25 Feb 2012
Interview........
VISA ISSUED...
23-11-2012
LANDED..........
30 DEC 2012 EDMONTON Via Montreal YAHOO
sheikh958 said:
Dear experts
Can you tell me how to get government subsidized apartment in edmonton and calgary. How long does it take to get. I have a kid of 2years and expecting the 2nd one in January 2015. Landing is expected in November 2014.
regards
Gove subsidized housing are hard to get, new immigrants are not considered to be eligible as per our statement/declaration we are bringing with us enough funds to support our families at least 6 to 8 months. so after 8 months you can apply and they will look into your bank account family income and will decide to accept or reject any application. if it is eligible then your name will be put in queue and cant say when your turn comes. here you must be patience and if your family monthly income is lower what they consider to be eligible then you can apply. if it exceeds e.g 36,000 and above you can apply. They prefer if you are living in canada for more than one yaer. any senior who like to comment.

klmy

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore/Australia
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-1-12
Doc's Request.
Same day
Nomination.....
1-3-12
IELTS Request
Alongwith application
Med's Request
13-5-13
Med's Done....
26-5-13
Interview........
Waived ALHAMDOOLILAH
Passport Req..
26-7-13
VISA ISSUED...
7-8-13
Got 5G licence today ALHAMDOOLILAH :D :D

ttrajan

Champion Member
Oct 14, 2013
Category........
AINP
Job Offer........
Yes
LANDED..........
15-08-2012
Refer the following link for P.Eng from APEGA

http://www.applyatapega.ca/pm-application.html

klmy

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore/Australia
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-1-12
Doc's Request.
Same day
Nomination.....
1-3-12
IELTS Request
Alongwith application
Med's Request
13-5-13
Med's Done....
26-5-13
Interview........
Waived ALHAMDOOLILAH
Passport Req..
26-7-13
VISA ISSUED...
7-8-13
any auto insurance agent who can give good monthly rates to newcomers??? :(.. badly need that

