Dubai to Canada Landing Friends Circle (How?When?Where)-[Connect & Assist]

ssinghdxb

Star Member
Jan 18, 2012
Dubai - UAE
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
:)Hi all,

First of all sincere thanks to Captain Qorax, Mr Biju and other seniors who has helped us all in need. I have been a rather less active member here just reading posts regularly from last 2+ years and can say for sure they are doing a tremendous help for the community of people like us.

I would request all (who have received the passports with VISA or waiting for the same) to come, share information and tentative plan so as we can assist each other in a new country to realise our dreams.

We all probably realise the challenges ahead and any kind or amount of assistance would be of great appreciation for us.

Some are

- Landing - Items to carrry, PR Card, SIN Card
- Accommodation ( we do not have anyone in Canada)
- Bank Account
- Credential evaluation
- Job search
- Driving Lic - Canada
- School
- Medical Insurance (travel and at Canada), if Ontario first 3 months before we get OHIP
- Fund transfer
etc
etc

So kindly connect here.

We are a family of three (Me, my wife and son) waiting for passport with visa. Currently at Dubai. Planning to attend CIIP after getting VISA/COPR. Wish to land at Toronto and stay at Mississauga or Etobicoke. Has done small bit of search but would be oblige if we all can connect and share information so as we all can benefited.

One of the best source of information is http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/a-master-thread-of-some-of-my-posts-here-t40175.0.html - thanks to Captain Qorax.

Look forward to hear from all....

Regards

coolguy2010

VIP Member
Jun 28, 2010
UAE
Category........
Visa Office......
London to Paris
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-05-2010
Doc's Request.
23-10-2010
Nomination.....
09-06-2011
AOR Received.
09-06-2011
IELTS Request
6 Band
File Transfer...
01-03-2013
Med's Request
01-03-2013
Med's Done....
30-03-2013
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
20-05-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-05-2013
LANDED..........
06-08-2013
Re: Dubai to Canada Friends Circle (How?When?Where)-[Connect and Assist Each Other]

Hi ssinghdxb,

Nice to see Dubai thread but already we have Dubai thread. It will be confusing to refer to which thread....

ssinghdxb said:
:)Hi all,

First of all sincere thanks to Captain Qorax, Mr Biju and other seniors who has helped us all in need. I have been a rather less active member here just reading posts regularly from last 2+ years and can say for sure they are doing a tremendous help for the community of people like us.

I would request all (who have received the passports with VISA or waiting for the same) to come, share information and tentative plan so as we can assist each other in a new country to realise our dreams.

We all probably realise the challenges ahead and any kind or amount of assistance would be of great appreciation for us.

Some are

- Landing - Items to carrry, PR Card, SIN Card
- Accommodation ( we do not have anyone in Canada)
- Bank Account
- Credential evaluation
- Job search
- Driving Lic - Canada
- School
- Medical Insurance (travel and at Canada), if Ontario first 3 months before we get OHIP
- Fund transfer
etc
etc

So kindly connect here.

We are a family of three (Me, my wife and son) waiting for passport with visa. Currently at Dubai. Planning to attend CIIP after getting VISA/COPR. Wish to land at Toronto and stay at Mississauga or Etobicoke. Has done small bit of search but would be oblige if we all can connect and share information so as we all can benefited.

One of the best source of information is http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/a-master-thread-of-some-of-my-posts-here-t40175.0.html - thanks to Captain Qorax.

Look forward to hear from all....

Regards

ssinghdxb

Star Member
Jan 18, 2012
Dubai - UAE
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Re: Dubai to Canada Friends Circle (How?When?Where)-[Connect and Assist Each Other]

coolguy2010 said:
Hi ssinghdxb,

Nice to see Dubai thread but already we have Dubai thread. It will be confusing to refer to which thread....
Probably you are correct, but I intended to connect with who all are ready to move now

Regards

coolguy2010

VIP Member
Jun 28, 2010
UAE
Category........
Visa Office......
London to Paris
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-05-2010
Doc's Request.
23-10-2010
Nomination.....
09-06-2011
AOR Received.
09-06-2011
IELTS Request
6 Band
File Transfer...
01-03-2013
Med's Request
01-03-2013
Med's Done....
30-03-2013
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
20-05-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-05-2013
LANDED..........
06-08-2013

Hi ssingh,

I got your point. You need to create a thread " Dubai to Canada Landing " some type of heading which will attract only who are ready to move.

Please share your case timeline/details.

ssinghdxb said:
Probably you are correct, but I intended to connect with who all are ready to move now

Regards

ssinghdxb

Star Member
Jan 18, 2012
Dubai - UAE
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

coolguy2010 said:
Hi ssingh,

I got your point. You need to create a thread " Dubai to Canada Landing " some type of heading which will attract only who are ready to move.

Please share your case timeline/details.
Thanks for advise changed the topic.

Time Line

App: 29-12-2009
1st AOR - 07-02-2010
2nd AOR - 06-07-2010
In Porcess - 1 Feb 2011
Actual In Process - 1 Feb 2012
Medicals - MR - 06-02-2012 done 05-03-2012
PPR - 20-04-2012, sent 28-04-2012, recvd at LVO 29-04-2012
DM - 21-05-2012
COPR VISA - Waiting

Thanks

friedbrains

Apr 6, 2012

ok, here goes some tidbits stuff that i have learned... i have been "living" in vancouver, for the last 3 years every time my vacation is up here in Dubai/Abu Dhabi...

