+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

ECA for Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA)

Jinnraj

Dec 5, 2019
Hi folks,

I am a CFA Charterholder and have a Bachelor's degree in commerce. I noted from many other posts that CFA is not recognized by WES for ECA as it is a professional degree. I am quite surprised since many of my friends who are CA/ACCA (both are professional courses) have got their Bachelor's degree equivalent score and have moved to Canada. CFA is a globally known certification and in demand in Canada. Why would WES not accept it? Is there any way to get this sorted? Without CFA my CRS takes a huge hit.

Any guidance would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Regards,

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi folks,

I am a CFA Charterholder and have a Bachelor's degree in commerce. I noted from many other posts that CFA is not recognized by WES for ECA as it is a professional degree. I am quite surprised since many of my friends who are CA/ACCA (both are professional courses) have got their Bachelor's degree equivalent score and have moved to Canada. CFA is a globally known certification and in demand in Canada. Why would WES not accept it? Is there any way to get this sorted? Without CFA my CRS takes a huge hit.

Any guidance would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Regards,
FYI - For Canadian immigration purposes, "professional degrees needed to practice in a licensed profession" are limited to the following professions:
  • Medicine
  • Veterinary Medicine
  • Dentistry
  • Optometry
  • Law
  • Chiropractic Medicine
  • Pharmacy

Jinnraj

Dec 5, 2019
Thanks for clarifying, however, my query is if CA and ACCA are recognized why not CFA, because all are Chartered courses held by well known recognized institutes.

Matt90

Dec 18, 2019
Thanks for clarifying, however, my query is if CA and ACCA are recognized why not CFA, because all are Chartered courses held by well known recognized institutes.
This frustrated me so much.

The whole designation means absolutely nothing in terms of points.

Jinnraj

Dec 5, 2019
You should mention your complete education details including CFA. You can ask CFA institute to send a letter or transcript directly to WES. This is just for sake of completeness though.

Jinnraj

Dec 5, 2019
Infact they are very prompt, in my case they sent me soft copy of the letter and sent the hardcopy to WES the same day I sent them email request. I challenged my WES results but in vain, they don't accept CFA. Strangely CA and ACCA inspite of being professional courses like CFA are accepted.

Feb 26, 2020
Lovely. Thanks for your prompt reply too.

So I go by :

Institute type: Professional Education
Organization : Chartered financial organization
Course : Chartered Financial Analyst

If I go by the country US
Institute type : Higher education
Then it doesn't even let me key in the CFA detaila.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Lovely. Thanks for your prompt reply too.

So I go by :

Then it doesn't even let me key in the CFA detaila.
The previous post said that CFA is not evaluated as a degree by WES. It is really an exam/qualification not a degree.

Jinnraj

Dec 5, 2019
The previous post said that CFA is not evaluated as a degree by WES. It is really an exam/qualification not a degree.
My only question is why this unequal treatment with CFA? Why CA and ACCA being a professional qualification are recognised by WES? Call CFA degree or qualification, my limited point of contention is there should be equal recognition to similar set of education courses.

Feb 26, 2020
Well! Questioning that here will not help you.

A defined process is defined.

So what I get out of this is - fill it in WES form and request for attestation from the CFA org.
It doesn't count however better to have a complete profile.

Jinnraj

Dec 5, 2019
Indeed. That was more of my explanation about writing this query in the first place rather than questioning again to the community. I have already debated with WES on this.

Yes that's the process for CFA. Include it in your application.

Feb 26, 2020
Thanks a lot for your replies. It's very helpful.
Could you please confirm the category:

Then it doesn't even let me key in the CFA details.