+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

EE declined and impact on spousal sponsorship

RaeShumba

Star Member
Nov 5, 2019
There is nothing stopping from leaving Canada. The issues are as follows: (1) If you leave, there's never a guarantee you'll be allowed back in and if for any reason you're denied entry, this would effectively cancel your application; (2) The inland route requires you to be cohabitating with your sponsor in Canada. If you spend too much time away, you risk having your application canceled for failing to meet this requirement.
Would you think 'holiday' trips of 2-3 weeks at a time would be deemed risky? Also, once a SS application has been submitted how long is the wait until a sponsor has been deemed eligible and we received a AOR on average do you know?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Would you think 'holiday' trips of 2-3 weeks at a time would be deemed risky? Also, once a SS application has been submitted how long is the wait until a sponsor has been deemed eligible and we received a AOR on average do you know?
One trip of 2-3 weeks is OK (don't go over 3 weeks). Multiple/frequent trips will likely land you in trouble.

Right now the OWP is granted 4-5 months after the full application is submitted. I believe AOR is received at around month 2-3. But AOR really doesn't help you in any way (i.e. doesn't get you a work permit and doesn't guarantee re-entry to Canada). You must also still cohabitation after AOR and limit trips. We've seen cases refused here where people didn't do that after AOR. If you really need flexibility to travel, inland spousal sponsorship is not the way to go. Ultimately you will have to decide between having full flexibility to travel and the ability to qualify for an open work permit. You can't have both.

Reactions: cansha

RaeShumba

Star Member
Nov 5, 2019
One trip of 2-3 weeks is OK (don't go over 3 weeks). Multiple/frequent trips will likely land you in trouble.

Right now the OWP is granted 4-5 months after the full application is submitted. I believe AOR is received at around month 2-3. But AOR really doesn't help you in any way (i.e. doesn't get you a work permit and doesn't guarantee re-entry to Canada). You must also still cohabitation after AOR and limit trips. We've seen cases refused here where people didn't do that after AOR. If you really need flexibility to travel, inland spousal sponsorship is not the way to go. Ultimately you will have to decide between having full flexibility to travel and the ability to qualify for an open work permit. You can't have both.
Thanks a lot for this. Apologies if I'm misunderstanding but with OWP is that 4-5 months after receiving AOR? Or from initial submission? My trip would be 2 weeks to UK shortly after submission, probably before an AOR is received (Im in Canada now and flying to UK 23rd March) - guessing that would be 'safe'?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks a lot for this. Apologies if I'm misunderstanding but with OWP is that 4-5 months after receiving AOR? Or from initial submission? My trip would be 2 weeks to UK shortly after submission, probably before an AOR is received (Im in Canada now and flying to UK 23rd March) - guessing that would be 'safe'?
OWP is 4-5 months from the submission date of the full application package (not AOR).

You'll be fine with one 2 week trip.

RaeShumba

Star Member
Nov 5, 2019
Ok, think you've convinced my SS is the best way to go... Thanks ever so much for your help, have a good weekend

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Ok, think you've convinced my SS is the best way to go... Thanks ever so much for your help, have a good weekend
It's really your only way right now. As scylla explained, your score is too low for an ITA and draws show no sign of going any lower anytime soon.

RaeShumba

Star Member
Nov 5, 2019
Bummer, ok thanks for the advice.
Would you happen to know how long an OWP lasts for? And does an OWP effectively replace my ETA as such, as a means of entering / residing in Canada during the interim period of my getting PR?