+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Edmonton, Alberta settlers Join here

amjpk

Oct 14, 2009
Hi, I am moving to GTA in 2nd week of March 2013 via PIA which usually allow per person 2 X 28kg luggage plus 7kg hands carry.
Anybody can share his/her experience about the airline may offer or allow more luggage weight while passenger migrating through as an immigrant.
Thanks in advance for your valuable feedback
Regards-amjpk

Umair

Jul 28, 2010
Edmonton
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-05-2009
Doc's Request.
06-08-2009
AOR Received.
23-12-2009 ( 2nd )
Med's Request
21 Feb 2012
Med's Done....
25 Feb 2012
Interview........
VISA ISSUED...
23-11-2012
LANDED..........
30 DEC 2012 EDMONTON Via Montreal YAHOO
amjpk said:
Dear Umair,
Thanks for sharing such valuable information.
Although I'll be landing in Toronto by mid-March 2013 but have a B plan for Alberta if things not goes well there by end of June 2013.
My NOC is 0213, Information Technology. I would be great if you also share about your job market and recruiters information.
Regards-Amjad
Dear all accountants and finance back grounds. go to the following site and must attend the courses free of cost for new comers.

ww.emcn.ab.ca/ProgramsandServices/CareerEmploymentServices/Programs/AccountantsBridgingProgram/tabid/204/Default.aspx

Umair

Jul 28, 2010
Edmonton
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-05-2009
Doc's Request.
06-08-2009
AOR Received.
23-12-2009 ( 2nd )
Med's Request
21 Feb 2012
Med's Done....
25 Feb 2012
Interview........
VISA ISSUED...
23-11-2012
LANDED..........
rundung said:
How much will you pay after the promotional period? :-\
I PAID JUST 45 CAD FOR ALL THREE. ITS TELUS SERVICES

yy1gc

Nov 2, 2012
Umair said:
as we are slowly settling in Edmonton, this city is good population is less and snow every where, but with good heating facilities. we just have hired a flat in edmonton near to my kids school area and a bus stop. you need to do lot of things before coming here. you can to to a property dealer as property dealer are responsible for only one or two flates not all area, flat rent ranges are

1000 to 1300 CAD excluding Electricity and Phone, internet, cable which almost costs 150 CAD. AND HOUSES ARE FOR 1200 TO 2500 CAD. I will send you a hotel address as last night i went to met some one there which was cheap. and clean for 35 CAD a night. we gota flat for 1125 +85+50

although we brought many clothing for kids and our selves but keeping in view of many discounts offered by many big stores there is no much difference. so bring some for kids and your self for one month. houses are fully heated so no need to bring blankets or other stuff. you can get things from peoples who are moving to other places. we got good and reasonable things from an Arab lady. from bed to car.

there are three areas north, south and west. mostly Asian are in south region. so all depend on your preferences. we are in north. not with desi peoples. some arab and all local people are here. if you need any specific information please let me know.
Hello Umair
Went through your post. Would be thankfull to you if you could help me by i)telling me about job prospects for me as i am a mechanical engineer(diploma) and an MBA(Hr&mktg) and with more than 12 years of exp. and ii)which area would be safer as i would be coming in with my wife and two little kids from India by end of march-13.

Umair

Jul 28, 2010
Edmonton
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-05-2009
Doc's Request.
06-08-2009
AOR Received.
23-12-2009 ( 2nd )
Med's Request
21 Feb 2012
Med's Done....
25 Feb 2012
Interview........
VISA ISSUED...
23-11-2012
LANDED..........
yy1gc said:
Hello Umair
Went through your post. Would be thankfull to you if you could help me by i)telling me about job prospects for me as i am a mechanical engineer(diploma) and an MBA(Hr&mktg) and with more than 12 years of exp. and ii)which area would be safer as i would be coming in with my wife and two little kids from India by end of march-13.
Job prospects are goog here just do some certificate or diploma in relevent field immidetly you get offer, but with out that you have to live on odd jobs till luck favours. engineers can join edmonton mennonite cente as one year free courses which is good for getting relevent job in engineering.

Umair

Jul 28, 2010
Edmonton
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-05-2009
Doc's Request.
06-08-2009
AOR Received.
23-12-2009 ( 2nd )
Med's Request
21 Feb 2012
Med's Done....
25 Feb 2012
Interview........
VISA ISSUED...
23-11-2012
LANDED..........
Umair said:
Job prospects are goog here just do some certificate or diploma in relevent field immidetly you get offer, but with out that you have to live on odd jobs till luck favours. engineers can join edmonton mennonite cente as one year free courses which is good for getting relevent job in engineering.
I think South is good as many of indian families are there and are helpful too.

