Med's Done....
25 Feb 2012
Interview........
VISA ISSUED...
23-11-2012
LANDED..........
30 DEC 2012 EDMONTON Via Montreal YAHOO
Hi Friends,

Please go through the booklet and learn new skills necessary for Canada.

http://www.prepareforcanada.com/wp-content/uploads/9SoftSkills_PrepareforCanada.pdf

Cheers

Umair

Jul 28, 2010
Edmonton
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-05-2009
Doc's Request.
06-08-2009
AOR Received.
23-12-2009 ( 2nd )
Med's Request
21 Feb 2012
Med's Done....
25 Feb 2012
Interview........
VISA ISSUED...
23-11-2012
LANDED..........
30 DEC 2012 EDMONTON Via Montreal YAHOO
Watch this VIDEO::::::::https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvplrntfZqg

cheers :) :)

rawdah

Champion Member
May 8, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
LONDON
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-05-2013 PER Rec'd...: 07-08-2013
Doc's Request.
04-03-2014
Med's Request
23-09-2014
Med's Done....
24-09-2014
Passport Req..
PPR1:23-09-2014, PPR2: 20-10-2014
VISA ISSUED...
22-10-2014
LANDED..........
04-12-2014
dems said:
Hi,

We are planning to land in edmonton by march next year, what do you think, is march is favorable? We are family of 4(me, my wife, 1 toddler and 1 infant). What would be the requirements to show in the airport during landing? I am a civil planning engineer but i think it is difficult to find my profession in edmonton now. But i am also willing to get survival jobs as of the moment, is survival jobs is easy to find?

Please give insight, Thank you.
March will be cold & snowy. May will be better.

Keep ready to show at the airport the following:
Declaration Card (will be provided in the plane to fill)
Passport + COPR ( of each family member)
Proof of Settlement funds
Canadian address for PR Card, if you have one of your friends / relatives then you can give it or otherwise you can fax this detail later to CIC.
Goods to follow list with pics of jewelry (2 copy each)

Survival jobs in Walmart/Safeway/McDonalds/ Tim Hortons may be easy to get.

myat

Aug 23, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-12-2011
LANDED..........
28-09-2015 Landed
Hi fdk511,

Thanks for your information. Do you still have PPE Exam , Q&A sample or old questions or any other study materials? If yes, please let me have. I am going to take PPE Exam with APEGBC. Although APEGA and APEGBC format is a little bit different but main PPE questions are out from APEGA. APEGBC is modify version. That why if you still have Q&A for PPE Exam please send email to me. myatthusoe80@gmail.com is my email. Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,
Myat

fdk511 said:
I did get my P.Eng through APEGA, but I think my process was supported by having both my bachelor's and master's degrees from the US as well as having cleared the EIT/FE exam in the US, which exempted the requirement for degree/course evaluation. APEGA provides a highly detailed procedure at applyatapega.ca/?_ga=1.21896051.937908386.1415814551 in their online application guide.

Please review transcript requirements at applyatapega.ca/faqs.html#CanIusecopiesofmytranscriptsthatIhave) to make sure you can take care of this step which, while doable from within Canada, might be difficult to coordinate once you get here. There is a possibility that they conduct an evaluation and request you to complete additional courses or maybe write the Fundamentals exam (which I understand can be asked from non-North American graduates). You can (and should) register as an EIT at least in order to get yourself in the system.

Their application/registration process may have changed since the time I went through it, but for my specific case, I initiated my online application in December 2010 after I had received my landing visa/COPR and before landing. Reference checks took the longest (~ 2.5 months), and I wrote the NPPE (ethics exam) in April 2011 in Toronto and received my P.Eng in August 2011.

I don't know if you will be able to set this up to write an exam before landing, since the application review does take time. You can contact them to confirm if you can schedule the NPPE exam during your landing visit - I am not sure but I suspect they will allow you to write this exam while your application is in process. Hopefully, others reading this post and who have gone through this process with non-North American degrees can provide better guidance.

myat

Aug 23, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-12-2011
LANDED..........
28-09-2015 Landed
Hi fdk511,

As you are now a P.Eng , how do you prepare for NPPE exam? Any suggestion? And do you still have any old questions or study materials? I only have 2 recommend books for ethics and law . But if really need to read both books for all pages? If you still have old questions or any study materials , please send it to my email: myatthusoe80@gmail.com. And let me know your experience and preparation for NPPE. Thanks.

