+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Dutch non-emigrant business in Canada

ZMacZ

Apr 10, 2015
OK..in short:

I am from the Netherlands Dutch national residing there..

I wanna start a small company in Canada..
Now if I do, can I help build it ?
If not, what do I need to do to help set it up there ?
I am a hands on person, so I wanna check up on everything myself..
From th e moment from setting it up, to operation would be less than 6 months,
after which I'd go back home..
On site operation would be a single (local) enigneer..
Only in the case of gross malfunction would I return to check up on it..

Now..what kinda work permit or visa would I need to perform such a duty in Canada ?
I treid looking it up, and doing the forms, but for some weird reason,
it keeps spitting "you can't's back at me..

1. I come to Canada
2. I Make funds available for starting the business.
3. I import some stuff to be set-up in the field.
4. I set-up the business on land I buy there. (how ? that's another question, since it's kinda hard buying land over there..)
(this would be 3-5 months period tops..)
5. I put someone over there in charge of the day-to-day operations of the business.
6. After that is done, i go back to the Netherlands.
(7. Only in case of emergency: I'd come back again to see wth is happening to my overseas business. )

Now..what do I need, if at all ?
A business visa, a worker visa or both ? (if at all)

And thanx for for taking time to read this and reply (if you do)

NOTE: They REALLY oughta make an online form for this, cuz the way it is right now ?..kinda sucks..
If you wanna attract (small) foreign investors, don't make it hard to get things done..

(And nope..after all that red tape reading..REALLY diidn't wanna check 100+ topics sounding roughly the same..I have a maximum attention span
of roughly 15 minutes for red tape..and it took me over an hour, so there you have it..sorry..)

(Also, no-one believes that remote monitoring of any operation IS possible, but it is. !YAY! Internet.)..

(also..I need no investment partners, nor do I want them. I don't want anyone leeching my business...)

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
You might find this helpful.
http://sbinfocanada.about.com/od/startup/f/Non-Canadians-How-to-Open-a-Business-in-Canada.htm
http://sbinfocanada.about.com/od/nonresidents/

ZMacZ

Apr 10, 2015
Ah...

So in order to strat a busniess as a non-immgrant, you gotta have partners per se..

Isn't that kinda weird ?

(that sounds like "you can't have a business, unless you live here"..)

That makes attracting foreign investors kinda hard no ?

The options are either to immigrate there and be sole proprietor, or be forced to have Canadian partners (and sunsequently having to disclose
any means used of operation disclosed beforehand, making it VERY possible for the would-be partner to simply say
"hey..I can do that myself..thanx..but I think I can take it from there..thanx for the input..your 'assistance' is no longer required.."

wth ??

The way I'd want my business is simple..sole proprietor living abroad (subsequently being the only one having anything to say in the day-to-day operations)
No board, no cost towards having 'partners'..the only thing that would happen is one maybe two people working there..
And they'd be Canadians ofc..

From my point of view there's a small pie there, and having a 'board' would make it way smaller..

Is it possible AT ALL to have a business there and NOT have a board nor partners, while being a non-resident/Canadian ?

ZMacZ

Apr 10, 2015
The thing is, in Nunavut, there's very few people..

They import oil like crazy to keep their houses warm and their cars driving..
(which from the looks of it, are like the biggest petrol guzzlers they could find..)

My alternative would be clean, and very long lasting with minimal effects on long term ecology..
Why ?..well..let's just say I'd like to keep parts of the earth in the best shape possible while people
can still have their cake after eating it..
they expressed their concerns with renewable energy, in order to curb their oil use..and I would like to provide
a simple and elegant solution that won't harm the environment..

But now it's hoops..or forced partnership..
Forced partnership would make the entire enterprise defunct, especially if other people get a say in how to run it..
I'm not interested in partners that are in it for the money..only in a busniess that can generate a modest profit, while providing..
(just power at first, and computer technology later, with a side order of locally produced foods after that..)
No bottom line reasoning..no greed..
As soon as that enters the equation, it all goes downhill from there..
(cutting corners, bad service, bad planning, lack of efficiency due to oversize..simply put..bad management..all in favor of the bottom line..)

So..if there's a way to do my thing, and simply create a small busness WITHOUT forced partnership or actually living there..
Lemme know allright ?

And nope..I don't have a business in the Netherlands or Canada yet..

(although I'm trying a similar project in Greenland...)