+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Edmonton, Alberta settlers Join here

ItsBeenLongNow

Champion Member
Nov 26, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
prospective said:
Can anyone guide about the possibility of buying winter clothing to survive winter in Edmonton? I am thinking to go to Edmonton and I wonder if I can buy winter clothing from here in Karachi.
Id say, buy something just to get by, and do all the winter shopping from Edmonton, I bought many winter clothes here in Saudi Arabia before I went
only to find out, they were all very expensive and still not as per Canadian winter standard, so I ended up buying more
are you decided to move to Edmonton? I myself am now thinking about moving to Edmonton

All the best!

phdmaker

Jan 11, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sonea said:
I've never seen proper winter clothing in karachi u can try in Sadar market but still it will be hard to find it gets -40 with wind chill here so u can imagine what type of clothing would suit

U should buy thermal inners, u can get them from from saddar, and some sweaters if by any chance u have to go to Islamabad may be u can find something there but still as its summer I don't suppose it will be easy for u to find a proper jacket..

Don't buy any leather jacket like the ones available at jaferjees they are good to use for style but useless for winter season.

Even in Canadian stores there are no more winter jackets they will start restocking before winter but that will be on regular price
Good to see that u have been to Karachi. May I conclude u as Pakistani citizen also?

Anyways, hats off to you.

sonea

Nov 7, 2008
Canada
App. Filed.......
11-08-2008
AOR Received.
20-aug-2008
IELTS Request
21-03-2011
File Transfer...
20-09-2010
Med's Request
11/11/11
Med's Done....
28/11/11, recieved by VO 12/12/11
Passport Req..
05/Jan/2012
VISA ISSUED...
29th Feb
LANDED..........
2nd July 2012
phdmaker said:
Good to see that u have been to Karachi. May I conclude u as Pakistani citizen also?

Anyways, hats off to you.
Yep that's right I'm a Pakistani citizen basically from Islamabad :)

prospective

Aug 27, 2009
Visa Office......
Islamabad
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-09-2009
Doc's Request.
23-11-2009
AOR Received.
26-04-2010
Med's Request
Oct 24, 2012
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2013
LANDED..........
September 2013
Thanks very much! I'm thinking to move to Edmonton if the visa is ever issued!

prospective

Aug 27, 2009
Visa Office......
Islamabad
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-09-2009
Doc's Request.
23-11-2009
AOR Received.
26-04-2010
Med's Request
Oct 24, 2012
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2013
LANDED..........
September 2013
In terms of accomodation, what is the best option on arrival? Where would u advise to stay before an apartment is rented?

ItsBeenLongNow

Champion Member
Nov 26, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
prospective said:
In terms of accomodation, what is the best option on arrival? Where would u advise to stay before an apartment is rented?
Your best best, try
craigslist.ca or kijijji. com

sonea

Nov 7, 2008
Canada
App. Filed.......
11-08-2008
AOR Received.
20-aug-2008
IELTS Request
21-03-2011
File Transfer...
20-09-2010
Med's Request
11/11/11
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
05/Jan/2012
VISA ISSUED...
29th Feb
LANDED..........
2nd July 2012
prospective said:
Craiglist is not very popular here u can try kijiji.com to look for rental properties start short listing before arriving and e mail the owner to set time for viewing so that u don't have to waste time after arriving here

We came to our relative here but got an apartment rental in a couple of days so we didn't have to look for hotels or bed and breakfast .. If u don't have a relative then search for a bed and breakfast motel it is usually cheaper as compared to hotel .. Hotels and motels keep on changing packages so may be you will find a good deal if u search online

Most hotels are near down town which makes commuting to key locations easy

ItsBeenLongNow

Champion Member
Nov 26, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sonea said:
Craiglist is not very popular here u can try kijiji.com to look for rental properties start short listing before arriving and e mail the owner to set time for viewing so that u don't have to waste time after arriving here

We came to our relative here but got an apparent rental in a couple of days so we didn't have to look for hotels or bed and breakfast .. If u don't have a relative then search for a bed and breakfast motel it is usually cheaper as compared to hotel .. Hotels and motels keep on changing packages so may be you will find a good deal if u search online

Most hotels are near down town which makes commuting to key locations easy
@Sonea, how much does a 1 BR costs?
and what do you think how long till one gets a survival job?

