Feb 17, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I have 1 year of work exp.
and as a proof I have following documents:
-12 months pay stubs
-relieving letter
-experience letter

both letter includes my position, start date , end date, job title. However it does not include job duties. Will that work??

rajanvnv

Champion Member
Jun 19, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
rkapoor said:
I have 1 year of work exp.
and as a proof I have following documents:
-12 months pay stubs
-relieving letter
-experience letter

both letter includes my position, start date , end date, job title. However it does not include job duties. Will that work??
It will not work. You would need a letter which lists down your roles and responsibilities, otherwise it difficult for CIC to asses you against a specific NOC.

nokia3315

Aug 12, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello please check the reply by Asivad Anac to see if that's of any help
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/employer-hr-refuses-official-job-letter-with-addnl-detailed-job-duties-t316445.0.html

achan88

Star Member
Nov 3, 2015
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
05-05-2017
AOR Received.
05-05-2017
Med's Done....
24-06-2017
Passport Req..
26-09-2017
rajanvnv said:
It will not work. You would need a letter which lists down your roles and responsibilities, otherwise it difficult for CIC to asses you against a specific NOC.
Can I show a project that I worked on during my Bachelor's curriculum as experience? I have the certificate of completion and the reference letter from the company. I have shown it as an unpaid co-op on my resume. Thank you.

nokia3315

Aug 12, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
achan88 said:
Can I show a project that I worked on during my Bachelor's curriculum as experience? I have the certificate of completion and the reference letter from the company. I have shown it as an unpaid co-op on my resume. Thank you.
I think any work during full-time study and unpaid work cannot be showed as work experience.

Please wait for more replies to confirm that.

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
nokia3315 said:
I think any work during full-time study and unpaid work cannot be showed as work experience.

Please wait for more replies to confirm that.
The first part of this statement is not correct.

Only work experience in Canada while being a full-time student in Canada doesn't count. Work experience In a foreign country while being a full-time student there counts. I can confirm this since I got PR and almost all my work experience was from a part time job during my (full-time) undergrad.

It is correct however that unpaid work experience never counts under any circumstances and it is irrelevant for your application what kind of duties you had during internships/co-ops etc.

About the original question: The only safe bet is ONE letter that states all of the necessary items
  • Your title(s)/position(s)
  • Your duties
  • Details about period of employment, number of hours etc
  • Your salary plus bonuses

Everything else (like a paystub plus a letter about your duties etc.) might work but it is a gamble. Believe me, it is worth putting a lot of effort into getting a crisp and clean letter from your employer. Your work experience usually is the only "soft criterium" where the CIC officer uses his/her own judgement (Education and money and health and language etc. are quite straightforward). Don't give them the chance to decline your application b/c of insufficient proof of work experience.

That said, better to have some other documentation than no documentation.

achan88

Star Member
Nov 3, 2015
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
05-05-2017
AOR Received.
05-05-2017
Med's Done....
24-06-2017
Passport Req..
26-09-2017
spyfy said:
It is correct however that unpaid work experience never counts under any circumstances and it is irrelevant for your application what kind of duties you had during internships/co-ops etc.
Damn. I will have to update my EE profile. Seems like this may cause my points to drop below 450. Well, better that than getting rejected due to misrepresentation. Thanks for the help. :D

nokia3315

Aug 12, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
spyfy said:
The first part of this statement is not correct.

Only work experience in Canada while being a full-time student in Canada doesn't count. Work experience In a foreign country while being a full-time student there counts. I can confirm this since I got PR and almost all my work experience was from a part time job during my (full-time) undergrad.

About the original question: The only safe bet is ONE letter that states all of the necessary items
  • Your title(s)/position(s)
  • Your duties
  • Details about period of employment, number of hours etc
  • Your salary plus bonuses

Everything else (like a paystub plus a letter about your duties etc.) might work but it is a gamble. Believe me, it is worth putting a lot of effort into getting a crisp and clean letter from your employer. Your work experience usually is the only "soft criterium" where the CIC officer uses his/her own judgement (Education and money and health and language etc. are quite straightforward). Don't give them the chance to decline your application b/c of insufficient proof of work experience.

That said, better to have some other documentation than no documentation.
spyfy my understanding was based on
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=393&t=29

Can I count part-time work toward the work experience requirement?

You can count part-time work toward the work experience requirement, as long as you were not a full-time student at the time.

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
nokia3315 said:
spyfy my understanding was based on
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=393&t=29

Can I count part-time work toward the work experience requirement?

You can count part-time work toward the work experience requirement, as long as you were not a full-time student at the time.
I initially read the exact same FAQ question and thought the same as you. Sometimes they mention the "while in Canada" thing, sometimes they don't. It's a fact though that I had only 951 hours of work while not being a student, but counting my hours while being a student I had about 2100 hours. Since 1560 is the minimum requirement, they must have counted my while-being-a-student-hours.

The FAQ is indeed wrong here. If you look at the actual regulations, it is clear:

The CEC regulations state the full-time student requirement, see 3(a) here:
http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/sor-2002-227/page-42.html#h-51

The FSW regulations do not state such a reason, see here:
http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/sor-2002-227/page-34.html#h-42

The reason for this rule is that CIC doesn't want you to come here on a study permit and work part-time, then drop the program and apply for CEC. That's why the introduced the rule for CEC: They don't want people to use study permits primarily as part-time work permits. For FSW, they don't mind how you got the experience as long as it was a paid job.

nokia3315

Aug 12, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
spyfy Thanks for the clarification. As you have got PR it speaks for itself.
But its a shame that CIC does't clearly state ''in Canada'' on their own website FAQ as many prospective applicants like your case may consider not applying after reading CIC FAQ unless they go through the forum or specifically this thread.