+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Edmonton, Alberta settlers Join here

luqi

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
London<br/>[color=#CC9900][b]NOC code:................2147[/b][/color]<br/>IELTS:....: sent with application
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
[b]03-07-2013[/b]<br/>[color=yellowgreen][b]Fee charged.........: 23-09-2013 [/b][/color]<br/>[color=green][b]PER Received.......: 24-09-2013[/b][/color]<br/>[color=#C46767][b]Processing Started:21-01-2014[/b][/color]<br/>[color=#4E1D1D][b]Docs Request: 28-01-2014[/b][/color]<br/>
Med's Request
21-01-2016
Med's Done....
01-02-2016
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
08-02-2016
VISA ISSUED...
20-03-2016
LANDED..........
[b][color=#800000]Landed 18th April 2016[/color][/b]

newcomer

Dec 3, 2007
Middle East
Drooza said:
God Bless Sonea, Umair, Newcomer, Luqi & People.

My prayers always for you. I have seen many people who get benefits from others hard work usually in Middle East. But you people are great spending you time for others. I have read your all posts and very happy to know that this kind of people still on earth, I can offer you my any service In Makkah Saudi Arabia Before departure to Vancouver, or even after.

God Bless you all

hamood786 @ yahoo.com
Thanks a lot brother for your kind words.Please do remember us in your prayers ,especially at Hurum .

newcomer

Dec 3, 2007
Middle East
ItsBeenLongNow said:
Got your point, thanks a lot, how is the overall AB economy? and the unemployment rate
Well overall economy here is pretty good especially for engineers,geologists and all other oil and gas industry related professions/industries.We need to understand that in AB almost all other industries are directly or indirectly based on oil and gas industry.As oil and gas cannot operate in a vacuum ,it requires different services due to which other industries also flourish.My husband is working as a QA Manger in a company which provides services to oil and gas industry/projects.Same is the case with my brother and many other people whom I know here.Unemployment rate is second lowest in Canada, around 4.5% ,a little above SK ,which remains the lowest, around 4%.

Few weeks back my accounting class instructor mentioned to us that in the next 10 years ,AB is going to increase its oil production more than doubled.So,obviously lot of jobs will be created in future.However,in my personal opinion,as its an oil based economy ,its really volatile and (fluid as well),it depends a lot on many other factors i.e. oil prices in international market.Besides,as the oil extraction process in AB is pretty expensive contrary to KSA and other ME countries,it requires the oil prices to be atleast 80$/barrel, for all oil projects, to remain viable.In addition,there is much concern here due to recent floods ,which will cost us billions of dollars and might take upto 10 years for the economy to recover, fully.Although,it will be too early to predict the long term impacts of floods ,still the adverse effects on economy are very likely especially on insurance industry ,real estate market in Calgary etc etc.

Hope that answers your questions.

mayankpandya

VIP Member
Apr 7, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-02-2011.
Doc's Request.
PER on 24- MAR- 2011.
AOR Received.
20-APRIL-2011
File Transfer...
In-Process on 30 May 2011
Med's Request
14 July 2011
Med's Done....
22 July 2011
Passport Req..
14 -Jul- 2011 Passport send on 26-Jul-11
VISA ISSUED...
29-AUG-11
LANDED..........
16-OCT-11
Thanks New comer,

If possible please post good info on Jobs & finding jobs in Edmonton.

Regards
Mayank

newcomer said:
Well knoweldge test is basically just computer based test regarding AB traffic rules and regulatiions.It has 30 MCQS with no time limit .You need to correctly answer atleast 26 Qs in order to pass.There are many online practice tests available ,which are really useful.The test is not at all difficult but one must study the Drivers Guide alongwith taking the online tests.You can take the test at any registry .No appointment is required but you need to take 2 pieces of government issued photo id,proof of your address with you at the time of taking test.Fee is around 17$ +GST.Below are the links for online version of Drivers Guide (book) and for practice tests

http://practiceexam.keys2drive.ca/

http://www.carsaga.ca/driving-test/alberta-driving-test/

http://www.transportation.alberta.ca/Content/doctype47/production/quiz/PracTestOne/quizmaker.html

http://www.shawnessyregistry.com/forms/Basicdrivershandbook2010.pdf

Advanced road test is a comprehensive road test .You need to book an appointment with any of the registries and a certified examiner will take your test.Fee varies with registries but is more than 100$ in any case.

Google and google map are the best tools to have an idea about Edmonton.

