+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Due date right before citizenship test.

isilrion

May 25, 2012
I just received the test invite for the first week of march. I applied jointly with my partner at the beginning of October.
She's pregnant, and the test date is just a few days after her due date. We can't predict when the baby is going to be born... if he is born shortly before the test date, he will be too young for a babysitter (we are not comfortable leaving a days or weeks old baby alone with friends, not to mention, that is quite a lot to ask, and the mother may be still recovering from labour).

We were planning on asking CIC to reschedule her test. I think that may be better than wait and see if she can make it or not and skip the test at the last moment. Before calling tomorrow, I thought I could collect opinions from you.

* Do you think "due date near test date" is sufficient reason to postpone the test? (I would assume "going into labour the day of the test" is a good reason, but "due date near" may not be. I read somewhere in this forum that "not arranging childcare" is not a good excuse, this is awfully close to that)
* Is it possible to postpone hers, but not mine? (that way, I can take care of the baby when its her turn to write the test)
* Do I need to provide supporting information? (some kind of doctor's note?)
* Is it really better to call them to postpone her test? (as opposed just wait and see, and go alone if she can't make it)
* Should I call right away, or give it a couple of weeks? (Still, I don't think I’d feel comfortable leaving the child with friends, even if he is born today).
* Is there anything else I should ask the agent?

Thanks!

chikloo

Feb 6, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
isilrion said:
I just received the test invite for the first week of march. I applied jointly with my partner at the beginning of October.
She's pregnant, and the test date is just a few days after her due date. We can't predict when the baby is going to be born... if he is born shortly before the test date, he will be too young for a babysitter (we are not comfortable leaving a days or weeks old baby alone with friends, not to mention, that is quite a lot to ask, and the mother may be still recovering from labour).

We were planning on asking CIC to reschedule her test. I think that may be better than wait and see if she can make it or not and skip the test at the last moment. Before calling tomorrow, I thought I could collect opinions from you.

* Do you think "due date near test date" is sufficient reason to postpone the test? (I would assume "going into labour the day of the test" is a good reason, but "due date near" may not be. I read somewhere in this forum that "not arranging childcare" is not a good excuse, this is awfully close to that)
* Is it possible to postpone hers, but not mine? (that way, I can take care of the baby when its her turn to write the test)
* Do I need to provide supporting information? (some kind of doctor's note?)
* Is it really better to call them to postpone her test? (as opposed just wait and see, and go alone if she can't make it)
* Should I call right away, or give it a couple of weeks? (Still, I don't think I'd feel comfortable leaving the child with friends, even if he is born today).
* Is there anything else I should ask the agent?

Thanks!
It is a valid reason. Please call canter to reschedule. If possible visit your local office with a doctors letter and see if they will reschedule it right away.

eileenf

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If it's a first pregnancy/baby, there are no health complications or indications of early labour and your wife feels good about the test (i.e. it won't stress her out too much, she's comfortable in English/French, etc.) than I recommend that she try to take the test now rather than reschedule for later. Most first pregnancy go beyond the due date (8 days past is average if no induction, etc).

If she goes into labour last minute and has to miss the test, she has an iron-clad excuse. There is no chance that the CIC will turn it down.

If she can take the test before the arrival of a newborn, it'll be easier in the long run.

There is no advantage to rescheduling unless the test is too distracting given the other pressing changes and challenges.

isilrion

May 25, 2012
Thank you both for taking the time to reply. We just got a letter from the doctor, and I'm sure if she does go into labour, we can get more formal documentation. I will try to visit the Scarborough office and ask about it in person, doctor's note in hand (I couldn't reach the call centre). The ideal scenario is not to change the test unless she goes into labour before or during the test, so I'll try to insist on that option. It will also be a good opportunity to ask if I'm allowed to postpone the test if she is in labour that day, so I can care for her at the hospital and, well, meet my baby.

Thanks again, I'll try to head there early next week, show them the letter, and see what they say about it.

eduvit

Jan 4, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
isilrion said:
Thank you both for taking the time to reply. We just got a letter from the doctor, and I'm sure if she does go into labour, we can get more formal documentation. I will try to visit the Scarborough office and ask about it in person, doctor's note in hand (I couldn't reach the call centre). The ideal scenario is not to change the test unless she goes into labour before or during the test, so I'll try to insist on that option. It will also be a good opportunity to ask if I'm allowed to postpone the test if she is in labour that day, so I can care for her at the hospital and, well, meet my baby.

Thanks again, I'll try to head there early next week, show them the letter, and see what they say about it.
If I was you I also stick with the option that not change the test date. I belive you have a good reason for delaying the test if she goes into labour on that day. It is a good idea to inform them the situation beforehand. Please make sure you guys don't stress out about that. Everything will be fine.
Good luck for your baby and your test.

chikloo

Feb 6, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
isilrion said:

Hi,

All the best. Hope everything works out for you. (Just my opinion)For me having a baby is a larger life event than getting citizenship. Also you and your wife can concentrate more on the little one coming out. You going to be busy before and after. If you have one more thing like citizenship test on your mind then it will be tasking. As far as test is concern CIC will be accommodating for valid reasons.

If you are uncertain and unprepared for the test it will make it even difficult.

isilrion

May 25, 2012
chikloo said:
It is a valid reason. Please call canter to reschedule. If possible visit your local office with a doctors letter and see if they will reschedule it right away.
An update in case someone else finds this thread in the future. My wife was unable to attend the test (she was discharged from the hospital the day before the test). Some friends offered to come and take care of her, so I went to the test with the documents from the hospital. I told the interviewer why she couldn't attend, she was very understanding and and kept a copy of the discharge document. She told me she would get another test invite in around 4 to 6 weeks.

One week later, we received her new test invite. Yay. I guess it was a good thing that I could speak with the officer and offer her the documents in person, rather than by mail. (The call centre had advised me to mail them, and I was about to mail them when we got the new invite). I expect we'll have our oaths together, if everything goes ok.

Juney

Star Member
Dec 6, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
isilrion said:
An update in case someone else finds this thread in the future. My wife was unable to attend the test (she was discharged from the hospital the day before the test). Some friends offered to come and take care of her, so I went to the test with the documents from the hospital. I told the interviewer why she couldn't attend, she was very understanding and and kept a copy of the discharge document. She told me she would get another test invite in around 4 to 6 weeks.

One week later, we received her new test invite. Yay. I guess it was a good thing that I could speak with the officer and offer her the documents in person, rather than by mail. (The call centre had advised me to mail them, and I was about to mail them when we got the new invite). I expect we'll have our oaths together, if everything goes ok.
Good to know. Best wishes to you.