+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

DURATION OUT OF CANADA

bharat999

Mar 5, 2014
Hi,

I just need clarification on my case. We got our PR visas stamped on our passports from 24th May 2012 upto 19th April 2013. We did our exploratory visit (and drop my daughter to University) - from 2nd September 2012 and came back 6th November 2012. While we were in Canada we applied for our SIN / PR card and before departed got our PR cards with expiry date as 31st October 2017.

My question is when is the last date we need to arrive in Canada so that we do not lose our citizenship status eventually after three years of continuous stay? I need to get this information so that we know what time span we have here to wind up finally and also give notice to the company where I am currently employed in. Kindly advise.

meyakanor

Jul 26, 2013
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
16-02-2012
Doc's Request.
26-02-2013
AOR Received.
21-03-2012
Med's Request
21-03-2013
Passport Req..
16-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-04-2013
LANDED..........
16-05-2013
Since you have become PR for less than five years, you need to be able to satisfy the residency obligation before the completion of your fifth year. That is, you need to be physically present in Canada for at least 731 days between September 2 2012 and September 1 2017.

If you have been a permanent resident for less than five (5) years

you must show that you will be able to meet the minimum of 730 days of physical presence in Canada within five (5) years of the date you became a permanent resident.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5445ETOC.asp#appendixA
Since you left Canada on November 6 2012, it's probably wise to come back way before November 2015, preferably even before September 2015 (since that would be your third anniversary as a Canadian PR).

If you come back between September and November 4 2015, then you need to be able to prove to the border guard that you were present in Canada until November 6 2012.

If you come back before September 1 2015, then you're not running into any residency obligation risk at all, since you have not even been a PR for three years, and can't possibly be in the breach of residency obligation.

If you come back after November 4 2015, then you violate the residency obligation, and run the risk of getting reported and losing your PR status.

neerajkapoor

Mar 11, 2014
Dear Bharat,
Good morning,

Infact, I have received my Visa / approval for Permanent Immigration to Canada under Provincial Nominee Program in March-2014 and need your expert advice. I am planning to visit Canada, complete minimum requirements (PR, SIN, Bank Account etc) and come back to India for few months because children have to finish schooling and I will be looking for job in Canada.
I have following queries,
Minimum Stay in Canada on landing : As described my situation above, what is the minimum period we will have to stay in Canada before we temporarily leave Canada?
Permanent Residence Card : I understand, it takes 40 to 50 calendar days to receive PR card. I can give mailing address of one of my friends in Canada. Is it possible to leave Canada before our PRs are received? And later, my friend can send PRs to my address and India?
Social Insurance Number : I understand I can apply for SIN with providing “Confirmation of Permanent Residence AND visa counterfoil affixed to our foreign passports”? How much time it takes to receive the same?

Bringing Money to Canada : How much money will be enough for one month stay? What is the best way to bring money? Demand Draft etc…

Bank Account : How fast I will be able to open bank account? What are the documents required for the same?

Qualification : I am Graduate in mechanical Engineering and Post-graduate in Mechanical Engineering. My certificates have been authenticated by World Education Centre (WES) Canada. Do I need to appear for any examination before I apply for job in Canada.

I sincerely request you to answer my queries and help me.

Expressing my gratitude in advance,

appreciate if you can drop an email to neerajkapoor1967@gmail.com

Yours sincerely,

Neeraj Kapoor

bharat999

Mar 5, 2014
Hi Neeraj,

Referring to your above post - perhaps you would like to pass your questions to one of the star members - as I myself is seeking for valuable advise. :'(

All the best!!!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I already replied to it here: http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/queries-new-immigrant-minimum-stay-1st-time-landing-t189742.0.html