Myat

fdk511 said:
@MubeenMasud, congratulations on getting your COPR. If you are going for Postdoc, then you will have time to initiate the EIT process for any registration body like APEGA or PEO probably before landing if you start your online registration process and also submit your degrees/transcripts etc. I would think that with a Masters from Sweden and a PhD from the States, you will face minimal, if any, requirements for any additional remedial coursework.

I chose APEGA because I wanted to settle there eventually, and didn't feel there will be many opportunities in Ontario. You can write the exam for any engineering body at another location, which is why I wrote my NPPE exam for APEGA at the PEO office in Toronto.

APEGA will award you up to 24 months of experience credit toward the overall 48 month requirement under the post-graduate degree part since your US PhD will be from an accredited institution. At a minimum, you are expected to have 1 year of North American experience and overall 48 months of work experience before you can be granted a P.Eng, BUT with the PhD credit, you will only need 2 more years of employment in North America under the supervision of a P.Eng before you can get your full P.Eng. I don't have sufficient information to guide you if post-doc work experience will count in that category unless your direct supervisor (who will probably be a professor with a PhD) also has a P.Eng.

Here are a few links to get you started. Please go through these and hopefully you will have a better understanding of the process.

http://newcomers.engineerscanada.ca/
http://newcomers.engineerscanada.ca/academic-information-tool
http://newcomers.engineerscanada.ca/engineering-canada
http://www.apega.ca/Applicants/pdf/General/GProcess.pdf
http://www.apega.ca/applicants/pdf/General/GPostGraduateAcademicStudiesExperienceCredit.pdf

pinoysg2010

Aug 28, 2014
Visa Office......
SGVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
8 October 2014
Nomination.....
PER: 15 Jan 2015
AOR Received.
18 Feb 2015
Med's Request
10 July 2015
Med's Done....
21 July 2015
Passport Req..
7 September 2015
VISA ISSUED...
23 September 2015
LANDED..........
Feb 2016
Hi we are planning to land in early 2016. How easy is it to rent a place in Edmonton as a new immigrant? I heard that landlords require a credit history to approve the lease but how to have credit history if we are new immigrants? Please help. Thanks!!!

fdk511

Star Member
Oct 30, 2014
Edmonton
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
myat said:
Hi fdk511,

As you are now a P.Eng , how do you prepare for NPPE exam? Any suggestion? And do you still have any old questions or study materials? I only have 2 recommend books for ethics and law . But if really need to read both books for all pages? If you still have old questions or any study materials , please send it to my email: myatthusoe80@gmail.com. And let me know your experience and preparation for NPPE. Thanks.

Myat
I read the books and the Engineering Act. The test is more along the lines of testing your English skills. I don't have any sample questions available. Don't worry too much over it. I read the books once, but given that I wrote the exam in April 2011, the most I can recall and share is that it won't be an onerous burden.

Poco_cro

Star Member
Oct 16, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15.12.2014. (3rd time!)
Nomination.....
PER 03.03.2015
IELTS Request
send with app
Med's Request
Med's Done....
myat said:
Hi fdk511,

Myat
Hy!

Onequestion form a fellow Civil / structural engineer form Europe, who will be landing in Edmonton at the first quarter of the 2016....
When the earliest can I apply to write NPPE exam?
Should I wait to have one year of canadian experience or can I do it sooner (I have more than 10 years CE experience in home country as well as Mater's degree and am eager to enter the job market as equal to others fellow engineers as soon as possible )

Is the one year Ca experience mandatory to be able to apply for NPPE?
What is the current situation in the (construction) sector?

So far I started APEGA licensing (final step - academics are on the way to APEGA). What should be my next (professional) step?

Regards,
Poco

dinesh865

Oct 28, 2015
Iam future student to edmonton please clarify how are part time job availability in edmonton? can students earn for accomodation? i found edmonton is too cool can new students cope up?

fdk511

Star Member
Oct 30, 2014
Edmonton
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Poco_cro said:
Hy!

Onequestion form a fellow Civil / structural engineer form Europe, who will be landing in Edmonton at the first quarter of the 2016....
When the earliest can I apply to write NPPE exam?
Should I wait to have one year of canadian experience or can I do it sooner (I have more than 10 years CE experience in home country as well as Mater's degree and am eager to enter the job market as equal to others fellow engineers as soon as possible )

Is the one year Ca experience mandatory to be able to apply for NPPE?
What is the current situation in the (construction) sector?