edmonta

Nov 14, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
0711 & 9212
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-May-2010
Doc's Request.
30-sept-2010
AOR Received.
1st-30th Sept 2010,2nd-08th June 2011
IELTS Request
done-7 band
File Transfer...
dont know what is this..in process from 26 april 2012
Med's Request
19-July-2013
Med's Done....
30-July-2013,ECAS updated with Medicals received on 18-Aug-2013
Interview........
not been called for..
Passport Req..
19-July-13
VISA ISSUED...
On 4th October 2013
LANDED..........
July 2014
Landing:
Landed on Edmonton Airport from Mumbai-London-Edmonton route through Jet airways –Air Canada and landed @ 6.10 pm Edmonton time on 24th July 2014.
At the Passport Control:
At passport control, informed officers that we have come to do our 'landing'. The officer checked our Disembarkation Card and our passport/s & visa and directed us to "Newly Landed Immigrants' Counter". BTW,We collected our baggages after the passport control .
At the Immigration / Custom Counter:
Lady officer greeted here and asked us to show COPR & PP .She filled up our PR application ,asked us the address where we are going to stay and noted down on COPR as well. She asked us about goods to follow in future and we said no. Here she didn't ask for the POF or carrying goods list. COPR copies were attached to our respective passports and she said “Welcome to Canada and now you are PR of Alberta and Canada as well. Please save your COPR copies well until you get your PR cards as this is the only document on which you can travel back in case of Emergency before your PR card arrives.”She later on guided us towards exit and wished us again with smile. At the exit, my friends had come for pick up and drove us to his house where we stayed for 15 days.
Weather:
Temperature was @ 15 degree and for another couple of days it remained rainy and humid. The nicest thing about weather I found was the day was too long and I remember I played Cricket match @ 9.30pm with full sunlight!!Sunset time here from May to August end is @ 10 pm which is so good to see. In last two months temp. has been fluctuating from 0 to 25 deg.cel.with a day when we had -2 degee and some flurries for couple of hours.But overall the weather here remains pleasant and in the range of 10to 25 deg cel.
2nd day:
My friend took me to Service Canada first in Millbourne mall and got the SIN no. COPR and PP copies are required here so pl.ensure to carry those with you. Went to registry and applied for health card which I received after 10 days. Also opened up a/c in TD bank, submitted d/d for deposit and was informed that it will take 10-15 days for clearance. Got that d/d cleared on 17th day of arrival.( So make sure that u keep enough cash with you as you can see it takes 15-20days for d/d to be cleared.)
Accommodation:
Let me tell you that like jobs, accomdation is also in high demand here so one need to book the apartment, houses in advance .It took me around 10days to find out an apartment so if you are planning to land in Edmonton and have relatives or friend ,ask them to see and book one. Sometimes you even need to pay some application fees also.1 bhk would cost you @ 1000 $ and 2 bhk should be @ 1200.You can even get a bachelor suite with a big room and kitchen if u have a small family or only couple staying.
In Edmonton,Millwoods,Millbourne,South gate are the preferred areas for Immigrants. You will find many Asians particularly Indians and also have lots of grocery,veg. shops,restaurants around such areas. Please avoid downtown-Jasper,north,strathcona,Boney doon area in your initial days of staying as these areas are not safe and sometimes costlier as well.
Also for renting an apartment or house you need to have a cosigner who can sign the leasing documents and need to provide SIN no. or credit history for verification. Most of the apartments will be given to you in2nd week of the month as even if the landlord gets it vacated from the previous tenant, they take a week time to get those apartments clean up, paint, electronics appliance check up and cleaning, carpet cleaning etc.Apartments are mostly equipped with Dishwasher,cooker,refrigerator and shared laundry machines.
Job Search:
You can't ask for anything more when you have just come in Canada, applies on your third day of landing, gets an interview call on fifth day and gets an offer in second week.
YES!!It has happened and I can proudly say that I got selected in a first interview I faced in Canada and that too in my very own field!! The story doesn't end here. I had applied for the post which was in a lower category than what I was eligible for and got a job which was even in higher rank than what I had worked previously. While interviewing, my employer found me more capable of doing the job than they had advertised and offered me the position which I had not even imagined..!!and that is why Canada is called a place of opportunities..On the fifteen day of my landing, I got recruited and started the job with an immediate effect.
Driving License:
One of the things where I did a mistake was about my driving license. Before coming to Canada, I was in Middle East and had a driving license. When I approached the driving registry, they told me that I can drive in Edmonton up to three months and can even buy a car so I was thinking to buy a car and start driving. The issue happened when I wanted to buy a car and approached insurance companies. On this point, I came to know that buying car was not an issue but the real problem was to get an insurance without Alberta driving license. Nobody was ready to give me an insurance without the license so I had to go back to the basics and started preparing for the knowledge test. I wasted around a month thinking that I will be buying a car soon but could not due to the insurance issues. Later on cleared the knowledge test and my road test is due in a couple of days. My Job is only 5 kms from where I am staying and Bus services are good here with reasonably good frequencies. You can get Bus services almost everywhere in Edmonton.
City & Cost of living:
Overall Edmonton city is peaceful. Not very much crowded, people are nice, friendly and helping. It's very green in summer times and full of parks, gardens, picnic spots, walking trails.Edmontonains enjoy their summertime to its fullest and hence organize lots of festivals, sports & entertainment activities in summer times.
Other thing is Edmonton has jobs.I don't know about other places but right from the first day I applied for Canadian Immigration,I was sure about my decision to land in Edmonton and It has paid me back and proved that I was not wrong.Many of my friends,relatives who stays here in Canada or US had repeatedly told me not to choose Edmonton but I can say now that It has got lot of Jobs and those who are in technical field ,production,mfg..don't give a second thought on your landing..You are welcome in Edmonton..!!
Cost of living is higher compare to Middle East countries and even more than US but higher wages makes it in check. You will pay taxes altogether @ 20-25% of your take home salary.
Let me end what I had to say here as the mail has become too long.If anybody wants more info. about Edmonton or Landing, Job hunt, send me pm and I would love to help you guys.
Regards,
Edmonta

ttrajan

Champion Member
Oct 14, 2013
Category........
AINP
Job Offer........
Yes
LANDED..........
15-08-2012
Welcome to Edmonton. All the best. Thanks for sharing your experience.

canadianresource

Star Member
May 20, 2014
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
22-05-2014
AOR Received.
11-09-2014
Med's Request
13-10-2014
Med's Done....
16-10-2014 E-CASUpdate: 23-10-2014 Decision Made: 09-02-2015
Passport Req..
17-02-2015 Sent Child docs: 25-03-2015
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting......
LANDED..........
27-06-2015
Hi

I am from IT and I am a Java Developer with 7+ Yrs exp.

I am curious to know about getting a suitable job in Edmonton. Can anybody share your experience on it?

EdGuien

Star Member
Jun 23, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2011
AOR Received.
March 2012
IELTS Request
Together with application
File Transfer...
February 2012
Med's Request
April 2012 (Advised for Re-medical: March 2014)
Med's Done....
June 2012 Re-Medical: April 2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
July 2014
VISA ISSUED...
August 2014
LANDED..........
Spring 2015
Thanks edmonta, that was really helpful.
We will be in Edmonton by spring of next year.