Thanks

sonea

Nov 7, 2008
Canada
App. Filed.......
11-08-2008
AOR Received.
20-aug-2008
IELTS Request
21-03-2011
File Transfer...
20-09-2010
Med's Request
11/11/11
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
05/Jan/2012
VISA ISSUED...
29th Feb
LANDED..........
2nd July 2012
ItsBeenLongNow said:
@ Sonea, how much does a 1 BR costs?
and what do you think how long till one gets a survival job?

Thanks
cost of a bedroom apartment depends on the location and type of property it can be around $750 you can check the website i mentioned earlier edmonton.kijiji.com you will have a better idea of rents.

as i said I've seen job vacancies in many stores like Gap, Old Navy, Walmart, McDonald etc its up to you where you want to apply and your skills. you can start posting your CV online, a few days before you arrive, to walmart, Mcdnalds as they post vacancies on their websites and you have to apply online. For other stores you can just walk in with your CV and see the store manager s/he may interview you right away .. if everything goes well you can get a job within a week or two other Jobs like if you apply in Shaw/telus will take some time around a month. you should apply as many jobs as you can to increase your chances of getting a job quickly...

most popular for quick jobs is Walmart. Walmart usually calls within 2 to 3 days, anytime, for telephone interview and then they will call you for a face to face interview.

you can look for jobs on the website edmonton.kijiji.com , look out for jobs posted by the companies directly.. other private ads are not sometimes genuine.

most important is to get a mobile phone and always include your phone number when you apply because every employer calls you for a quick phone interview ... landline phones take some time to be installed by the telecommunication companies.. so at least get a mobile phone connection as soon as you can

ItsBeenLongNow

Champion Member
Nov 26, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sonea said:
cost of a bedroom apartment depends on the location and type of property it can be around $750 you can check the website i mentioned earlier edmonton.kijiji.com you will have a better idea of rents.

as i said I've seen job vacancies in many stores like Gap, Old Navy, Walmart, McDonald etc its up to you where you want to apply and your skills. you can start posting your CV online, a few days before you arrive, to walmart, Mcdnalds as they post vacancies on their websites and you have to apply online. For other stores you can just walk in with your CV and see the store manager s/he may interview you right away .. if everything goes well you can get a job within a week or two other Jobs like if you apply in Shaw/telus will take some time around a month. you should apply as many jobs as you can to increase your chances of getting a job quickly...

most popular for quick jobs is Walmart. Walmart usually calls within 2 to 3 days, anytime, for telephone interview and then they will call you for a face to face interview.

you can look for jobs on the website edmonton.kijiji.com , look out for jobs posted by the companies directly.. other private ads are not sometimes genuine.

most important is to get a mobile phone and always include your phone number when you apply because every employer calls you for a quick phone interview ... landline phones take some time to be installed by the telecommunication companies.. so at least get a mobile phone connection as soon as you can
Thanks, one silly question though
All the job experiance I have is IT Consultant
What type of CV do I come up for Mcdonalds or Wallmart
PLease dont mind my ignorance, honest question

Thanks

sonea

Nov 7, 2008
Canada
App. Filed.......
11-08-2008
AOR Received.
20-aug-2008
IELTS Request
21-03-2011
File Transfer...
20-09-2010
Med's Request
11/11/11
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
05/Jan/2012
VISA ISSUED...
29th Feb
LANDED..........
2nd July 2012
ItsBeenLongNow said:
Thanks, one silly question though
All the job experiance I have is IT Consultant
What type of CV do I come up for Mcdonalds or Wallmart
PLease dont mind my ignorance, honest question

