+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

ECA - British Masters equivalent to Canadian?

Jul 22, 2019
Hey guys, I am just looking at my options for getting my qualifications recognised in Canada through an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA). I have a Master's degree which I obtained at a British university, and which I completed in one year, which is standard for the UK. I know that Master's are usually two years in Canada, but this often also includes teaching which you don't do in the UK. A two year Master's is actually standard in a lot of countries, so the UK is a bit of an anomaly here. Can anyone advise me on whether a one year British Master's is like to be recognised as equivalent to a two year Canadian one? I already contacted WES, IQAS and other providers of ECAs and they all told me that they couldn't offer any advice on the outcome of the assessment in advance. Are there any people on here who completed a one year Master's and had it successfully recognised in Canada who can offer advice? Thanks a lot :)

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hey guys, I am just looking at my options for getting my qualifications recognised in Canada through an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA). I have a Master's degree which I obtained at a British university, and which I completed in one year, which is standard for the UK. I know that Master's are usually two years in Canada, but this often also includes teaching which you don't do in the UK. A two year Master's is actually standard in a lot of countries, so the UK is a bit of an anomaly here. Can anyone advise me on whether a one year British Master's is like to be recognised as equivalent to a two year Canadian one? I already contacted WES, IQAS and other providers of ECAs and they all told me that they couldn't offer any advice on the outcome of the assessment in advance. Are there any people on here who completed a one year Master's and had it successfully recognised in Canada who can offer advice? Thanks a lot :)
Depends on the school.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I have a Master of Science from Lancaster University. Do you know what sort of criteria they judge by?
That should be evaluated as a Master's.

I would be concerned if it was a low tier university and let's say your studies had all been online (i.e. diploma mill).

You won't know of course until you get the evaluation done. But my guess is that this will be the equivalent of a Master's.