Stay safe.

Mrs. M

Star Member
Aug 16, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-22-2014
IELTS Request
Sent with app
VISA ISSUED...
In God's perfect time
LANDED..........
In God's perfect time
Is Edmonton also okay for finance jobs? I was thinking of landing here but we don't have any family here. I am in the finance/accounting field while my husband is in oil and gas inspection field, which I think i abundant in Edmonton.

ttrajan

Champion Member
Oct 14, 2013
Category........
AINP
Job Offer........
Yes
LANDED..........
15-08-2012
Edmonton Rentals

http://www.rentmidwest.com/edmonton

Umair

Jul 28, 2010
Edmonton
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-05-2009
Doc's Request.
06-08-2009
AOR Received.
23-12-2009 ( 2nd )
Med's Request
21 Feb 2012
Med's Done....
25 Feb 2012
Interview........
VISA ISSUED...
23-11-2012
LANDED..........
30 DEC 2012 EDMONTON Via Montreal YAHOO
klmy said:
any auto insurance agent who can give good monthly rates to newcomers??? :(.. badly need that
must shop around call different brokers.

I got a reasonable from Serge ph. no 7808226042 I have not personally met him but rates are better. But you must do research around before making and choice.

WAY

Mar 1, 2010
Pakistan
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 22, 2010
Doc's Request.
April 06, 2010
AOR Received.
Aug 13, 2010
IELTS Request
Already done
File Transfer...
May 22, 2012
Med's Request
April 09, 2014 (Re-med)
Med's Done....
May 02, 2014 (Re-med)
Interview........
Hopefully Waived
Passport Req..
PPR-1 (May 13, 2014), PPR-2 (Jun 11, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
Jun 27, 2014
LANDED..........
Nov 2014, Permanent landing not decided yet
Many Congrats for landing & smooth start. Have sent u a PM.