Thanks
I explained in the other thread about functional CV u can modify your CV and use the key skills as heading which the employer is looking for. Like "people management" heading would explain that u have experience in customer dealing .. Highlight the skills you need to have for a certain position and also explain other experience even if its not relevant .. For rest of the things cover letter can be used, you can further explain your expertise in a specific area and also your motivation towards that specific skill.
Let me just get u the link of my other post about functional CV

sonea

Nov 7, 2008
Canada
App. Filed.......
11-08-2008
AOR Received.
20-aug-2008
IELTS Request
21-03-2011
File Transfer...
20-09-2010
Med's Request
11/11/11
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
05/Jan/2012
VISA ISSUED...
29th Feb
LANDED..........
2nd July 2012
There u go...>

start from making an appropriate CV there are 2 types of CVs functional CV and i forgot the other name... basically the difference is that if you have switched many jobs and have a lengthy CV you should go for functional CV it has a single heading of "Professional experience" ... make sub headings like "people management" "retail" "sales" "new business development" and "customer service" etc.. and you need to put all your important valuable experience under that for all jobs..

then you make a heading of "work history" where you tell about all your job positions, company name and duration.. (starting from most recent job)

after this comes the heading of "education" where you put your university degrees details including completion year t.. and then you put a heading of "Training and qualifications" where you put all your training and other qualifications/courses

in the end mention "references" just put available on request this type of CV make the employer better understand your key skills and your international experience are represented in a fine manner which Canadians can easily understand according to their requirements for a specific job

the other kind of CV is the one which we normally use (and recommended if your experience is based on a few companies and less years of work history) .. it has the information in descending order starting from you most recent job, company name, duration and job duties... everything else goes in same fashion as above(functional cv) but you need to explain each job independently

also make a cover letter it takes some time but makes a difference

ItsBeenLongNow

Champion Member
Nov 26, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sonea said:
There u go...>

start from making an appropriate CV there are 2 types of CVs functional CV and i forgot the other name... basically the difference is that if you have switched many jobs and have a lengthy CV you should go for functional CV it has a single heading of "Professional experience" ... make sub headings like "people management" "retail" "sales" "new business development" and "customer service" etc.. and you need to put all your important valuable experience under that for all jobs..

then you make a heading of "work history" where you tell about all your job positions, company name and duration.. (starting from most recent job)

after this comes the heading of "education" where you put your university degrees details including completion year t.. and then you put a heading of "Training and qualifications" where you put all your training and other qualifications/courses

in the end mention "references" just put available on request this type of CV make the employer better understand your key skills and your international experience are represented in a fine manner which Canadians can easily understand according to their requirements for a specific job

the other kind of CV is the one which we normally use (and recommended if your experience is based on a few companies and less years of work history) .. it has the information in descending order starting from you most recent job, company name, duration and job duties... everything else goes in same fashion as above(functional cv) but you need to explain each job independently

also make a cover letter it takes some time but makes a difference
Thanks again Sonea, God bless u

respectall

Feb 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 09, 2009
Doc's Request.
Dec 2009/ Submitted Apr 09, 2010
AOR Received.
Jul 2010
Med's Request
Jul 22, 2012
Med's Done....
Jul 30, 2012
Passport Req..
Step-1 Nov 20, 2012/ Step-2: Jan 7, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
Jan 26, 2013
prospective said:
Can anyone guide about the possibility of buying winter clothing to survive winter in Edmonton? I am thinking to go to Edmonton and I wonder if I can buy winter clothing from here in Karachi.
Winter Clothes Availability In Karachi:
Sadar Panorama Center, Opposite Rex Center. Famous Shop: Usmania
Light House: 1: Usmania 2: Rehmania

I visited Panorama center, prices are affordable.

cimple

Star Member
Nov 30, 2012
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-08-2008
Med's Done....
22-11-2012
Passport Req..
07-06-2013
respectall said:
Winter Clothes Availability In Karachi:
Sadar Panorama Center, Opposite Rex Center. Famous Shop: Usmania
Light House: 1: Usmania 2: Rehmania

I visited Panorama center, prices are affordable.
I think winter clothes from Pakistan will not work in Canada it is better to buy from there