vacation already paid for ( I will lose the money otherwise)? what is the best way to report this?

2. Should I wait for my return to apply? however, I read that you have to apply within 4 weeks after last day of employment. It will be past 6 weeks if I wait until I return. ‍ Is this true?

Thank you to anyone who can share some
light.
Can you please update what happened in your case? if I am in the same boat.

GigiPondz

Nov 13, 2022
Can you please update what happened in your case? if I am in the same boat.
Hello Ardash,

I called Service Canada to confirm what was the best option for me. I started the EI claim to receive the security code on time before leaving. The agent let me know that travelling abroad is not an issue, as long as you inform them of your absence (by phone or throught the bi-weekly online reporting)and you will not be able to receive any EI benefit while your absent from the country (off course). You have to still do the bi-weekly reporting, but answer NO to the question “are you willing and available to work….” and follow the prompt questions after. Once you come back, you’ll either call them to notify them or indicate it on your next EI reporting and answer YES to the Q “Are you willing and available…” (if you are, don’t make any false claims). The system or the agent will then recognize that you are now eligible to receive your benefits.

Again, travelling is not considered a problem, people do it all the time, as per the agent. What is not allowed is to receive EI benefit while out of the country and making false declaration.

I suggest you calling them to know what to do in your specific situation. The agent can even help you to start your first reporting.

Hope it helps.

Reactions: YVR123 and canuck78

Rob2019

Oct 20, 2019
While on EI, I will be travelling out of Canada, and will report accordingly. Does the time of departure & return matter?
For example if I depart Canada on Monday at 11AM on Friday & return to Canada at 8PM, will I get paid for the day I travelled outside Canada & day of return to Canada?

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
While on EI, I will be travelling out of Canada, and will report accordingly. Does the time of departure & return matter?
For example if I depart Canada at 11AM on Friday & return to Canada at 8PM, will I get paid for the day I travelled outside Canada & day of return to Canada?

The exact time doesn’t matter. How long you will be out of Canada and unavailable to seek employment and return to work will be what matters when it comes qualifying for EI.

Sbs21

Aug 19, 2021
Hii
Can you pls confirm what happened in your case ?
My spouse already applied for EI and payments going to start after jan since her severance package is covering until Jan.
In this case can I travel to US for week during Christmas holidays ?
will EI be impacted ?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hii
Can you pls confirm what happened in your case ?
My spouse already applied for EI and payments going to start after jan since her severance package is covering until Jan.
In this case can I travel to US for week during Christmas holidays ?
will EI be impacted ?
Your travel is not an issue since you didn’t apply for EI.

Drebeat

Jun 5, 2013
Lot of experiences here and I only saw my question posted once but never answered.

My wife is on EI and wishes to go to visit the Philippines for a month and a half.

She intends on filling out her claim truthfully for the month and a half she is gone (out of country, not ready and willing to work etc) so none of that is an issue.

The only question we have is , assuming that on her departure, she has 28 weeks of EI and leaves Canada for 6 weeks and reports properly, upon her return will she have 22 weeks of benefits or, still have 28?

Reason why it is a bit confusing is that by filling out the bi weekly claims she is actively claiming 'nothing' yet is filling out a claim which has a two week term on it thus, she would be losing two weeks off the overall claim.

However, she is not receiving any benefits for those weeks so, nothing has happens so will still be eligible for those weeks benefits.

Edit:

Found what I was looking here.

"
Can I travel within or outside Canada while on EI?
Yes, you can! Unlike many rumors out there that say you are not allowed to go on vacation, you are permitted to do so as long as you declare in your EI report that you are “away” or “not available to look for work”. By declaring your unavailability for the week(s) you were on vacation, EI system will simply not pay your benefit for that week (Sunday to Saturday). For example, if you are going away on vacation on Monday and Tuesday, you will not be paid for those 2 days EI, therefore you are to be paid 3 out of 5 days; it still will count as 1 week of benefit payment. If you were on vacation for the entire week (Monday to Friday), no EI benefit will be paid out, therefore you don’t lose this week’s credit.

Keep in mind, each EI claim has a 1) total entitlement weeks and 2) an expiry date. For example, if you are entitled to receive 37 weeks of EI, that means in 20th week, if you have decided to go on vacation for 2 full weeks, coming back on a Sunday, you are available to be “available for work” on following Monday, you will be collecting your 21st week payment after your 2 weeks vacation.

In other words, your payment timeline just got pushed down 2 weeks. All you need to make sure is to collect your total entitlement weeks before your EI’s expiry date (52 weeks). Any unpaid EI benefit weeks will not be payable beyond the expiry of your claim.

If you are traveling away for more than 4 consecutive weeks, the system will freeze your claim for security reasons. Therefore, when you come back, you will have to re-activate your claim (same procedure as when you file your first online application). The application system will recognize you have an unexpired claim and will re-activate it. You still have to wait up to 21 business days for it to be back and running. Keep visiting the reporting site to see if you can start reporting. If yes, that is an indication your claim has been re-activated.

Remember, Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) shares your travel history with EI processing centre. If you don’t declare your travel abroad, EI integrity office will eventually send you a letter to inform you they have received your travel history and ask you to return the weeks of EI payments you should have not been entitled to."

Last edited:

lovekumar86

May 8, 2019
You will not receive ei whilst out of the country. I am currently on ei, have used ei before and have left the country twice whilst claiming it.
Unless you are able to prove that you physically come back to Canada during your time out of Canada for an interview/job, then you will not receive payment.

Trust me on this, I've tried numerous ways around this. Fact is, if you are not in Canada you will not be paid. You can argue open return ticket, laptop for skype interviews, phone calls etc. They only care about your physical presence within Canada.

To be clear, you will not receive ei whilst out of the country. Also don't lie to them about your time out of the country, they do check border entries. It can take a while sometimes two years, but they always find out and then you have to repay what they paid you plus interest.

Hope this helps. Good luck to you in your job search
hi Chevy23, can you please guide me in this situation. I am currently on EI and actively looking for jobs. I am aware that I go out of the country, I will not be paid EI but once I come back to Canada, will I start getting EI from the day I land in Canada? Kindly advise. Thank you in advance.