+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

DWI - 10 years ago

lost

Aug 9, 2007
Hello!

I understand that DWI is a major offence in Cananda. Do we have a chance if my husband had a DWI 10 years ago (and it' the only thing that he EVER had) and he is not the primary applicant. What additional paper work has to be filed?

Appriciate all your help!

Thank you!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

lost said:
Hello!

I understand that DWI is a major offence in Cananda. Do we have a chance if my husband had a DWI 10 years ago (and it' the only thing that he EVER had) and he is not the primary applicant. What additional paper work has to be filed?

Appriciate all your help!

Thank you!
He will need to apply for approval of rehabilitation from CHC. If the DWI is over 10 years ago he may be deemed to be rehabilitated, but you should read this: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5312ETOC.asp

PMM

AngieB

Aug 12, 2013
Yes DWIs are seen as a major offence in Canada.
The good thing about your husband's situation is that it happened 10 years ago, so he has 2 options:

1. He can apply for criminal rehabilitation (since the conviction was more than 5 years ago). This process can take several months to be processed but it is worth it because it is a permanent solution.

2. He can also apply for a TRP which is for people who are inadmissible to canada but will temporarily over look the inadmissibility and allow them into Canada temporarily.

Hope that helps!

MilesAway

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-09-2014
Doc's Request.
09-04-2015
AOR Received.
12-11-2014
File Transfer...
30-10-2014
Med's Done....
26-08-2014
Passport Req..
23-04-2015
VISA ISSUED...
07-05-2015
LANDED..........
04-06-2015
If I may ask, why did you bring back a 6 year old thread?

SantaRich

Aug 22, 2017
I am going to have to bring back this thread as well. I have followed the above directions and keep getting:
"If this message is not eventually replaced by the proper contents of the document, your PDF viewer may not be able to display this type of document...." I have the current version of Acrobat and still receive this error message. I am also looking to come into Canada for the Canadian Tire Race in just over a week from now and just found out about the stringent DWI laws. I've had 2 (USA) in my past, most recent served over 25 years ago. I just want to make sure that I will be able to enter your wonderful Country. If anyone can provide me with direct links to the proper documentation I would have to download or a non-automated US working number for whoever I need to talk to, it would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance for your time and troubles