+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Effects of skills, level of education, and expertise on EE application

tosinosho1992

Star Member
Nov 4, 2010
Hi guys,

Just thought I should get your opinions on the effects of skills, level of education, and expertise on express entry application. I know the Canadian government always emphasize the importance of attracting the best minds from around the world, which I believe is part of the key goals of the skilled category. I am also aware that the visa officers are allowed to exercise good judgment in assessing an applicant. Do you think an applicant with excellent credentials (perhaps a doctorate) from an Ivy League university with a sound potential of contributing immensely to the Canadian growth and development would be denied PR because of a minor health issue?

The reason I ask the question is because I think we should start negotiating from a position of strength and not of weakness. Thanks.

CanadaWeCome

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Express Entry FSW Outlander
NOC Code......
4031/4032
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
Awaiting
AOR Received.
15-12-2015
IELTS Request
27-06-2015
If you look deeply at the policies they follow/adopt, the Canadian government cares a damn about the skills and achievements of the immigrants.
They will deny an applicant if s/he is say one day short on his required experience probably because he went on an unpaid leave or was genuinely unwell for a few days/weeks or as you rightly mentioned has some kind of illness which is very much curable with the help of current available modern sciences, just because it costs heavily on their society and he fails to fall in line with their rigid and ridiculous rules that they stick to like it's carved on stone.

It's all hog wash.

tosinosho1992

Star Member
Nov 4, 2010
CanadaWeCome said:
If you look deeply at the policies they follow/adopt, the Canadian government cares a damn about the skills and achievements of the immigrants.
They will deny an applicant if s/he is say one day short on his required experience probably because he went on an unpaid leave or was genuinely unwell for a few days/weeks or as you rightly mentioned has some kind of illness which is very much curable with the help of current available modern sciences, just because it costs heavily on their society and he fails to fall in line with their rigid and ridiculous rules that they stick to like it's carved on stone.

It's all hog wash.
You are right but I think it defeats the process of the skilled category that a rising star would be denied entry because of his/her condition. Canada spends millions of dollars to train international students through different doctoral programs, why would they want to send them back without getting a good return on their investments. I think the potential contributions of the individual should be weighed against their potential burden. Would Stephen Hawking be denied PR just because he has ALS?

tormentor

Star Member
Nov 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
tosinosho1992 said:
You are right but I think it defeats the process of the skilled category that a rising star would be denied entry because of his/her condition. Canada spends millions of dollars to train international students through different doctoral programs, why would they want to send them back without getting a good return on their investments. I think the potential contributions of the individual should be weighed against their potential burden. Would Stephen Hawking be denied PR just because he has ALS?
Arrgghhh!! This is a very valid point. The thing is that any large scale public system like immigration would have people who are wrongly shortchanged. It is almost impossible to have a perfectly designed system which works for everybody. Sometime these flaws contradict very fundamental objective of the system (like in this case). However, there is always a work around in some cases by appealing to the humanitarian channel, which involve placating the case in front of powers that be. For instance, the York professor who finally got his PR even after being rejected initially due to his kid having Down syndrome.

CanadaWeCome

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Express Entry FSW Outlander
NOC Code......
4031/4032
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
Awaiting
AOR Received.
15-12-2015
IELTS Request
27-06-2015
tosinosho1992 said:
I was not talking about International students, i was talking about normal immigrants who would like to immigrate.

By the way if you go by their laid policies and procedures, yes Stephen Hawking would be denied.

tosinosho1992

Star Member
Nov 4, 2010
tormentor said:
Arrgghhh!! This is a very valid point. The thing is that any large scale public system like immigration would have people who are wrongly shortchanged. It is almost impossible to have a perfectly designed system which works for everybody. Sometime these flaws contradict very fundamental objective of the system (like in this case). However, there is always a work around in some cases by appealing to the humanitarian channel, which involve placating the case in front of powers that be. For instance, the York professor who finally got his PR even after being rejected initially due to his kid having Down syndrome.
I just read about the York professor. He even said in his reply to the procedural fairness letter that he would not bear the cost of his child's treatment as a taxpayer; but his PR was granted. Very interesting.