01-10-2011
AOR Received.
01-01-2012
VISA ISSUED...
13-09-2013
LANDED..........
In Mid April
Quite informative.
Its mean one has to be careful while choosing place to live. A safe place with all necessary things around and yet to be cost effective.

Thalia said:
Edmonton is very spread, so you get all the facilities (shopping malls, services) in every neighborhood. Many people live e.g. at the south side and haven't been downtown for over 10 years (true story, I don't exaggerate!)..hehe
Not that much of a crime in Edmonton, it's relatively safe compared to big cities in other countries.

Copy-paste from one of my past replies: There are many good and bad neighborhoods, but generally keep it north or south west. Avoid east of downtown, and too north or too south areas. Well it's a matter of housing prices as well..my suggestion is stay inside the Yellowhead-Whitemud circle and concentrate in central and west areas on the city map (excluding Canora and Jasper Place though).

You can tell from the prices as well. For example if you see a 2 bedroom house for $1,000, then most likely you are in a bad neighborhood or in a remote area. No such thing as a bargain, when it comes to that.

TO DREAMLAND

Jan 12, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Apr 2010
VISA ISSUED...
Visa recd on 24th Feb '14
Thalia said:
Hi dreamland,

Nowadays mobile and laptop chargers work in any voltage (you can go check your charger, it says 100-240V), so you won't need a converter for this kind of devices. Most likely you will need something like this: http://www.futureshop.ca/en-ca/product/purtek-purtek-plug-adapter-a-ptta-ptta/10154735.aspx?path=074df098f4e81698ee29bffd2359a868en02 so that you can plug it in the socket.
A problem you should consider is if the bandwidth of your mobile is the same as the bandwidth your Canadian mobile provider operates with. My European galaxy s3 was not compatible with the bandwidth my Canadian mobile provider operates (and from a quick look didn't match with most of the mobile providers), so I had to buy a new mobile from here. You can find the bandwidths of each device and operator in Wiki. Nothing you can do about it, just have in mind that once you are here you might need to buy a new mobile.
And no, the companies you just mentioned don't operate in Alberta. Big companies like Bell and Rogers are pretty expensive (far more expensive compared to European ones, I don't know about India's prices) and provide plans with contracts. Cheap alternatives are Wind and Mobilicity, no contract required but not as good coverage and they only cover big Canadian cities, so e.g. the minute you step outside Edmonton you are roaming.
Hi dear, thank you so much and + for you

diode

Star Member
Dec 17, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thalia said:
Edmonton is very spread, so you get all the facilities (shopping malls, services) in every neighborhood. Many people live e.g. at the south side and haven't been downtown for over 10 years (true story, I don't exaggerate!)..hehe
Not that much of a crime in Edmonton, it's relatively safe compared to big cities in other countries.

Copy-paste from one of my past replies: There are many good and bad neighborhoods, but generally keep it north or south west. Avoid east of downtown, and too north or too south areas. Well it's a matter of housing prices as well..my suggestion is stay inside the Yellowhead-Whitemud circle and concentrate in central and west areas on the city map (excluding Canora and Jasper Place though).

You can tell from the prices as well. For example if you see a 2 bedroom house for $1,000, then most likely you are in a bad neighborhood or in a remote area. No such thing as a bargain, when it comes to that.
thanks for your reply ,you are really very supportive
1) as per you which one better place to land edmonton or calgary

Thalia

Mar 3, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Rome
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28 March 2011
AOR Received.
27 April 2011
File Transfer...
RBVO: 4 June 2011
Med's Request
11 June 2012
Med's Done....
26 June 2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
7 September 2012
VISA ISSUED...
11 October 2012
LANDED..........
13 May 2013
Glad I could help, thank you guys/ladies for the positive feedback.

Sorry diode, but I can't help you with that as I have only visited Calgary, but not lived. It is true that the jobs in Edmonton are more blue collar, while in Calgary there are more offices, big companies etc. It's not that hard to move from one city to other once you are here; it's just 3 hours drive. You can land in one, give it a try and if you find a better job in the other, then you move there in the future. Your choice doesn't need to be "forever".

ttrajan

Champion Member
Oct 14, 2013
Category........
AINP
Job Offer........
Yes
LANDED..........
15-08-2012
Calgary rental value is higher than Edmonton. Job opportunity are nearly same. Weather wise Calgary is slightly better since it is closer to the mountains and US border. Calgary got good connectivity with Europe cities.

donwin4real

Dec 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-04-2011
AOR Received.
23-05-2011
IELTS Request
Included with initial application
Med's Request
15-07-2013
Med's Done....
05-08-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
27-09-2013
VISA ISSUED...
08-10-2013
LANDED..........
Not Yet
Thalia said:
Glad I could help, thank you guys/ladies for the positive feedback.

Sorry diode, but I can't help you with that as I have only visited Calgary, but not lived. It is true that the jobs in Edmonton are more blue collar, while in Calgary there are more offices, big companies etc. It's not that hard to move from one city to other once you are here; it's just 3 hours drive. You can land in one, give it a try and if you find a better job in the other, then you move there in the future. Your choice doesn't need to be "forever".
Thanx for all the very informative and insightful posts...learnt generously so far..

donwin4real

Dec 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-04-2011
AOR Received.
23-05-2011
IELTS Request
Med's Request
15-07-2013
Med's Done....
05-08-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
27-09-2013
VISA ISSUED...
08-10-2013
LANDED..........
Not Yet
ttrajan said:
Calgary rental value is higher than Edmonton. Job opportunity are nearly same. Weather wise Calgary is slightly better since it is closer to the mountains and US border. Calgary got good connectivity with Europe cities.
Hmmn....maybe I'll have to check how things look in Calgary after landing in Edmonton, heard Calgary is really a neat and beautiful city!