So far I started APEGA licensing (final step - academics are on the way to APEGA). What should be my next (professional) step?

Regards,
Poco
Your assessment results will establish your eligibility for writing the NPPE exam (also refer to http://www.applyatapega.ca/application-checklist.html). Given your experience level, you should be eligible to write the exam, but will retain EIT status until the 1-year North-American experience requirement is met. You shouldn't need 1-year North American experience to write the NPPE - 2-year minimum experience should be sufficient (and as per their checklist, they don't specifically state North-american experience as well). There is an email address "NPPE@apega.ca" in case you have further questions.

Right now, the market is in a huge state of flux in Alberta, but the rest of Canada is still a mixed bet. Out-of-work locals are struggling to find a job, so quite frankly, I don't have any specific guidance for you. Market yourself through your resume and cover letter, connect on LinkedIn with recruiters and others in your sector, and be flexible on location for your first job.

dems

Apr 30, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
LVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Sep. 29, 2014
Doc's Request.
photo request - 6-Feb-15
Nomination.....
PER: 9-Jan-15
File Transfer...
SLU updated 26Aug15, upto 5th Line update - 29Aug15
Med's Request
04-Sep-15
Med's Done....
14-Sep-15, except for our new born MR received 27Oct15
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
11-Nov-15
VISA ISSUED...
7-Dec-15
LANDED..........
In God's Time
Hi,

Good day Edmontonians!

I have a question, what if our flight to Edmonton have a stop over in toronto or vancouver. Is it mean our first landing formalities will be at toronto or vancouver immigration, not in Edmonton? What will happen to our record if that so, like PR CARD, HEALTH CARD?

Any comments will be highly appreciated!

Thank you

fdk511

Star Member
Oct 30, 2014
Edmonton
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
dems said:
Hi,

Good day Edmontonians!

I have a question, what if our flight to Edmonton have a stop over in toronto or vancouver. Is it mean our first landing formalities will be at toronto or vancouver immigration, not in Edmonton? What will happen to our record if that so, like PR CARD, HEALTH CARD?

Thank you
Your landing formalities are completed in the first port of entry in Canada. Your PR card has nothing to do with where you land - if you provide an Edmonton address to the officer, your PR card will be mailed to that address.

For health card, you will apply in the city/province where you plan to settle. In Alberta, you would need to show proof of residency when applying for a health card and your COPR for proof of legal status in Canada. If you have a rental/lease agreement, that can work as proof of address. You are entitled for benefits the day you arrive. It takes 5 business days to process the application, but they backdate it to your date of arrival in the province.

nope

Oct 3, 2015
Umair said:
It is nice to know people are helping each other, and it really matters when no one knows you and some some listens to you and tries to help you out. Good for new commers. Keep it up.
I would like to offer a suggestion as well -- I'm an immigrant (United States), who has been living in Edmonton now for 3 years. When I first came here, my family and I found it difficult to get settled. We rented an apartment, which was too small for our family; but my employment situation was too unstable to afford a house, and certainly not a house in a nice neighbourhood. We didn't want to buy an old, damaged house in an inner-city neighbourhood with bad schools. Because of this, we lived in the apartment for almost two years, even though it nearly drove us insane (one child, and another on the way).

However, Canada has an institution that I never heard of in the United States -- housing co-ops. These are community associations that own houses or land, accept members, and rent to them at rates that are far under market value. You have to apply to the co-op, go through an orientation process, and then wait for a space to open up. They will ask for references, check your finances, and interview you to see if you will be a good fit for their community. If you're accepted, you go on a waiting list, and will be offered a house (or apartment, it depends on the co-op), when your name comes up. Sometimes the co-op has a community participation request -- that you participate in the self-government or maintenance for a few hours a month.

There are dozens of these co-ops in Edmonton. Their advantages are:
- high-quality living units for families, at very low prices
- you are part of a community, you get to know many people, of all ages and backgrounds
- you are not a renter, you cannot be kicked out, and when your rent goes up, it is because the co-op itself has decided (with your participation) that it needs to raise the rent
- there is no permanent time commitment, you can leave at any point

Why is this good? You can live in a house, in a good neighbourhood, without the commitment of spending your savings for a down payment, or taking out a mortgage. The disadvantage is that you are not building equity in a house (actually, there are co-ops where you do build equity, but ours is not one). Whether that is important to you or not will determine if you think this is an attractive option. For myself, my wife and I get to live in a 5 bedroom house in Riverdale, one of Edmonton's nicest neighbourhoods (no large streets running through, walking distance from downtown Jasper Avenue, wonderful school 2 blocks away, a strong sense of community), for $1170/month. This is probably about 50-60% of what what we would pay to rent a similar house here.

