+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Edmonton - (shared) room or common lodging-house?

franta

May 1, 2013
Hi there,

I had successfully applied for a Working Holiday visa, so now I'm just counting down the days :). It means I will be looking for a (shared) room in Edmonton very soon. Or do you have anything like common lodging-house in Edmonton? Hostels seem like the option, but it can get very pricey after few days I guess. I am a student so I have an ISIC if it helps.

Could you also give me any tips such as what part of the city should I avoid, where it isn't overpriced etc.? (I hope there is not a negative correlation between these two factors :p, or at least not a strong one.)

I guess I don't mind any neighborhood if it's not a problem to commute to job with the public transport system. Speaking of a job, I will try to focus at heavy manual work - do you guys know if there are any parts of Edmonton with factories, construction sites, etc.?

When I arrive, I'll probably spend a considerable time on kijiji or craiglist. Still, I think it is useful to know something in advance. (little OT: are there any walmarts or goodwills in Canada? The former for the food, the latter for the cheap books :p. Or anything similar?)

I appreciate every reply! Thanks a lot!

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
franta said:
(little OT: are there any walmarts or goodwills in Canada? The former for the food, the latter for the cheap books :p. Or anything similar?)

I appreciate every reply! Thanks a lot!
Go to walmart.ca and find a store in the city you desires!