edmonta said:
Landing:
Landed on Edmonton Airport from Mumbai-London-Edmonton route through Jet airways –Air Canada and landed @ 6.10 pm Edmonton time on 24th July 2014.
At the Passport Control:
At passport control, informed officers that we have come to do our 'landing'. The officer checked our Disembarkation Card and our passport/s & visa and directed us to "Newly Landed Immigrants' Counter". BTW,We collected our baggages after the passport control .
Lady officer greeted here and asked us to show COPR & PP .She filled up our PR application ,asked us the address where we are going to stay and noted down on COPR as well. She asked us about goods to follow in future and we said no. Here she didn't ask for the POF or carrying goods list. COPR copies were attached to our respective passports and she said “Welcome to Canada and now you are PR of Alberta and Canada as well. Please save your COPR copies well until you get your PR cards as this is the only document on which you can travel back in case of Emergency before your PR card arrives.”She later on guided us towards exit and wished us again with smile. At the exit, my friends had come for pick up and drove us to his house where we stayed for 15 days.
Weather:
Temperature was @ 15 degree and for another couple of days it remained rainy and humid. The nicest thing about weather I found was the day was too long and I remember I played Cricket match @ 9.30pm with full sunlight!!Sunset time here from May to August end is @ 10 pm which is so good to see. In last two months temp. has been fluctuating from 0 to 25 deg.cel.with a day when we had -2 degee and some flurries for couple of hours.But overall the weather here remains pleasant and in the range of 10to 25 deg cel.
2nd day:
My friend took me to Service Canada first in Millbourne mall and got the SIN no. COPR and PP copies are required here so pl.ensure to carry those with you. Went to registry and applied for health card which I received after 10 days. Also opened up a/c in TD bank, submitted d/d for deposit and was informed that it will take 10-15 days for clearance. Got that d/d cleared on 17th day of arrival.( So make sure that u keep enough cash with you as you can see it takes 15-20days for d/d to be cleared.)
Accommodation:
Let me tell you that like jobs, accomdation is also in high demand here so one need to book the apartment, houses in advance .It took me around 10days to find out an apartment so if you are planning to land in Edmonton and have relatives or friend ,ask them to see and book one. Sometimes you even need to pay some application fees also.1 bhk would cost you @ 1000 $ and 2 bhk should be @ 1200.You can even get a bachelor suite with a big room and kitchen if u have a small family or only couple staying.
In Edmonton,Millwoods,Millbourne,South gate are the preferred areas for Immigrants. You will find many Asians particularly Indians and also have lots of grocery,veg. shops,restaurants around such areas. Please avoid downtown-Jasper,north,strathcona,Boney doon area in your initial days of staying as these areas are not safe and sometimes costlier as well.
Also for renting an apartment or house you need to have a cosigner who can sign the leasing documents and need to provide SIN no. or credit history for verification. Most of the apartments will be given to you in2nd week of the month as even if the landlord gets it vacated from the previous tenant, they take a week time to get those apartments clean up, paint, electronics appliance check up and cleaning, carpet cleaning etc.Apartments are mostly equipped with Dishwasher,cooker,refrigerator and shared laundry machines.
Job Search:
You can't ask for anything more when you have just come in Canada, applies on your third day of landing, gets an interview call on fifth day and gets an offer in second week.
YES!!It has happened and I can proudly say that I got selected in a first interview I faced in Canada and that too in my very own field!! The story doesn't end here. I had applied for the post which was in a lower category than what I was eligible for and got a job which was even in higher rank than what I had worked previously. While interviewing, my employer found me more capable of doing the job than they had advertised and offered me the position which I had not even imagined..!!and that is why Canada is called a place of opportunities..On the fifteen day of my landing, I got recruited and started the job with an immediate effect.
Driving License:
One of the things where I did a mistake was about my driving license. Before coming to Canada, I was in Middle East and had a driving license. When I approached the driving registry, they told me that I can drive in Edmonton up to three months and can even buy a car so I was thinking to buy a car and start driving. The issue happened when I wanted to buy a car and approached insurance companies. On this point, I came to know that buying car was not an issue but the real problem was to get an insurance without Alberta driving license. Nobody was ready to give me an insurance without the license so I had to go back to the basics and started preparing for the knowledge test. I wasted around a month thinking that I will be buying a car soon but could not due to the insurance issues. Later on cleared the knowledge test and my road test is due in a couple of days. My Job is only 5 kms from where I am staying and Bus services are good here with reasonably good frequencies. You can get Bus services almost everywhere in Edmonton.
City & Cost of living:
Overall Edmonton city is peaceful. Not very much crowded, people are nice, friendly and helping. It's very green in summer times and full of parks, gardens, picnic spots, walking trails.Edmontonains enjoy their summertime to its fullest and hence organize lots of festivals, sports & entertainment activities in summer times.
Other thing is Edmonton has jobs.I don't know about other places but right from the first day I applied for Canadian Immigration,I was sure about my decision to land in Edmonton and It has paid me back and proved that I was not wrong.Many of my friends,relatives who stays here in Canada or US had repeatedly told me not to choose Edmonton but I can say now that It has got lot of Jobs and those who are in technical field ,production,mfg..don't give a second thought on your landing..You are welcome in Edmonton..!!
Cost of living is higher compare to Middle East countries and even more than US but higher wages makes it in check. You will pay taxes altogether @ 20-25% of your take home salary.
Let me end what I had to say here as the mail has become too long.If anybody wants more info. about Edmonton or Landing, Job hunt, send me pm and I would love to help you guys.
Regards,
Edmonta

coolK

Star Member
Mar 21, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
AVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
File Transfer...
Med's Request
oct 2014
Med's Done....
oct 2014
LANDED..........
jan. 2015 ( by the special grace of God)
edmonta said:
Landing:
At the Passport Control:
Weather:
2nd day:
Accommodation:
Job Search:
Driving License:
City & Cost of living:
Regards,
Edmonta

nice one, thanks for sharing.

klmy

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore/Australia
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-1-12
Doc's Request.
Same day
Nomination.....
1-3-12
IELTS Request
Alongwith application
Med's Request
13-5-13
Med's Done....
26-5-13
Interview........
Waived ALHAMDOOLILAH
Passport Req..
26-7-13
VISA ISSUED...
7-8-13
Umair said:
must shop around call different brokers.

I got a reasonable from Serge ph. no 7808226042 I have not personally met him but rates are better. But you must do research around before making and choice.
thanx umair bhae.. i got good rates from desjardins..

zeem

Star Member
May 12, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
LVO now ADVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/05/2011
AOR Received.
28/06/2011
IELTS Request
Already Submitted with documents
Med's Request
15/7/2013 (babys med 07-07-14), Spouse rescheduled for Medical :9-9-14
Med's Done....
30-7-2013, 7-7-14, 9-9-14
Interview........
12/2/2013 ..
Passport Req..
PPR 1 : 02-04-2014, PR2 29-09-2014
VISA ISSUED...
04-10-2014
LANDED..........
InshaAllah March 2015
Hello Friends !

We a family of 3 (2 Adults and 1 Infant) will be moving to Canada from Pakistan in Feb Inshallah.

I wanted to ask the following :

1/ Should we land in Edmonton directly ? or shall we land in Toranto and later move to Edmonton ?
2/ Will we be able to survive harsh winters ?

Please help us with your valueable suggesstions ?