+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

ECA requirement where both Bachelors and Masters degree are present

manishcy

Apr 25, 2016
Hi, looking for help with my following situation:

I'm in middle of completing my Express Entry application at CIC website. I've two qualifications that I have entered in it:
1) First one is Bachelor of Arts (B.A.), obtained in year 1992, from Osmania University, Hyderabad, India.
2) Second one is Master of Business Administration (M.B.A.), obtained in year 2007, from University of Kansas School of Business, Lawrence, KS, USA

I need to get ECA done for these qualifications. Now as per the link www [dot] cic [dot] gc [dot] ca/english/immigrate/skilled/assessment [dot] asp?expand=designated#designated under the section "What your report means", there is this following text ...

"The organization will give you an original report that will tell you:

whether your credentials are valid, and
if they are equal to a completed Canadian one.
If your assessment report shows that your completed foreign credential is equal to a completed Canadian one, you can include this information in your Express Entry profile. You will get points under the CRS for your highest credential found equal to a completed Canadian one.

You may be eligible to receive points for certain combinations of two post-secondary credentials (whether Canadian, foreign equivalent or a combination of both). If you are invited to apply for permanent residence, you will need to include your ECA reference number when you apply"
I am interpreting the above bold underlined text to mean that it's enough for me to get my Masters qualification (MBA) assessed for ECA since I'll get points for my highest credential. Accordingly, there is no need to get my Bachelors degree (BA) assessed for ECA as it will not give any benefit.

Can someone knowledgeable on this subject please advise if above is a correct understanding or not?

Thanks a lot in advance!

jairichi

Champion Member
Jan 21, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
manishcy said:
Hi, looking for help with my following situation:

I'm in middle of completing my Express Entry application at CIC website. I've two qualifications that I have entered in it:
1) First one is Bachelor of Arts (B.A.), obtained in year 1992, from Osmania University, Hyderabad, India.
2) Second one is Master of Business Administration (M.B.A.), obtained in year 2007, from University of Kansas School of Business, Lawrence, KS, USA

I need to get ECA done for these qualifications. Now as per the link www [dot] cic [dot] gc [dot] ca/english/immigrate/skilled/assessment [dot] asp?expand=designated#designated under the section "What your report means", there is this following text ...

I am interpreting the above bold underlined text to mean that it's enough for me to get my Masters qualification (MBA) assessed for ECA since I'll get points for my highest credential. Accordingly, there is no need to get my Bachelors degree (BA) assessed for ECA as it will not give any benefit.

Can someone knowledgeable on this subject please advise if above is a correct understanding or not?

Thanks a lot in advance!
Normally agencies will ask both your bachelor's and master's transcripts and degree certificate. Better to send them both.

manishcy

Apr 25, 2016
Thanks for the response. Since the Bachelors degree is from an Indian university, getting transcripts in a sealed and signed envelope from them will be a painstaking process, especially when compared to the easy instant online process for my Masters degree from US university. So if the Bachelors degree doesn't adds value to the process, I would like to skip it.

Any further advice on this. Anybody?

niravk

Jul 16, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You need documents from both Hyderabad and US.

You just need to physically make an application to procure transcripts from Hyderabad.

EhabHassaneen

Star Member
Dec 2, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
21 Oct 2015
AOR Received.
02 Nov 2015
They will require both.
I was in the same situation and my ECA shows 1) Master's 2) Bachelor

Good Luck

jairichi

Champion Member
Jan 21, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
manishcy said:
Thanks for the response. Since the Bachelors degree is from an Indian university, getting transcripts in a sealed and signed envelope from them will be a painstaking process, especially when compared to the easy instant online process for my Masters degree from US university. So if the Bachelors degree doesn't adds value to the process, I would like to skip it.

Well, I hold a PhD degree as my highest qualification. I was still asked to send my bachelor's and master's documents.

Mr Singh

Star Member
Apr 18, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
To be Filed
Doc's Request.
Soon
Nomination.....
Soon
AOR Received.
Soon
IELTS Request
7.5,7,6,7=7
File Transfer...
Soon
Med's Request
Soon
Med's Done....
Soon
Interview........
Soon
Passport Req..
Soon
VISA ISSUED...
Soon
LANDED..........
Soon
I HAVE DONE 2YEAR ANIMATION DIPLOMA AFTER MY 10+2, THEN MY GRADUATION FROM DELHI UNIVERSITY ?

I NEED TRANSCRIPT FOR GRADUATION ONLY OR 10TH ONWARDS FOR ECA ?

