+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Edmonton, Alberta settlers Join here

ty

Star Member
Oct 10, 2013
NN74 said:
True, settlement services, where ever they are in entire Canada, would help for this. In Ontario, they paid for our degrees assessment thru UoT.
Could please outline the process especially for professional bodies

Umair

Jul 28, 2010
Edmonton
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-05-2009
Doc's Request.
06-08-2009
AOR Received.
23-12-2009 ( 2nd )
Med's Request
21 Feb 2012
Med's Done....
25 Feb 2012
Interview........
VISA ISSUED...
23-11-2012
LANDED..........
30 DEC 2012 EDMONTON Via Montreal YAHOO
ty said:
Could please outline the process especially for professional bodies
The crediental assessment is for every degree holder irrespective of professional or non professional. It will certify that what ever degree you have is equililant to what degree or level in Canada.

ty

Star Member
Oct 10, 2013
Umair said:
The crediental assessment is for every degree holder irrespective of professional or non professional. It will certify that what ever degree you have is equililant to what degree or level in Canada.
I know about that. Am asking about the one you do that makes you to be recognised and practice as a professional in your field just like that for engineers, PE I guess? Especially if the field is a regulated one in a particular province in canada

J.M.

Star Member
Jan 15, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
So far, the plan is for my wife and I to be settling in Edmonton in late April, early May of 2014... My wife is from there and I am from Florida, but thankfully, my dad and his family are all Canadian citizens so I am pursuing dual citizenship which would make this transition slightly easier. I am slightly worried about how my degree will translate seeing as the core of it is based on the American Criminal Justice system and American law, but we shall see.

I remember my first visit to Edmonton and the short interview I had with the Customs Official lol... A lot of questions and was quite surprising to me since I was simply visiting but all in all it was a trivial matter. I felt like I was trying to enter the United States instead! I look forward to our journey there in the coming months and I will try to come back and tell of my experiences as they happen. For now, I am waiting on my Proof of Canadian Citizenship Certificate to be processed as that is my starting point. May have to request urgent processing because it is now mid-January and the status is "received."

Anyone who went with security and or law enforcement experience, I would appreciate any tips. Thanks!

rawdah

Champion Member
May 8, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
LONDON
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-05-2013 PER Rec'd...: 07-08-2013
Doc's Request.
04-03-2014
Med's Request
23-09-2014
Med's Done....
24-09-2014
Passport Req..
PPR1:23-09-2014, PPR2: 20-10-2014
VISA ISSUED...
22-10-2014
LANDED..........
04-12-2014
ty said:
I know about that. Am asking about the one you do that makes you to be recognised and practice as a professional in your field just like that for engineers, PE I guess? Especially if the field is a regulated one in a particular province in canada

Wondering what certification or registration requirements you must satisfy before you can work in Alberta? If so, this directory is for you.

http://alis.alberta.ca/certinfo/Content/RequestAction.asp?format=html&aspAction=GetCERTHomePage&Page=CERTHome

kolemm

Dec 17, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
ACCRA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
MAY 2012
Med's Request
OCT 2013
Med's Done....
NOV 2013
Passport Req..
JUNE 2014
VISA ISSUED...
JULY 2014
LANDED..........
AUG 2014
rawdah said:
Wondering what certification or registration requirements you must satisfy before you can work in Alberta? If so, this directory is for you.

http://alis.alberta.ca/certinfo/Content/RequestAction.asp?format=html&aspAction=GetCERTHomePage&Page=CERTHome
Thanks for this.

Umair

Jul 28, 2010
Edmonton
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-05-2009
Doc's Request.
06-08-2009
AOR Received.
23-12-2009 ( 2nd )
Med's Request
21 Feb 2012
Med's Done....
25 Feb 2012
Interview........
VISA ISSUED...
23-11-2012
LANDED..........
30 DEC 2012 EDMONTON Via Montreal YAHOO
ty said:
I know about that. Am asking about the one you do that makes you to be recognized and practice as a professional in your field just like that for engineers, PE I guess? Especially if the field is a regulated one in a particular province in Canada
There are some field which are strictly regulated like Which I know are Law, Social Work, Nursing, Medical which can effect the local population services standard. They want you to have local knowledge about standard, level of satisfactions. I was working in insurance co. there for 18 years when I joined a company here, they advised me not to talk to clients until and unless you pass an exam and Alberta government grants you licence to practice you insurance profession, therefore, I wrote an exam and now I can practice my profession, They need one to be competent enough and highly skilled in their field of work and knows the local rules and regulation. apart from licence every insurance professional has to attend 15 hours of training every one has to submit every year the detail of 15 hours of training to maintain licencing and applicable to all from Agent to CEO/President of company.

My Wife was social worker we never heard of licencing for social worker in our native country, but here they need to be licenced, they have set a very high standard and level of Social Work services and one need to be licenced and every year licence can only be renewed if you attend courses, must practice your field otherwise it will be suspended and you can not work in your field of profession.

You must check every profession requirement as some are licenced and some are not, those profession which has contact, working directly with human/clients or public it need licencing. in some cases you grant licence if you have enough educational requirement some or many.