Hope that answers your questions.

SATDXB

Champion Member
Sep 11, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-Aug-09
Doc's Request.
02-Oct-09
File Transfer...
06-Oct-09
Med's Request
18-08-10
Med's Done....
09-09-10
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
19-01-2011 - Passport sent on 22-01-2011
VISA ISSUED...
11-04-2011
LANDED..........
19th May 2011- Thanks to Almighty!
edmonta said:
@ sonea,newcomer & dear fellows,
I am in UAE-Abu Dhabi and having UAE's driving license 5 yrs old as well as 10 yrs old Indian driving license.So are these licenses considered as International license or if not what shoud be the procedure for me to get Canadian/albertan license?
regards
Edmonta
Hi, you will get the INTERNATIONAL LICENSE from the driving schools in UAE. I think they will be needing your original license, passport and visa page photocoppy, and one photo, and the fees is around 150 DHS.

Hope that helps.

Cheers..

Gondal the great

Star Member
Jun 10, 2012
Glasgow
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12th Dec 2011
Doc's Request.
Additional doc request on 13 June 2013
AOR Received.
14-02-2012
IELTS Request
already sent
File Transfer...
dont know but it's in LVO as I saw it personally during my interview
Med's Request
8th July 2013
Med's Done....
12-07-2013.....my kids done on 22-07-2013, medical receieved in ecase 28-07-13
Interview........
13-06-2013
Passport Req..
22-11-2013 and Decision Made Line added on 6-12-2013
VISA ISSUED...
03-12-2013
LANDED..........
Ma Sha Allah 13th January 2014
sonea said:
since i moved from England last year and I've seen recession time over there even double dip recession, the best thing i like here is that the job market is way too better than in England and recession has not effected this country much.

we get to see many Desi people and halal restaurants (very cheap) in England but here you don't find much, here we have halal restaurants but they are expensive as compared to those in England, the reason behind this is that halal meat/chicken is expensive here in England we used to pay £6 for 3 halal chickens and here one chicken is around $10

same is the case with mobile phone deals you get free cellphone with a package which is very much affordable in England you get blackberry phone free with a package of £15 a month which includes around 100 mins/unlimited or 500 texts everywhere in UK and 100 MB data along with BBM and free iPhone for just £30 package (with contract for 1 to 2 year), whereas in Canada you have to pay too much for the packages as well as you put some upfront money to get a cellphone along with calling package. mobile's network coverage is also not very good here some companies have no network at a few places and you switch to roaming at these places, which again costs you too much.

cable service is cheap in UK sky TV, phone and broadband all cost you £30 in total excluding any desi/sports or other special channels you want but those too are cheap to add in your regular package.. but here it costs you around $100 for basic TV, broadband and phone with free Local calls only (here local means only within the city not even within the province).

England's banking is way too advanced than in Canada. UK banks have introduced security devices which look like a calculator, these are linked with your bank account so that you can make transactions online securely. You can transfer money/make payments online from your bank account to any other bank account, without visiting bank branch but in Canada you can only send money if you have receivers e mail address (online) which is an old and insecure practice. Canadian banks charge you for every transaction (including transactions through ATM cards, cheques and online money transfer) or you have to pay for a monthly package which allows certain limit of transactions to be free. Also if you use any other ATM machine (other than your bank's) you get a charge of $2.5. This service was free, through "one-link system", even in Pakistan years ago..

online shopping is easier in England but in Canada its not much developed.

Canada is expensive than the neighboring country USA. i was looking for a stroller at toyrus.com (american site) which was priced US$191 (which is around $198 CAD) and at toysrus.ca (Canadian site) the same stroller from same company and same model was $325 CAD.

city to city public transport system is cheaper and better by train/bus or plane in England. in Canada its expensive probably because its a vast country unlike UK where you can drive from Scotland to London in around 8 hours

England education system and medical is world class. for medical they deduct money each month from your salary as National Insurance to cover all your medical. dental services and medicines are free for under 18 and adults need to pay for their medicine if the cost of the medicine is more than £7 (difference only). in Canada they deduct some money too but they don't cover dental services and medicines even for kids.

Dressing/Fashion sense is better among people in England but in Canada you don't see people dressed up nicely its more like on the casual side.

Girls are prettier in England :D

The good thing is that no doubt Canada is expensive but at the same time salaries are higher so you can afford everything easily. as i said Job prospects are much much better. You have all rights while on PR except for voting but in England if you are a Permanent Resident (not a citizen) you only have the right to vote but you don't have other rights like claiming job seeker or unemployment allowance, child tax benefits, housing benefits and so on.

in England people are way tooooo racist but in Canada people are friendly and helpful.

