01-01-2012
VISA ISSUED...
13-09-2013
LANDED..........
In Mid April
Thanks for valuable information.

Sarah1 said:
Hey weatherman
instead of trolling this thread (and many others, when I looked at your posts) try to give some actual info

Weather in Edmonton- http://www.weather.com/weather/5-day/Edmonton+CAXX0126:1:CA
Now anyone interested can see the temperatures, unless you try to impress when saying -30.
By the way peeps, -30 is not as it sounds. It probably feels as cold as if it was 0 or -5 at your homecountry, and this cause of low humidity in Edmonton.
Over 800,000 people live in the city and they go to work, out for drinks etc when -40 as well. If they can do it, so will you.

Rent prices in Edmonton- http://www.kijiji.ca/b-apartments-condos/edmonton/c37l1700203
No, MW Southgate is not an expensive area, these are the average prices at an okay neighborhood.
Edmonton has lower rent than other big cities, such as Calgary or Toronto.

donwin4real

Dec 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-04-2011
AOR Received.
23-05-2011
IELTS Request
Included with initial application
Med's Request
15-07-2013
Med's Done....
05-08-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
27-09-2013
VISA ISSUED...
08-10-2013
LANDED..........
Not Yet
sonea said:
southgate is best area... LRT facility, southgate mall, desi people, not far from university, very clean, open and nice its not because of weather its the place your paying for stadium is cheap but not a good area due to criminal activities although its close to downtown but i didn't find it very safe, i lived there.. just across the stadium LRT station..
Thanx for this vital info

donwin4real

Dec 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-04-2011
AOR Received.
23-05-2011
IELTS Request
Med's Request
15-07-2013
Med's Done....
05-08-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
27-09-2013
VISA ISSUED...
08-10-2013
LANDED..........
Not Yet
sonea said:
they wont let their properties to newcomers they have to do credit check specially boardwalk is very particular about it if you have a relative or friend you can ask for their name in your tenancy agreement but most people don't put up their names in the agreement as it can effect their own credit history there are only a few properties which are flexible in this matter they will ask you for a 3 month advance .. that also requires a lot of convincing best is to ask someone who lives in edmonton or you can try edmonton.kijiji.com
Very insightful, thanx & noted!

donwin4real

Dec 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-04-2011
AOR Received.
23-05-2011
IELTS Request
Med's Request
15-07-2013
Med's Done....
05-08-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
27-09-2013
VISA ISSUED...
08-10-2013
LANDED..........
Not Yet
Thalia said:
Well, I wouldn't call Southgate the best, since every person has different preferences and needs.
E.g. I personally like Oliver and Westmount far more than any south area. If I could afford it I would live in Glenora or Rossdale etc.

It has to do with many factors. For example where you work: so if your job is north, better look something relatively close. Your income; how much can you afford for e.g. a 2 bd apartment? Community: are you even interested in living among people who came from the same country as you or you want to live like any other local Edmontonian?

And I agree that areas east of downtown, such as stadium, are among the less safe. Better to be avoided, but that's why it's also cheaper to rent there.
Very informative too
Thanx for sharing
All noted!

Thalia

Mar 3, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Rome
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28 March 2011
AOR Received.
27 April 2011
File Transfer...
RBVO: 4 June 2011
Med's Request
11 June 2012
Med's Done....
26 June 2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
7 September 2012
VISA ISSUED...
11 October 2012
LANDED..........
13 May 2013
klmy said:
Very informative discussion..but sonea if big companies like Boardwalk are not willing to give their apartments to new immigrants.. then wats the solution for a person who does not have any relative/friend in Canada??
Then you try to find a place by a private landlord, and not a company.