Umair

Jul 28, 2010
Edmonton
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-05-2009
Doc's Request.
06-08-2009
AOR Received.
23-12-2009 ( 2nd )
Med's Request
21 Feb 2012
Med's Done....
25 Feb 2012
Interview........
VISA ISSUED...
23-11-2012
LANDED..........
Dear edmon settlers,

This month many jobs are opening just go to alberta works office near to you and get the schedule of job fairs, on 14 march one mega event will held at Alberta Works
Abbotsfield Mall, Main Floor
Unit 126, 3210 -118Avenue, Edmonton
Ph. 780-427-5120

about more than 20 companies will come for job interview at this location.

Best of Luck

iamthebest

Mar 6, 2012
Thanks Umair for the information....We just landed two days back and was wondering..how to start the job hunt...I believe Job fair will give us a good staring experience.....Thanks....It will be great if you could let us know any tips/suggestions to get ready for the Job fair,,,

Thanks

BM

Umair

Jul 28, 2010
Edmonton
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-05-2009
Doc's Request.
06-08-2009
AOR Received.
23-12-2009 ( 2nd )
Med's Request
21 Feb 2012
Med's Done....
25 Feb 2012
Interview........
VISA ISSUED...
23-11-2012
LANDED..........
iamthebest said:
Thanks Umair for the information....We just landed two days back and was wondering..how to start the job hunt...I believe Job fair will give us a good staring experience.....Thanks....It will be great if you could let us know any tips/suggestions to get ready for the Job fair,,,

Thanks

BM
here is more jobs fairs coming this month, WEL COME TO EDMONTON......

https://alis.alberta.ca/ec/cp/cs/careerevents.html#edmonton

Best of luck to every one

Umair

Jul 28, 2010
Edmonton
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-05-2009
Doc's Request.
06-08-2009
AOR Received.
23-12-2009 ( 2nd )
Med's Request
21 Feb 2012
Med's Done....
25 Feb 2012
Interview........
VISA ISSUED...
23-11-2012
LANDED..........
iamthebest said:

Thanks

BM
Go to any alberta works office near to you they will guide you, there are many professional who will guide you where to go.

keep in touch

yy1gc

Nov 2, 2012
Kghimire said:
Dear can-quest,

I at here at Edmonton since last week. City looks good , but yes its cold out here . But if you have appropriate gears, you can cope with it easily. Public transport system is good and rent is also not expansive as compared to Calgary or Toronto. I rented a apartment (2 bedrooms) for $ 995 (with six month initial contract). I am in NW area. Don't have much idea about other areas.

Regards

Keshab

Hello Keshab
I would be reaching calgary on 19th march and from there would be getting on a bus to Edmonton. I have my wife and two little kids with me. Could you please help me in finding a safe place for some days or may be more?

yy1gc

Nov 2, 2012
Umair said:
Hello Umair
Thanks for your previous reply. I would be reaching calgary on 19th march and from there would be getting on a bus to Edmonton. I have my wife and two little kids with me. Could you please help me in finding a safe place for some days or may be more? Thanks.

Dec 9, 2009
Dear yy1gc Welcome to Canada and also welcome to Calgary. Why do you want to move to Edmonton after Landing Calgary.

Calgary is very nice place and it is better than Edmonton in many respects.So please think twice before moving.

Jas87on

Mar 17, 2013
hey my names Jason I'm new to the forum. I'm just doing some research to edmonton also as going through interview process for a job just now hopefully successful and be there about June.
do you guys know if i can set up a bank account soon ? or do i have to be there first ? and how long do i need to be in the country before i can get a mortgage ? and like what sort of paperwork should i bring with me to help these processes ?

thanks any help would be great !

Hols

Star Member
Sep 25, 2012
Category........
NOC Code......
6221-B
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AEO still processing
Hi Jason, have you applied for a WP or visa yet? It might take longer to apply than you think so please make sure you check everything :)

With a bank account there are a few different banks that you could open an account with however the only one I found that will let you set up an account from outside Canada is Bank of Montreal.. Let us know how you get on :)

www. bmo.com/ home/ personal/banking/everyday/newcomers-to-canada/open-account/steps