+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Duel Citizen in Ireland/UK IEC Visa on Irish passport?

andrewn

Apr 1, 2017
I'm currently applying for and entitled to my Irish passport as such i'll be duel Irish and British, with IEC for Ireland its up to 35 the UK is 30 i did get a 12 month Visa on my UK passport in 2014 but only a 12 month not a new 24 month visa so im wondering if anyone else has applied and been sucessful in getting a visa with another passport from another country where they are ineligible in one country has anyone been unsuccessful and what were the circumstances?

Cheers

TheAwesomeMatt

Star Member
Jun 26, 2013
Victoria, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-02-2013
AOR Received.
08-21-2013
Med's Request
02-18-2014
Med's Done....
03-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
03-21-2014
LANDED..........
04-06-2014
Note: As an Irish citizen, you may participate in the Working Holiday category only once. If you meet the eligibility criteria, you may participate in IEC one more time through the International Co-op (Internship) category.

If you participated in IEC before 2013 for a period of up to 12 months, you are eligible for a second participation of up to 24 months in the category of your choice. Those who participated in IEC more than once before 2013 are no longer eligible to apply.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
TheAwesomeMatt said:
Note: As an Irish citizen, you may participate in the Working Holiday category only once. If you meet the eligibility criteria, you may participate in IEC one more time through the International Co-op (Internship) category.

If you participated in IEC before 2013 for a period of up to 12 months, you are eligible for a second participation of up to 24 months in the category of your choice. Those who participated in IEC more than once before 2013 are no longer eligible to apply.
As I read it The OP participated in the UK program once and is now too old for a second UK participation which increased to 24 months in the 2015 UK program hence the question about the Irish program.

I am not an expert but do not see why the OP cannot apply using the Irish passport given the OP has not participated in the Irish program, only the UK. As long as the OP answers any participation and dual citizenship questions honestly there is nothing to lose in applying given up to the point get invited it is free.

andrewn

Apr 1, 2017
Update One: So an update here for anyone else in a similar situation.

I found this

If I’m a dual citizen, can I have an International Experience Canada work permit under each citizenship?
Yes. For example, you can get a work permit once as a citizen of the United Kingdom and a second time as an Irish citizen

To do this, you need to:
  • have a valid passport issued by the country you're applying under,
  • meet all of the eligibility criteria for this country, and
  • provide a letter of explanation in your work permit application that says
    • you are a dual citizen
    • your other work permit is under your other country of citizenship.

andrewn

Apr 1, 2017
Update Two: Further update with my current situation

I applied for and received my irish passport, and was invited to apply for my IEC visa, i have since applied for my visa filling out all the info need and I'm currently waiting to hear back from CIC

andrewn

Apr 1, 2017
Update Three: After getting my Irish Passport, Successfully and being accepted to apply for an IEC visa i have now been APPROVED for an IEC Visa via my Irish passport. this is after having participated in the UK program!

aidanwalsh57

Jun 11, 2019
Hey Andrew, I'm currently going through a similar situation and would appreciate some help! I too have both UK and Irish passports, (Irish through descent), and have already had the IEC visa with UK passport - received port of entry, did not use. I will be applying with my Irish passport soon. Did you have to get police checks with your Irish passport for the UK? I lived in Australia for two years on my UK passport and im wondering if i need the police checks with my Irish passport or UK. im so confused. I really hope you're still active as i cannot find answers anywhere. Thank you! note: i have not yet travelled on my irish passport so im not sure if UK or Aus will have any records for me on that passport.

aidanwalsh57

Jun 11, 2019
I get that but I'm using my Irish passport for this visa. Getting a police check under my UK passport won't match up with my Irish passport number ect