I'm not sure if Boardwalk is so strict about their requirements with all their property (they have tones of property all over the city), but other companies probably will.
Boardwalk has also some units, available for 4 or 6 months lease. So, you can give them a call and ask about those and what's the paperwork involved.
Just tell them from the beginning that you are a newcomer, haven't established credit yet in Canada; and see what they have to say.

ttrajan

Champion Member
Oct 14, 2013
Category........
AINP
Job Offer........
Yes
LANDED..........
15-08-2012
Midwest Southgate Village near South Gate Mall, LRT station and Bus Terminus. Also close to University of Alberta. Details refer the following link:

https://www.rentmidwest.com/property/village-southgate

klmy

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore/Australia
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-1-12
Doc's Request.
Same day
Nomination.....
1-3-12
IELTS Request
Alongwith application
Med's Request
13-5-13
Med's Done....
26-5-13
Interview........
Waived ALHAMDOOLILAH
Passport Req..
26-7-13
VISA ISSUED...
7-8-13
Thalia said:
Then you try to find a place by a private landlord, and not a company.

I'm not sure if Boardwalk is so strict about their requirements with all their property (they have tones of property all over the city), but other companies probably will.
Boardwalk has also some units, available for 4 or 6 months lease. So, you can give them a call and ask about those and what's the paperwork involved.
Just tell them from the beginning that you are a newcomer, haven't established credit yet in Canada; and see what they have to say.
sent you a msg on facebook..do check it :)

faatir

Feb 9, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-10-2011
AOR Received.
01-01-2012
VISA ISSUED...
13-09-2013
LANDED..........
In Mid April
Thalia & Sonea

Thanks for your sharing.

vikasraj

Star Member
Jan 19, 2014
Bangalore --> Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 13, 2013
IELTS Request
June 13, 2013
File Transfer...
January 6, 2014
Med's Request
9 Jan 2014
Med's Done....
16 Jan 2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
9 Jan 2014
VISA ISSUED...
28 Feb 2014
LANDED..........
Very Soon!!
Hello Everyone!!!

I am planning to move to Calgary!!!
Can someone advice me with regards to a few questions:
Which area within Calgary is safe and affordable to stay and the reliable website to search houses on rent?
Any job consultants/ recruiters (We are a couple - Wife into Health care administration and me in SAP basis.)
Suitable bank account for new comers?
How does usually someone carry money from there native country?
Approx cost of living for a couple for a month in Calgary.
Which carrier service is good for mobile?
Can we take the tab offer since we are new and with no credit history? (Liked wind mobile offers in tab, suggestions required)

Thanks a lot in advance will be happy for the answers :)

Cheers,
Vikas Raj

faatir

Feb 9, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-10-2011
AOR Received.
01-01-2012
VISA ISSUED...
13-09-2013
LANDED..........
In Mid April
Dear Members,

I am getting a one bed room basement option in South edmonton.

Asking 1000 Heat.water,electricity,parking,wifi all included in rent.
Kids school, bus station, market, parks are within half km range.

Is it good option cost wise?

Or should i find another one?

In fact my friends who are finding accommodation for me are suggesting that i will get 2 bed room apartment in 1200 and add 200-250 in rent for utilities and internet and wifi. whereas to start life you should go for cost effective option and change later on once you got the job.

I m confused because i am not physically there.
We are family of 4 including 2 kids'
Never ever lived in basement

kindly suggest?

Shrus

Jul 30, 2013
Africa
Category........
Visa Office......
DVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31/05/2013
AOR Received.
23/10/2013
IELTS Request
31/03/2013
File Transfer...
21/08/2013
Med's Request
4/12/2013
Med's Done....
10/12/2013
Passport Req..
4/12/2013
Hello there,

I ma also planning to settle in Edmonton, Alberta. I need a lots of details for travelling and shifting. Please suggest.

- Internet service will be provided at apartment or charges for internet. Its very important.
- Cooking utensils to be carried or not. I have been living in same home, never lived separately from family.
- Banking info.
- Clothing for weather conditions.
- Furniture available with home or not.

Any suggestions?

Shrus :)

Thalia

Mar 3, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Rome
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28 March 2011
AOR Received.
27 April 2011
File Transfer...
RBVO: 4 June 2011
Med's Request
11 June 2012
Med's Done....
26 June 2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
7 September 2012
VISA ISSUED...
11 October 2012
LANDED..........
13 May 2013
Hi faatir,

Since you are new to the city, I agree with what the people in the FB group told you. Don't sign for a long term lease. Find something for 3 or 6 months and then see if it's okay by you and your family. If yes, renew the lease, if not you don't have to stay there long. I also have my doubts for 1 bdr apart for a family of 4, but you know your needs better.

