+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Duration of PGWP

Sasayeed

Jul 15, 2020
Hi All!

Hope you all are doing well. I would love your feedback on some inquiries I have regarding my program of study and what happens after it is complete.
Below are the details of my college:

College of Acceptance: George Brown
Type of Degree: Ontario College Graduate Certificate
Program length: 8 months (2 semesters)
Start date: January 11, 2021
Delivery type: Less than 50% online, remaining in-c;ass; 2nd semester includes Co-Op

I would love to know the answers to the following questions:

1. whether I would be eligible for a post graduate work permit (PGWP) after the program ends
2. If I do get a PGWP, how long would it be?
3. After the PGWP expires, what do I do then if I want to continue staying in Toronto?

Any information/guidance would be great! Thank you!

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
1. Yes.
2. Eight months.
3. Find an employer to sponsor you for another work permit, or get a provincial nomination.

thevisawhisperer

Champion Member
Jun 10, 2020
West Coast
The PGWP will most be valid for a year, but you need to use every minute of it. Be sure to apply before your study permit expires so that you can begin working immediately, while you are waiting. That could give you more than a year of valid working experience.

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
The PGWP will most be valid for a year, but you need to use every minute of it. Be sure to apply before your study permit expires so that you can begin working immediately, while you are waiting. That could give you more than a year of valid working experience.
If the program is only eight months the PGWP will not be a year.

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
Its really up to the officer, you will get either 8 months or 1 year, most likely 1 year if it says its a 1 year program.