I am sure that many people plan to own a house -- but particularly now, when there is a decent chance that home prices will decline over the next 1-2 years, there is nothing wrong with simply saving money and waiting for the best opportunity to buy into the market. Moving into the co-op here has given us a stable, affordable, way to live that fits us in every way. If anyone is interested in looking at the co-ops that exist, here is a web site:

http://www.nacha.ca/CoopListing/tabid/56/Default.aspx

I'm writing this because this is a distinctive and attractive option, that it is difficult to find out about -- it is only by chance that I learned of it, which is maybe my fault; as an American, one sometimes thinks that they understand everything about Canada, but that is not the case . . . :)

tbaba

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2014
Nigeria
Category........
Visa Office......
AVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07/11/2014
Nomination.....
PER 12/03/2015
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
01-04-2015
Med's Request
24-07-2015
Med's Done....
27-07-2015
Interview........
Telephone interview on 25/02/2016
Passport Req..
29-02-2016
VISA ISSUED...
21-03-2016
LANDED..........
28-05-2016
nope said:
I would like to offer a suggestion as well -- I'm an immigrant (United States), who has been living in Edmonton now for 3 years. When I first came here, my family and I found it difficult to get settled. We rented an apartment, which was too small for our family; but my employment situation was too unstable to afford a house, and certainly not a house in a nice neighbourhood. We didn't want to buy an old, damaged house in an inner-city neighbourhood with bad schools. Because of this, we lived in the apartment for almost two years, even though it nearly drove us insane (one child, and another on the way).

However, Canada has an institution that I never heard of in the United States -- housing co-ops. These are community associations that own houses or land, accept members, and rent to them at rates that are far under market value. You have to apply to the co-op, go through an orientation process, and then wait for a space to open up. They will ask for references, check your finances, and interview you to see if you will be a good fit for their community. If you're accepted, you go on a waiting list, and will be offered a house (or apartment, it depends on the co-op), when your name comes up. Sometimes the co-op has a community participation request -- that you participate in the self-government or maintenance for a few hours a month.

There are dozens of these co-ops in Edmonton. Their advantages are:
- high-quality living units for families, at very low prices
- you are part of a community, you get to know many people, of all ages and backgrounds
- you are not a renter, you cannot be kicked out, and when your rent goes up, it is because the co-op itself has decided (with your participation) that it needs to raise the rent
- there is no permanent time commitment, you can leave at any point

Why is this good? You can live in a house, in a good neighbourhood, without the commitment of spending your savings for a down payment, or taking out a mortgage. The disadvantage is that you are not building equity in a house (actually, there are co-ops where you do build equity, but ours is not one). Whether that is important to you or not will determine if you think this is an attractive option. For myself, my wife and I get to live in a 5 bedroom house in Riverdale, one of Edmonton's nicest neighbourhoods (no large streets running through, walking distance from downtown Jasper Avenue, wonderful school 2 blocks away, a strong sense of community), for $1170/month. This is probably about 50-60% of what what we would pay to rent a similar house here.

I am sure that many people plan to own a house -- but particularly now, when there is a decent chance that home prices will decline over the next 1-2 years, there is nothing wrong with simply saving money and waiting for the best opportunity to buy into the market. Moving into the co-op here has given us a stable, affordable, way to live that fits us in every way. If anyone is interested in looking at the co-ops that exist, here is a web site:

http://www.nacha.ca/CoopListing/tabid/56/Default.aspx

I'm writing this because this is a distinctive and attractive option, that it is difficult to find out about -- it is only by chance that I learned of it, which is maybe my fault; as an American, one sometimes thinks that they understand everything about Canada, but that is not the case . . . :)
thanks for the information. +1 for you

Poco_cro

Star Member
Oct 16, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15.12.2014. (3rd time!)
Nomination.....
PER 03.03.2015
IELTS Request
send with app
Med's Request
Med's Done....
dems said:
Hi,

Good day Edmontonians!

Thank you

If you have not jet buyed tickets, look up for a KLM connection from Amsterdam directly to Edmonton.
If you are comming from Asia there should also be some direct flight to Edmonton.