Shrus:
1. Mostly the furnished apartments include internet in the rent. If it's not included then you set up a connection yourself. 2 providers: Shaw or Telus. It doesn't take too long to set it up, only few days, depending on how busy the technicians are.
2. Don't bring anything. It will cost you more to pay for excess luggage than to buy from here.
3. Opening a bank account is one of the first things you should do. The biggest ones are Scotia Bank, RBC, Bank of Montreal and TD. Most offer newcomers packages, and there are not big differences between them. Choose one close to you and open an account.
4. Winters are long and cold (no kidding,eh?). Bring some warm cloths with you, but don't overdo it. You will find plenty of clothing here that is good for their winters and there are many shops with cheap cloths. Most important for winters here are: good coat, gloves, scarf, hat and warm shoes.
5. Same as with cooking utensils. No point in paying to bring furniture. Worst case in the beginning you buy some used ones from kijiji or some cheap from IKEA.

faatir

Feb 9, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-10-2011
AOR Received.
01-01-2012
VISA ISSUED...
13-09-2013
LANDED..........
In Mid April
Thalia,

I am agreed on your doubt. I will sign short lease just to have my foot in house so that life start and will do relocation after i will get job.

In start for a newly landed immigrant is most important factor is to wisely spend in begining so that you will not burn your savings.

Secondly i have decided to live in southeast part of edmonton where my community is living. I have obsereved that in canada networking and reference are two crucial factors to find job, living life and social commute. Its become easy in case of you are living in your community.

Acoording to my little knowledge its quite impossible to find a 2 bedroom apartment in southeast edmonton less than 1250 per month. Additionally one need to add around 150 more for electercity and internet bill along with parking. At the end you will be spending around 1400 per month on accomodation.

Living in basement for a family who is coming from 2000 square feet town house and a culture which is family oriented and socialy enriched will not be easier rather i term it as challenge. In my country pakistan there is no concept of adult building and i feel very surprized when i read on rent add that under 18 are not allowed and pets are allowed.

Still i think on rationally not emotionally. This is canadian way of life and i respect their culture. I will do my best to adjust into this. I consider canada as land of oppurtunities thats why i decided to live here. Might most of people feel strange my comments but people from southeast asia and gulf countries will have clear idea.

Shrus

Jul 30, 2013
Africa
Category........
Visa Office......
DVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31/05/2013
AOR Received.
23/10/2013
IELTS Request
31/03/2013
File Transfer...
21/08/2013
Med's Request
4/12/2013
Med's Done....
10/12/2013
Passport Req..
4/12/2013
Thalia said:
Hi faatir,

Since you are new to the city, I agree with what the people in the FB group told you. Don't sign for a long term lease. Find something for 3 or 6 months and then see if it's okay by you and your family. If yes, renew the lease, if not you don't have to stay there long. I also have my doubts for 1 bdr apart for a family of 4, but you know your needs better.

Shrus:
1. Mostly the furnished apartments include internet in the rent. If it's not included then you set up a connection yourself. 2 providers: Shaw or Telus. It doesn't take too long to set it up, only few days, depending on how busy the technicians are.
2. Don't bring anything. It will cost you more to pay for excess luggage than to buy from here.
3. Opening a bank account is one of the first things you should do. The biggest ones are Scotia Bank, RBC, Bank of Montreal and TD. Most offer newcomers packages, and there are not big differences between them. Choose one close to you and open an account.
4. Winters are long and cold (no kidding,eh?). Bring some warm cloths with you, but don't overdo it. You will find plenty of clothing here that is good for their winters and there are many shops with cheap cloths. Most important for winters here are: good coat, gloves, scarf, hat and warm shoes.
5. Same as with cooking utensils. No point in paying to bring furniture. Worst case in the beginning you buy some used ones from kijiji or some cheap from IKEA.
Thanks Thalia

donwin4real

Dec 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-04-2011
AOR Received.
23-05-2011
IELTS Request
Med's Request
15-07-2013
Med's Done....
05-08-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
27-09-2013
VISA ISSUED...
08-10-2013
LANDED..........
Not Yet
Thalia said:
Hi faatir,

Shrus:
Valuable information
Thanx