+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Education, Immigration, LMIA...

mooskan

Dec 4, 2016
Hi,
My message is going to be long so I'm sorry in advance. I'm just really confused and need help.

I'm doing a bachelors degree in education/teaching. My original plan was to do a masters degree in Special Education in Canada and then stay there as a elementary/secondry school teacher or special needs teacher, until I found out about "LMIA" which confused me a lot. On the internet it says LMIA is supposed to show that you, as a foreigner, are needed for that job and that there's no Canadians to do the job. I've been told so many times that there are tons of Canadians out there looking for teaching jobs so I don't think I have much of a chance as a foreigner. So this was my plan #1, which would cost me about $30,000 (tuition)

But it looked difficult because of what I'm studying so I decided to do a second bachelors degree in Canada after I'm done with my current one in may this year. I want to study something that is both interesting to me and in demand in Canada. I'm really interested in psychology, veterinary medicine, and architecture but I don't know if those are in demand in Canada so I'm open to pretty much anything if you have other suggestions. So this is my new plan and it will cost me around $80,000 (tuition) so it's much more expensive.

Now, LMIA. Say I studied psychology and found a job and I need LMIA, right? How though? Why would Canada need a me as a psychology major? That's what's confusing to me because like I said LMIA has to say that as a foreigner you're needed in Canada for that job. How do people immigrate then? LMIA sounds extremely difficult and picky.

I really don't know what to do right now. I don't understand LMIA, I don't know if my initial plan with teaching would work out, I don't know if my new plan (which will cost me at least three times more than my initial plan) is better for my future in Canada. I'm really really confused. All I want is to study there and find a job and stay there afterwards.

Thank you in advance.

xpressentry

VIP Member
Nov 27, 2016
London
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-03-2017
Doc's Request.
Schedule A - upfront
AOR Received.
29-03-2017
IELTS Request
Upfront
File Transfer...
Waiting
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
28-03-2017
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
Waiting
If you have years of work experience in NOC 0, A or B, good IELTS score and education, you can apply for PR through EE without the need of getting LMIA.

mooskan

Dec 4, 2016
xpressentry said:
If you have years of work experience in NOC 0, A or B, good IELTS score and education, you can apply for PR through EE without the need of getting LMIA.
How many years? Would 1 year in your own country and 1 year in Canada be enough?
And do you mean increasing your points on the point system of EE by work experience? I'll only have had 1 year of work experience when I go to Canada to study. I did an online test and pretended to have 2 years of work experience (1 here, 1 Canada) plus LMIA, and I still got 611 points, which is not that good right? So imagine not having LMIA, my points and chances would get even lower even if I had 2 years of experience, right?

xpressentry

VIP Member
Nov 27, 2016
London
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-03-2017
Doc's Request.
Schedule A - upfront
AOR Received.
29-03-2017
IELTS Request
Upfront
File Transfer...
Waiting
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
28-03-2017
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
Waiting
If you have 1 year minimum in Canada and 1 year minimum abroad, you can qualify under CEC and FSW. Take IELTS general.

mooskan

Dec 4, 2016
xpressentry said:
If you have 1 year minimum in Canada and 1 year minimum abroad, you can qualify under CEC and FSW. Take IELTS general.
And for CEC and FSW you don't need LMIA?

xpressentry

VIP Member
Nov 27, 2016
London
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-03-2017
Doc's Request.
Schedule A - upfront
AOR Received.
29-03-2017
IELTS Request
Upfront
File Transfer...
Waiting
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
28-03-2017
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
Waiting

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
mooskan said:
And for CEC and FSW you don't need LMIA?
[/quote

You don't need an LMIA. But you do need to have sufficient points to be selected out of the pool against other applicants. Simply qualifying doesn't guarantee selection. I would recommend you move over to the CEC section of the forum and join the discussions there.