+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Durham area nuclear plants!! Safe to buy a home!?

Jancy

Star Member
Oct 18, 2017
There are some great developments of detached homes in Whitby which are well within my budget but am hesitant because of the Darlington and Pickering nuclear plants within 50 kilometer . What do you guys think about this location . Is it wise to buy in Durham just because it's cheaper now. Will the home value appreciate as well as the other GTA burbs?

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
Real estate almost always appreciates in value—obviously there are no guarantees, but most Canadian families build the bulk of their wealth in home equity. The nuclear facilities do keep prices down somewhat within about 10 km, but that's the tradeoff.

Jancy

Star Member
Oct 18, 2017
Real estate almost always appreciates in value—obviously there are no guarantees, but most Canadian families build the bulk of their wealth in home equity. The nuclear facilities do keep prices down somewhat within about 10 km, but that's the tradeoff.
Value appreciation aside, how safe is it to live so close to two nuclear plants. What do the locals think about this? Does it bother them at all? I like the area because of the access to GO station and affordable housing and schools seem to be good too. I just want to make sure I am not writing this location off because of the plants, if it is not as dangerous I think it is

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
The reactors are older but they are rigourously maintained and generally considered to be safe. In the very unlikely event of an issue there would be an evacuation plan in place. All households within 10 km are supplied with KI tablets.

Jancy

Star Member
Oct 18, 2017
The reactors are older but they are rigourously maintained and generally considered to be safe. In the very unlikely event of an issue there would be an evacuation plan in place. All households within 10 km are supplied with KI tablets.
Thank you. Would you recommend Whitby to an young family who would probably be working in downtown?

Jancy

Star Member
Oct 18, 2017
Depends. What do you like doing on weekends? Are you willing to buy a car? Where are you from?
We are from India. We plan to buy a car. We like being outdoors , camping and also like farmers markets ,art and food festivals

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
Good and good; public transport in Durham is definitely the weakest in the GTA and the fun stuff to do is outdoors-centric. The South Asian population is fairly modest in Whitby itself but larger in Ajax and Pickering; obviously this can be either a good or bad thing depending on your preferences.

Jancy

Star Member
Oct 18, 2017
Good and good; public transport in Durham is definitely the weakest in the GTA and the fun stuff to do is outdoors-centric. The South Asian population is fairly modest in Whitby itself but larger in Ajax and Pickering; obviously this can be either a good or bad thing depending on your preferences.
Thank you for your inputs. We have narrowed down our options to Oakville,Milton, Whitby. Been contemplating if we want a bigger house that Whitby can offer or a modest place away from the nuclear plants in Oakville/Milton for better transportation and culture

KRP

Jan 13, 2012
Category........
FSW
LANDED..........
01/02/2011
There are some great developments of detached homes in Whitby which are well within my budget but am hesitant because of the Darlington and Pickering nuclear plants within 50 kilometer . What do you guys think about this location . Is it wise to buy in Durham just because it's cheaper now. Will the home value appreciate as well as the other GTA burbs?
Jancy please read this article :
https://www.durhamregion.com/news-story/9834178-pickering-council-wants-nuclear-station-dismantled-as-soon-as-possible/

Next read this one:
https://www.durhamradionews.com/archives/120414

My personal opinion as a Mallu is you should consider Whitby. The prices will go higher when these projects take place.

Jancy

Star Member
Oct 18, 2017
Jancy please read this article :
https://www.durhamregion.com/news-story/9834178-pickering-council-wants-nuclear-station-dismantled-as-soon-as-possible/

Next read this one:
https://www.durhamradionews.com/archives/120414

My personal opinion as a Mallu is you should consider Whitby. The prices will go higher when these projects take place.
Hello. All good points. Trust me am very tempted to just go book one of those new constructions in Whitby but doing my homework. Only pickering is going to be shut down in 2024 but what about Darlington. Will it continue to have any effect on the safety of Durham residents and appreciation of home values?
Also, Do you live in Whitby?

KRP

Jan 13, 2012
Category........
FSW
LANDED..........
01/02/2011
Hello. All good points. Trust me am very tempted to just go book one of those new constructions in Whitby but doing my homework. Only pickering is going to be shut down in 2024 but what about Darlington. Will it continue to have any effect on the safety of Durham residents and appreciation of home values?
Also, Do you live in Whitby?
Darlington is around 24kms away from Whitby located in Bowmanville. It will never be closed .
Next Pickering and Whitby distance is around 18 kms.
Regarding safety of Durham residents if all were to think about this nuclear plant aspect you will find no human being in Pickering/Ajax /Whitby/Oshawa.
When you board a plane what guarantee is there that you will land safely?
Similarly in life do not think too much as no one knows what can happen in the next minute.
Scores of people known to me have moved to the Durham area as prices are soaring in Toronto with no effects seen from the pandemic.
I have postponed my plans to buy as of now due to prices not in my range and I do not intend to move to Durham area /Brampton/Mississauga. etc.