Therefore, credential assessment does not grant you licence to practice in your field of profession. it only ascertain at which level your education has in Canada and then you can apply separately in relevant licencing authority. Like I got my insurance licence from Alberta Insurance Council after passing the exam and my wife got her Social Work Licence fro Alberta College of Social Work.

Trust it work.

Hasni

Champion Member
May 16, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
LVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
28.11.2013 by the grace of Allah SWT
dear ty,
if you talk specifically of engineering profession, please note that P.Eng is essential but not a must. When you start looking for jobs, what mostly matter is how relevant is your experience against the job advertised. I have few of my friends on good jobs who never went for any licensure and are well settled. To be able to get a job in the shortest possible time, you ought to have a Good Résumé first of all, ..spend few buck and get it done from some good résumé writers. It is very important. Besides your English has to be equally good, cuz without having good command of English, a relevant experience and solid resume at hand are of no use. Having done this much, now if you want to get your credentials assessed, or register yourself as EIT, that would be a plus. Honestly speaking when I see my friends on good jobs without having P.E, I don't feel like going through the exhaustive process of having it.

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
Hasni said:
Honestly speaking when I see my friends on good jobs without having P.E, I don't feel like going through the exhaustive process of having it.
true, but you can always start the P.E process - in parallel to your job search, it wouldn't harm and you never know - you might really need it.

azania1974

Jan 30, 2013
Nigeria
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-12-2010
Doc's Request.
09-03-2011
Nomination.....
10-11-2010
AOR Received.
13-01-2011
IELTS Request
Not Requested
File Transfer...
Nill
Med's Request
08-10-2013
Med's Done....
10-10-2013
Interview........
ECAS : Medical Recieved 07-11-2013
Passport Req..
03-01-2014
VISA ISSUED...
06-01-2014
LANDED..........
SOON BY GODS GRACE
Hello House,

Please what is the minimum amount one can hold as POF on arrival? should $9500 be enough?

regards

azania.colins

Tambee

Jan 19, 2014
Hello everyone!

I'm joining this post because I plan to move to Canada...Edmonton, AB, to be specific.

I spent all of last week thinking it out, and have come to the conclusion that this is what I need to do. For nearly 20 years now, I've been encouraged, but never wanted to leave the warm, sunny paradise of the land of my birth, Jamaica. Now, times are getting harder, opportunities scarcer, and I also have a young child who needs a secure future.

I am applying through the Skilled Workers/Provincial Nominee programme, because as a Medical Radiation Technologist, I am eligible.

Can someone please help me with the various steps I need to take, please?

Thanks everybody! Hope to meet some of you soon!

rawdah

Champion Member
May 8, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
LONDON
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-05-2013 PER Rec'd...: 07-08-2013
Doc's Request.
04-03-2014
Med's Request
23-09-2014
Med's Done....
24-09-2014
Passport Req..
PPR1:23-09-2014, PPR2: 20-10-2014
VISA ISSUED...
22-10-2014
LANDED..........
04-12-2014
Tambee said:
Hello everyone!

I'm joining this post because I plan to move to Canada...Edmonton, AB, to be specific.

I spent all of last week thinking it out, and have come to the conclusion that this is what I need to do. For nearly 20 years now, I've been encouraged, but never wanted to leave the warm, sunny paradise of the land of my birth, Jamaica. Now, times are getting harder, opportunities scarcer, and I also have a young child who needs a secure future.

I am applying through the Skilled Workers/Provincial Nominee programme, because as a Medical Radiation Technologist, I am eligible.

Can someone please help me with the various steps I need to take, please?

Thanks everybody! Hope to meet some of you soon!
Pls go through the following link

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/apply-how.asp

Read the instruction guide and document check list carefully.

Use all the latest forms with your application.

Good luck

Hasni

Champion Member
May 16, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
LVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
28.11.2013 by the grace of Allah SWT
One of my friends has chosen Vancouver as POE for his first landing. He plans to come back after two weeks. He has no relatives or friends there. Can someone please suggest what options does he has to get his PR cards mailed to him. Need a quick reply. Thanks.

Miza

Sep 20, 2010
Those who have travel to Edmonton from Pakistan kindly share the following Information.

1. Which airline /travel route you have taken (appreciate if any body can share the travel agent contact details and price)

2. How much baggage allowance was allowed and is there any additional charges included for baggage as for Edmonton one has to take domestic flight.

kolemm

Dec 17, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
ACCRA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
MAY 2012
Med's Request
OCT 2013
Med's Done....
NOV 2013
Passport Req..
JUNE 2014
VISA ISSUED...
JULY 2014
LANDED..........
AUG 2014
Hasni said:
One of my friends has chosen Vancouver as POE for his first landing. He plans to come back after two weeks. He has no relatives or friends there. Can someone please suggest what options does he has to get his PR cards mailed to him. Need a quick reply. Thanks.
I think it is of necessity to state an address in which, if sought for within the first two months , one will be found. However, if there's no address to show at the time of landing, no problem. Go on with your life, as soon as you have a stable address, you can contact them, and your PR Card will be delivered to you when ready.