+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Early application for Permanent Residency?

S-valor

Jun 4, 2019
Hello all,

I am currently trying to get permanent residency through the Canadian Experience Class program. I have been working for an employer since July 30th, 2018. However, my post-graduate work permit expires on June 25th, 2019... 35 days before I would have my one year of work experience required for the program. If I had my one year of work experience I would have 480 points

I met with a lawyer who told me one method I could use to work status would be to do the following:
  • Submit an application for permanent residency this month (June)
  • Because the online application would count July 2018 -> June 2019, I would get the full 480 points
  • Wait to be invited to apply
  • Once invited, do not actually apply for permanent residency, but wait until July 30th, as I have 60 days to submit my "full" application
Is this correct? Am I missing steps and is this a valid method? I'm concerned about whether or not I would have the status to continue working.

Many thanks, any advice is appreciated

S-valor

Jun 4, 2019
Okay, so I should NOT apply until I have the full one year of experience, understood!

To add to my situation:

I have been told that I can apply for a work permit extension and was planning to do so without an lmia from my employer so that I could gain implied status for the extra month that I need. However, I've heard that there's a method that I could do this without sending a letter of explanation (since I'd be applying without the lmia). I'm also concerned that because I won't have an lmia that the application will be marked as incomplete and I will not benefit from the implied status...

Does anyone know if this is true, or have any further advice? I'd truly appreciate any advice you have. Thank again!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Okay, so I should NOT apply until I have the full one year of experience, understood!

To add to my situation:

I have been told that I can apply for a work permit extension and was planning to do so without an lmia from my employer so that I could gain implied status for the extra month that I need. However, I've heard that there's a method that I could do this without sending a letter of explanation (since I'd be applying without the lmia). I'm also concerned that because I won't have an lmia that the application will be marked as incomplete and I will not benefit from the implied status...

Does anyone know if this is true, or have any further advice? I'd truly appreciate any advice you have. Thank again!
To echo what I said in the private message, this will not work. This used to work a few years ago, but IRCC changed he rules.

If you apply for an extension without an LMIA, you are right, the application will be returned as incomplete. You won't benefit from implied status and won't be able to count any of the additional work experience (after you PGWP expired) towards PR. Your employer needs to obtain an approved LMIA to extend the work permit.

johnrance87

Aug 14, 2011
Hey y'all,

I am working full time and I am confused with the calculation of hours or weeks so I can apply for PR thru CEC.
I work 40 hours a week so technically, I am able to complete 1,560 hours on my 10th month.
Can I apply by then or should I wait for the 1 year mark?
Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thank you and Go Raptors!

J

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hey y'all,

I am working full time and I am confused with the calculation of hours or weeks so I can apply for PR thru CEC.
I work 40 hours a week so technically, I am able to complete 1,560 hours on my 10th month.
Can I apply by then or should I wait for the 1 year mark?
Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thank you and Go Raptors!

J
Short answer is no.

You cannot apply early. You must wait until you hit the 1 year mark. To qualify, you need to have 52 weeks of experience where you worked at least 30 hours per week. Extra hours cannot be "carried over" to allow you to apply early.

asish1981

Jun 3, 2019
Short answer is no.

You cannot apply early. You must wait until you hit the 1 year mark. To qualify, you need to have 52 weeks of experience where you worked at least 30 hours per week. Extra hours cannot be "carried over" to allow you to apply early.
Hi Scylla,

My spouse was working for a financial institution as Financial Service Representative since January 2018. But she got her work permit on July 2018, so we are waiting for 1 year to complete as our lawyer told us that the work experience will count from the day she get her work permit. Last month she had switched to a new Bank and working as Financial Advisor and there is a gap of 1 week in between.

So my question is that Is it a must to finish minimum 1 year with an organization to claim the points or can we apply through CEC after July 2019?

Looking for your reply.

Thanks,