In England citizenship process is hard and would cost you everything you have by the time you become a citizen. you can't save any penny while you are on PR. you have to work very very hard over there like if you are in a customer dealing job and someone complaints you can loose your job straight away for a minor thing.

I like it here as life is pretty tension free in England all i had to worry about was Extension of PR status and the cost involved..
also no job security specially in present situation.
i hated red old brick congested houses and historical building everywhere. now i hate history as I've had enough of it. :)
I have family in US and Canada so I don't feel lonely anymore.
my kids have adjusted very well, husband has a good job, lifestyle is good, we don't have to worry about maintaining our immigration status all the time and paying constantly to Government for nothing so all these positive things have made Canada, the best choice for us

wow what is comparison sonea....I am coming from UK to edmonton inn shaa Allah soon and happy with your comparison. most probably i am coming to edmonton. i am from pakistan currenlty in uk.
what about uk driving licence? as i got it about 6 years old

Umair

Jul 28, 2010
Edmonton
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-05-2009
Doc's Request.
06-08-2009
AOR Received.
23-12-2009 ( 2nd )
Med's Request
21 Feb 2012
Med's Done....
25 Feb 2012
Interview........
VISA ISSUED...
23-11-2012
LANDED..........
30 DEC 2012 EDMONTON Via Montreal YAHOO
sonea said:
since i moved from England last year and I've seen recession time over there even double dip recession, the best thing i like here is that the job market is way too better than in England and recession has not effected this country much.

we get to see many Desi people and halal restaurants (very cheap) in England but here you don't find much, here we have halal restaurants but they are expensive as compared to those in England, the reason behind this is that halal meat/chicken is expensive here in England we used to pay £6 for 3 halal chickens and here one chicken is around $10

same is the case with mobile phone deals you get free cellphone with a package which is very much affordable in England you get blackberry phone free with a package of £15 a month which includes around 100 mins/unlimited or 500 texts everywhere in UK and 100 MB data along with BBM and free iPhone for just £30 package (with contract for 1 to 2 year), whereas in Canada you have to pay too much for the packages as well as you put some upfront money to get a cellphone along with calling package. mobile's network coverage is also not very good here some companies have no network at a few places and you switch to roaming at these places, which again costs you too much.

cable service is cheap in UK sky TV, phone and broadband all cost you £30 in total excluding any desi/sports or other special channels you want but those too are cheap to add in your regular package.. but here it costs you around $100 for basic TV, broadband and phone with free Local calls only (here local means only within the city not even within the province).

England's banking is way too advanced than in Canada. UK banks have introduced security devices which look like a calculator, these are linked with your bank account so that you can make transactions online securely. You can transfer money/make payments online from your bank account to any other bank account, without visiting bank branch but in Canada you can only send money if you have receivers e mail address (online) which is an old and insecure practice. Canadian banks charge you for every transaction (including transactions through ATM cards, cheques and online money transfer) or you have to pay for a monthly package which allows certain limit of transactions to be free. Also if you use any other ATM machine (other than your bank's) you get a charge of $2.5. This service was free, through "one-link system", even in Pakistan years ago..

online shopping is easier in England but in Canada its not much developed.

Canada is expensive than the neighboring country USA. i was looking for a stroller at toyrus.com (american site) which was priced US$191 (which is around $198 CAD) and at toysrus.ca (Canadian site) the same stroller from same company and same model was $325 CAD.

city to city public transport system is cheaper and better by train/bus or plane in England. in Canada its expensive probably because its a vast country unlike UK where you can drive from Scotland to London in around 8 hours

England education system and medical is world class. for medical they deduct money each month from your salary as National Insurance to cover all your medical. dental services and medicines are free for under 18 and adults need to pay for their medicine if the cost of the medicine is more than £7 (difference only). in Canada they deduct some money too but they don't cover dental services and medicines even for kids.

Dressing/Fashion sense is better among people in England but in Canada you don't see people dressed up nicely its more like on the casual side.

Girls are prettier in England :D

The good thing is that no doubt Canada is expensive but at the same time salaries are higher so you can afford everything easily. as i said Job prospects are much much better. You have all rights while on PR except for voting but in England if you are a Permanent Resident (not a citizen) you only have the right to vote but you don't have other rights like claiming job seeker or unemployment allowance, child tax benefits, housing benefits and so on.

in England people are way tooooo racist but in Canada people are friendly and helpful.

