+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

DUI CHARGE AND WORK VISA ADVICE PLEASE!!

annalise

May 23, 2009
Hi I have just applied for my working visa to canada for this winter. I have a drink driving offence. Will this affect my chances of getting the visa?I have been honest and detailed what happened i am also trying to get the court notes and possibly a letter from my solicitor to enable me. What are my chances? Also how long can enter canada on a holiday visa?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

annalise said:
Hi I have just applied for my working visa to canada for this winter. I have a drink driving offence. Will this affect my chances of getting the visa?I have been honest and detailed what happened i am also trying to get the court notes and possibly a letter from my solicitor to enable me. What are my chances? Also how long can enter canada on a holiday visa?
Close to nil until you are eligible for rehabilitation 5 years after the completion of the sentence. With the conviction you are inadmissible to Canada as a visitor as well. http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/buffalo/imm/inadmissible-interdiction.aspx?lang=eng&menu_id=63&menu=L

PMM

meldriv

May 6, 2012
@PMM

Please advise regarding the situation below:
My friend is presently in Canada. Has been here for 3 years, just received his new work permit (extension) valid until dec 2014. He was also just recently issued a TRV valid for 2 years. Last month (december) he was caught and charged with DUI. Yesterday he attended court and plead guilty which will now show up as criminal record. the judge ordered him to pay a fine with a deadline of aug 2013 and 1 year driving suspension or 3 months w/interlock program. Long story short, after 3 years going on 4 of not being able to go back home to see his family, he is wondering whether he would have issues coming back into Canada if he leaves for a vacation for a month? any suggestions/assistance will help.

meldriv

May 6, 2012
PMM said:
Hi

Close to nil until you are eligible for rehabilitation 5 years after the completion of the sentence. With the conviction you are inadmissible to Canada as a visitor as well. http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/buffalo/imm/inadmissible-interdiction.aspx?lang=eng&menu_id=63&menu=L

PMM
@ PMM

My friend is presently in Canada. Has been here for 3 years, just received his new work permit (extension) valid until dec 2014. He was also just recently issued a TRV valid for 2 years. Last month (december) he was caught and charged with DUI. Yesterday he attended court and plead guilty which will now show up as criminal record. the judge ordered him to pay a fine with a deadline of aug 2013 and 1 year driving suspension or 3 months w/interlock program. Long story short, after 3 years going on 4 of not being able to go back home to see his family, he is wondering whether he would have issues coming back into Canada if he leaves for a vacation for a month? any suggestions/assistance will help.

just_do_it

Nov 20, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
meldriv said:
@ PMM

By your friend, you mean its actually you? HAHa, oldest trick in the internet forums book. Just kidding.

I dont think a DUI charge will affect your ability to enter the country (or he would have been deported). Having said that, if the permit application was in process when you got DUI, then im not sure.

It will probably affect your chances of getting another extension and/or PR in the future.

I would check with CIC/lawyer before you leave the country.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
He's inadmissible to Canada for five years from the time he completes his sentence. If CIC figures this out when he tries to re-enter Canada, he will be refused entry.