Stanlee

VIP Member
Jan 29, 2016
manishcy said:

The requirement states 'You should choose the highest level degree, diploma or certificate (or combination) that will award you the most points. For example, you would get more points for an ECA report that shows you have a Canadian equivalent of a master’s degree than for one that shows you have the equivalent of a bachelor’s degree.'

Based on the requirement, for the purpose of Express Entry, you need to get only your highest degree assessed by WES. Having said that, if WES requests your Bachelors credentials, then you may have to submit them, so be prepared for it. For the purpose of Express Entry, you can go ahead with Masters only.

Reactions: Tracelyn2015

Stanlee

VIP Member
Jan 29, 2016
Mr Singh said:
I HAVE DONE 2YEAR ANIMATION DIPLOMA AFTER MY 10+2, THEN MY GRADUATION FROM DELHI UNIVERSITY ?

I NEED TRANSCRIPT FOR GRADUATION ONLY OR 10TH ONWARDS FOR ECA ?
In your case, send both graduation and diploma transcripts to WES for assessment, no need for 10th and 12th. If you send both graduation and diploma and WES assesses it accordingly, then you can select 'two or more degrees, where one is at least three years...' which will fetch you more points than just getting Bachelors assessed.

manishcy

Apr 25, 2016
Stanlee said:
The requirement states 'You should choose the highest level degree, diploma or certificate (or combination) that will award you the most points. For example, you would get more points for an ECA report that shows you have a Canadian equivalent of a master’s degree than for one that shows you have the equivalent of a bachelor’s degree.'

Based on the requirement, for the purpose of Express Entry, you need to get only your highest degree assessed by WES. Having said that, if WES requests your Bachelors credentials, then you may have to submit them, so be prepared for it. For the purpose of Express Entry, you can go ahead with Masters only.
Thanks a lot. This is quite useful information. Further question now.....

Based on this info, in the order for my ECA at WES site, will it be ok if I don't include Bachelors degree information in it, and submit details of only my Masters? If yes, and as you mentioned that my Bachelors might still get asked for, will WES ask for it even if I haven't included it in my original order with WES. And in such a case, will WES demand additional payment for Bachelors since I didn't include it in the original order?

Stanlee

VIP Member
Jan 29, 2016
manishcy said:
Thanks a lot. This is quite useful information. Further question now.....

Based on this info, in the order for my ECA at WES site, will it be ok if I don't include Bachelors degree information in it, and submit details of only my Masters? If yes, and as you mentioned that my Bachelors might still get asked for, will WES ask for it even if I haven't included it in my original order with WES. And in such a case, will WES demand additional payment for Bachelors since I didn't include it in the original order?
WES assesses educational credentials based on various parameters which are not publicized. As far as I can guess, these include the course duration, total credits, country of education, institution etc. So I am not sure whether they will ask for your Bachelors. If you have a feeling that they can ask for it, then would suggest you to include Bachelors as well. It may take some time but will save you some money. WES does not charge you by the number of degrees that are assessed (in one go), but I am not sure about the fees when each are sent separately.

For your Bachelors, you can authorize someone to go on your behalf to the university and collect the transcripts in a stamped and sealed envelope and send it to WES.

ThiagoSCF

Star Member
Aug 31, 2015
Brazil
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Did WES assess your MBA as Masters degree?

Mine was assessed as "Post-graduation diploma". MBA in Advanced Computer Engineering (2 years)

manishcy

Apr 25, 2016
ThiagoSCF said:
Did WES assess your MBA as Masters degree?

Mine was assessed as "Post-graduation diploma". MBA in Advanced Computer Engineering (2 years)
I haven't got it assessed as yet... still in the process of it.

manishcy

Apr 25, 2016
Stanlee said:
WES assesses educational credentials based on various parameters which are not publicized. As far as I can guess, these include the course duration, total credits, country of education, institution etc. So I am not sure whether they will ask for your Bachelors. If you have a feeling that they can ask for it, then would suggest you to include Bachelors as well. It may take some time but will save you some money. WES does not charge you by the number of degrees that are assessed (in one go), but I am not sure about the fees when each are sent separately.

For your Bachelors, you can authorize someone to go on your behalf to the university and collect the transcripts in a stamped and sealed envelope and send it to WES.
Thanks for your valuable help. I have decided to take a chance. Accordingly have gone ahead and requested ECA from WES for only my Masters. Let's see how it turns up. Will post updates to this forum as and when I get result.

ThiagoSCF

Star Member
Aug 31, 2015
Brazil
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
manishcy said:
I haven't got it assessed as yet... still in the process of it.
So they'll probably assess it in the same way they did mine.

Then you would have to choose the "Two or more certificates, diplomas, or degrees" option instead of "Masters degree" in the EE profile. The first one gives less points than the second one, which is unfortunate.

Best of luck!