Where do you think someone with an IT background will be able to cope better in terms of employment opportunities???

ttrajan

Champion Member
Oct 14, 2013
Category........
AINP
Job Offer........
Yes
LANDED..........
15-08-2012
Alberta has more core engineering jobs in oil and gas industry. Heard that Toronto and Vancouver have more like IT related jobs?

donwin4real

Dec 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-04-2011
AOR Received.
23-05-2011
IELTS Request
Med's Request
15-07-2013
Med's Done....
05-08-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
27-09-2013
VISA ISSUED...
08-10-2013
LANDED..........
Not Yet
ttrajan said:
Alberta has more core engineering jobs in oil and gas industry. Heard that Toronto and Vancouver have more like IT related jobs?
hmmmn...thanx for the info, will further check it out!

Umair

Jul 28, 2010
Edmonton
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-05-2009
Doc's Request.
06-08-2009
AOR Received.
23-12-2009 ( 2nd )
Med's Request
21 Feb 2012
Med's Done....
25 Feb 2012
Interview........
VISA ISSUED...
23-11-2012
LANDED..........
30 DEC 2012 EDMONTON Via Montreal YAHOO
ttrajan said:
you are right. as Edmonton is Capital city of Alberta Province, therefore all government jobs, regulators and many banks, insurance co. and other industries sub offices are here, more blue colour/semi labour jobs are here, whereas as compared to Calgary, Calgary is provincial head quarter of business organizations, all banks, insurance co and other industries regional head offices are in Calgary. therefore, Calgary is more vidrant and opportunities in whitecolor jobs. more on the population of Calgary is higher so job prospects gets less.

Toronto and Vancouver has more white colour jobs and almost 70 % flow of immigrants are towards these cities, thefore there are less chances of job and unemployment rate is higher and these cities are expensive then Edmonton too.

Awaiting more inputs

Umair

Jul 28, 2010
Edmonton
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-05-2009
Doc's Request.
06-08-2009
AOR Received.
23-12-2009 ( 2nd )
Med's Request
21 Feb 2012
Med's Done....
25 Feb 2012
Interview........
VISA ISSUED...
23-11-2012
LANDED..........
30 DEC 2012 EDMONTON Via Montreal YAHOO
Umair said:
you are right. as Edmonton is Capital city of Alberta Province, therefore all government jobs, regulators and many banks, insurance co. and other industries sub offices are here, more blue collar/semi labour jobs are here, whereas as compared to Calgary, Calgary is provincial head quarter of business organizations, all banks, insurance co and other industries regional head offices are in Calgary. therefore, Calgary is more vibrant and opportunities in whitecollar jobs. moreon the population of Calgary is higher so job prospects gets less.

Toronto and Vancouver has more white colour jobs and almost 70 % flow of immigrants are towards these cities, thefore there are less chances of job and unemployment rate is higher and these cities are expensive then Edmonton too.

Awaiting more inputs

ttrajan

Champion Member
Oct 14, 2013
Category........
AINP
Job Offer........
Yes
LANDED..........
15-08-2012
Alberta has good oppurtunities for Civil, Mechanical, Piping, Chemical and Electrical Engineers and Designers.

donwin4real

Dec 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-04-2011
AOR Received.
23-05-2011
IELTS Request
Med's Request
15-07-2013
Med's Done....
05-08-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
27-09-2013
VISA ISSUED...
08-10-2013
LANDED..........
Not Yet
Umair said:
you are right. as Edmonton is Capital city of Alberta Province, therefore all government jobs, regulators and many banks, insurance co. and other industries sub offices are here, more blue colour/semi labour jobs are here, whereas as compared to Calgary, Calgary is provincial head quarter of business organizations, all banks, insurance co and other industries regional head offices are in Calgary. therefore, Calgary is more vidrant and opportunities in whitecolor jobs. more on the population of Calgary is higher so job prospects gets less.

Awaiting more inputs
Thanx for sharing...still it has to be Edmonton then maybe checking Calgary later for more job prospects

dipeshpokhrel

Star Member
Aug 24, 2013
kathmandu
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-06-2013 PER.............. : 03-09-2013
AOR Received.
26-10-2013
Med's Request
19-12-2013
Med's Done....
21-12-2013
Passport Req..
23-12-2013
VISA ISSUED...
10-02-2014
guys my final destination is edmonton..if my flight land on toronto before edmonton then where should i complete my landing formalities

klmy

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore/Australia
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-1-12
Doc's Request.
Same day
Nomination.....
1-3-12
IELTS Request
Alongwith application
Med's Request
13-5-13
Med's Done....
26-5-13
Interview........
Waived ALHAMDOOLILAH
Passport Req..
26-7-13
VISA ISSUED...
7-8-13
dipeshpokhrel said:
guys my final destination is edmonton..if my flight land on toronto before edmonton then where should i complete my landing formalities
Toronto :)