In England citizenship process is hard and would cost you everything you have by the time you become a citizen. you can't save any penny while you are on PR. you have to work very very hard over there like if you are in a customer dealing job and someone complaints you can loose your job straight away for a minor thing.

I like it here as life is pretty tension free in England all i had to worry about was Extension of PR status and the cost involved..
also no job security specially in present situation.
i hated red old brick congested houses and historical building everywhere. now i hate history as I've had enough of it. :)
I have family in US and Canada so I don't feel lonely anymore.
my kids have adjusted very well, husband has a good job, lifestyle is good, we don't have to worry about maintaining our immigration status all the time and paying constantly to Government for nothing so all these positive things have made Canada, the best choice for us
All other things are encouraging except: Girls are prettier in England :D ;)

edmonta

Nov 14, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
0711 & 9212
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-May-2010
Doc's Request.
30-sept-2010
AOR Received.
1st-30th Sept 2010,2nd-08th June 2011
IELTS Request
done-7 band
File Transfer...
dont know what is this..in process from 26 april 2012
Med's Request
19-July-2013
Med's Done....
30-July-2013,ECAS updated with Medicals received on 18-Aug-2013
Interview........
not been called for..
Passport Req..
19-July-13
VISA ISSUED...
On 4th October 2013
LANDED..........
July 2014
SATDXB said:
Hi, you will get the INTERNATIONAL LICENSE from the driving schools in UAE. I think they will be needing your original license, passport and visa page photocoppy, and one photo, and the fees is around 150 DHS.

Hope that helps.

Cheers..
SATDXB & Newcomer,
thanks for yr replies.
@SATDXB,
Are you in Edmonton?I think I have met you in Dubai.
Regards
Edmonta

Thommo

Nov 20, 2010
Edmonton, Canada
mayankpandya said:
Dear All,

Please provide me information on taking knowledge test+taking advanced road test.

Is there any link or free tutorial online ?

Also how can i see MAP of Edmonton ?

Regards
Mayank
such info is available on google

Thommo

Nov 20, 2010
Edmonton, Canada
newcomer said:
Well International licence is an independent licence issued by your local transport dept/ministry .And, it is issued on the basis of your local DL/driving record.Usually its a fee based service and the procedure is different for different countries.In AB it has a maximum validity period of 1 year,depending upon the validity durationprovided by the issuing authorities.

Hope that helps!
international driving license is not required. your native country's license is good enough to drive in canada for initial period of one month.

pritishah1180

Star Member
Mar 26, 2013
INDIA
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Doc's Request.
Submitted
IELTS Request
SEND WITH APPLICATION
Med's Done....
send all documents on 18/03/2013
Hello EDMONTA,

I need information regarding Edmonton monthly expense of couple, abt weather, abt job.

which city is good for job and low house rent Calgary, Toronto or Edmonton?

coolguy2010

VIP Member
Jun 28, 2010
UAE
Category........
Visa Office......
London to Paris
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-05-2010
Doc's Request.
23-10-2010
Nomination.....
09-06-2011
AOR Received.
09-06-2011
IELTS Request
6 Band
File Transfer...
01-03-2013
Med's Request
01-03-2013
Med's Done....
30-03-2013
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
20-05-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-05-2013
LANDED..........
06-08-2013
you have got many answers for this.......this forum can help at the most by giving detailed experience by members.

But certain things you can experience urself after landing their and not thru this forum.....that's called personal experience....

pritishah1180 said:
Hello EDMONTA,

I need information regarding Edmonton monthly expense of couple, abt weather, abt job.

which city is good for job and low house rent Calgary, Toronto or Edmonton?

smiling_face

Champion Member
Apr 20, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 2010
VISA ISSUED...
Nov 2012
LANDED..........
Landed
Umair said:
Here is some useful links please go through

Regards

http://www.eisa-edmonton.org/

http://www.edmonton.com/moving-to-edmonton.aspx

http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/city/pages/ab-50_metric_e.html
All three are very helpful....thanks much for sharing.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
DavidsonTaylor said:
I'm planning to land in Downtown in September month, please give some information about Luxury furnished apartment rental Toronto. My preference is Mac Suites ( macsuites.ca) . But not sure of their service. Any experiences?
Do you aware that you post in the wrong thread? Toronto is in Ontario (not Alberta)