+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

DUI - Convicted - need help post grad work permit

jeremied

Dec 5, 2014
I was recently charged with impaired driving and over .80.
The case is pretty strong against me. So I have decided to plead guilty. I just had a few questions regarding my departure from canada.
1) Can I pay the fine after the court hearing and leave right after?
2) Should I inform CIC or wait till they send me a letter to leave the country.
3) Can I leave without informing them?

I made a mistake and I regret it. I just want to leave in good terms and start a life again in my home country.

Can someone please help me understand the process as to what happens after the court date. And how long do I have to wait before I can leave.

Appreciate a few responses.

gates1580

Star Member
May 13, 2013
jeremied said:
The case is pretty strong against me. So I have decided to plead guilty. I just had a few questions regarding my departure from canada.

I made a mistake and I regret it. I just want to leave in good terms and start a life again in my home country.

Can someone please help me understand the process as to what happens after the court date. And how long do I have to wait before I can leave.

Your situation is really unfortunate.
DUI with over 0.08 is a serious conviction. In some cases, it might result in deportation if you are a foreigner on a visa.
But there is still hope. Before you please guilty, I would suggest you to find a very good lawyer specializing in the traffic violations.
This case depends on how good your lawyer is. Basically, he needs to find a court date for you where both the judge & the prosecutor are lenient type personalities. If he is able to do that, then you might get off without a conviction & some community service.
One of my best friends got caught DUI with blood alcohol level = 0.19.
He found a super good lawyer who charged him quite a bit but got him out without a conviction or record on his name.

Having said that, it is best to prepare for the worst.
But question - why are planning to leave the country? Even if you are ineligible for PR, you might still get your work permit. Isn't is advisable to work for a few years, make some money and leave?

jeremied

Dec 5, 2014
The work permit is revoked is what I have heard. So anyone has any information or could connect me to someone who knows this process please help

xecuter

Star Member
Oct 13, 2012
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jeremied said:
The work permit is revoked is what I have heard. So anyone has any information or could connect me to someone who knows this process please help
I am not a lawyer but based on your post, your work permit is not revoked yet as you still have a court hearing and you have not yet been convicted.

I would highly recommend that you hire a good lawyer for the DUI and based on the court result, consult an immigration lawyer as to how it would affect your legal status in Canada.

My piece of advice to you is not to jeopardize your future and base your decisions on "I have heard". Get actual facts from the people who know.

Good luck!

Cheers

jeremied

Dec 5, 2014
I am just trying to reach out to someone who has been deported because of a similar situation and I just want to know the process.

innco

Jul 7, 2015
Hello Gates,

I am on a student visa currently in Toronto and was charged with DUI recently. Would you please share your email id and other details of your friends case and the lawyer? Any info would be of great help. thanks!

Mar 21, 2015
jeremied said:

Jeremied, If I was you I would listen carefully to what I have to say. There is no such thing as leaving on good terms with a criminal conviction. If you leave after pleading guilty and without fighting or getting alternate program you are pretty much closing gates for yourself for a long time for returning back to Canada. If you are not American, then pretty much consider getting in there as a problem too.

I know how unfortunate this is but if you have no previous convictions and it was one off mistake, there is a very very good chance you can get into a community service or alternate plan and get a conditional discharge of sorts. I would contact a very good lawyer right away. Even if you have to borrow money or take loan, it would be worth it. You can pay a flat fee of anywhere between $1500-5000 for the lawyer to handle your case.

Your work permit is not revoked if you havent been convicted yet. You have been Charged with something and you are planning on pleading guilty. The judge/court doesnt give a shit about your immigration status because they are not fully aware of it so its your job to get that into the prosecutors head and get your voice/situation heard and the best way to do that is getting a lawyer.

You still have legal status here. If you get convicted (pleady guilty) without fighting back or getting a good result then you are pretty giving up on everything. Hire a very good lawyer, do some alternate programs and get a conditional discharge or stay of proceedings.

Sattt

Nov 29, 2022
Hello’ even I have been charged for DUI. I'm on pgwp. What Happend to you? Did you fight? Or just left Canada?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello’ even I have been charged for DUI. I'm on pgwp. What Happend to you? Did you fight? Or just left Canada?
The answers in this thread will be largely irrelevant to your situation since they pre-date 2018. Canada changed its perspective on DUI convictions in 2018. Before 2018, getting a DUI in Canada did not make you deportable. Since 2018, it now does. If you are going to look through historical threads, then you need to be looking at those dated 2018 or later.

The short answer to your sitatuion is that if you are in fact formally charged with a DUI, this is now a big problem for your status in Canada. If you want to remain in Canada, you need to hire a very good criminal lawyer and get the charges either dropped completely or reduced to a non-DUI offence.

Reactions: Taran D

Nick_01

Dec 16, 2022
I have a DUI from early 2018 and falls under the old laws. I have been recently convicted and given 1000$ file summary conviction, no probation. I am on my PGWP. I am not sure if I would be subject to deportation but I am still looking and would work with a lawyer.

I know one of my friend was charged with a DUI after 2018 and he was reached out by a CBSA agent 2 weeks after this charges. However, I havent been reached out by any CBSA agent yet, hoping that I dont. Best of luck to you guys as well as me.

Sattt

Nov 29, 2022
I have a DUI from early 2018 and falls under the old laws. I have been recently convicted and given 1000$ file summary conviction, no probation. I am on my PGWP. I am not sure if I would be subject to deportation but I am still looking and would work with a lawyer.

I know one of my friend was charged with a DUI after 2018 and he was reached out by a CBSA agent 2 weeks after this charges. However, I havent been reached out by any CBSA agent yet, hoping that I dont. Best of luck to you guys as well as me.
Hello nick. Even I have been charged recently. I have retained a lawyer. But I have concerns needs to be discussed with you brother. Could you please msg me back if you are interested. My Facebook profile is (Satyakanth sat.)