• learn the canadian coins- what is a penny (the penny is going to be discontinued, BTW), dime, quarter, loonie and toonie
  • learn to ride the public transport, it is the best way to get around, Vancouver's public transport is great! Never cheat on the fares, if you get caught, in Vancouver I think it is a CAD200 fine!
  • there are many civic organizations or religious organizations that specialized in helping immigrants, not to mention those from the government, get in touch with them and it is not wrong to ask for help
  • driving is a bit different in Vancouver, that "left-turn, when it is clear" is a bit tricky and is very different here in Dubai/Abu Dhabi
  • learn to segregate trash, Canadians are very serious about this!
  • open a bank account check this-> http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/-t34013.0.html
  • get a Letter of Authentication that you drive and get an international driving license, check this thread-> http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/-t50811.0.html
  • convert your AED to CAD, i heard you can bring as many CAD$ as you want, just as long as you declare it all, the best rate i have seen is from Al Fardan
  • what ever you bring into Canada, just declare them ALL correctly and honestly, you will not be charged of any custom's duties, but you can be in serious trouble if you miss-declare any
  • if Sun and Sand Sport is on sale, i.e. Columbia and North Face, might as well buy em if it is 50% off or more, the only time these are cheaper in Canada is on Boxing Day, 26-December and you need to be early to get the good ones!
  • the most important thing to remember during fall and winter is simply bundle-up, you can always remove em if you feel too hot
  • lear to say "double-double" when ordering at Timmy's, it means double sugar and double milk/creamer
  • learn to greet strangers that you meet on the streets or bus, etc., the polite way is a Canadian way! One of the best thing that I like in Canada
  • heck! if you survived Dubai/Abu Dhabi, you can make it in Canada!

i will try to add some more...

coolguy2010

VIP Member
Jun 28, 2010
UAE
Category........
Visa Office......
London to Paris
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-05-2010
Doc's Request.
23-10-2010
Nomination.....
09-06-2011
AOR Received.
09-06-2011
IELTS Request
6 Band
File Transfer...
01-03-2013
Med's Request
01-03-2013
Med's Done....
30-03-2013
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
20-05-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-05-2013
LANDED..........
06-08-2013

Thanks for giving tips....this will really help us...

friedbrains said:
ok, here goes some tidbits stuff that i have learned... i have been "living" in vancouver, for the last 3 years every time my vacation is up here in Dubai/Abu Dhabi...

• learn the canadian coins- what is a penny (the penny is going to be discontinued, BTW), dime, quarter, loonie and toonie
  • learn to ride the public transport, it is the best way to get around, Vancouver's public transport is great!
  • there are many civic organizations or religious organizations that specialized in helping immigrants, not to mention those from the government, get in touch with them
  • driving is a bit different in Vancouver, that "left-turn, when it is clear" is a bit tricky and is very different here in Dubai/Abu Dhabi
  • open a bank account check this-> http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/-t34013.0.html
  • get a Letter of Authentication that you drive and get an international driving license, check this thread-> http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/-t50811.0.html
  • convert your AED to CAD, i heard you can bring as many CAD$ as you want, just as long as you declare it all
  • what ever you bring into Canada, just declare them ALL correctly and honestly, you will not be charged of any custom's duty, but you can be in serious trouble if you miss-declare any
  • if Sun and Sand Sport is on sale, i.e. Columbia and North Face, might as well buy em if it is 60% off or more, the only time these are cheaper in Canada is on Boxing Day, 26-December and you need to be early to get the good ones!
  • the most import thing to remember during fall and winter is simply bundle-up, you can always remove em if you feel too hot
  • lear to say "double-double" when ordering at Timmy's
  • learn to greet people that you don't know if you meet em on the streets or bus, the polite way is a Canadian way! One of the best thing that I like in Canada

coolguy2010

VIP Member
Jun 28, 2010
UAE
Category........
Visa Office......
London to Paris
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-05-2010
Doc's Request.
23-10-2010
Nomination.....
09-06-2011
AOR Received.
09-06-2011
IELTS Request
6 Band
File Transfer...
01-03-2013
Med's Request
01-03-2013
Med's Done....
30-03-2013
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
20-05-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-05-2013
LANDED..........
06-08-2013

Your NOC please....

ssinghdxb said:
Thanks for advise changed the topic.

Time Line

App: 29-12-2009
1st AOR - 07-02-2010
2nd AOR - 06-07-2010
In Porcess - 1 Feb 2011
Actual In Process - 1 Feb 2012
Medicals - MR - 06-02-2012 done 05-03-2012
PPR - 20-04-2012, sent 28-04-2012, recvd at LVO 29-04-2012
DM - 21-05-2012
COPR VISA - Waiting

Thanks

jao220

Mar 7, 2012

friedbrains said:

• learn to ride the public transport, it is the best way to get around, Vancouver's public transport is great! Never cheat on the fares, if you get caught, in Vancouver I think it is a CAD200 fine!
  • there are many civic organizations or religious organizations that specialized in helping immigrants, not to mention those from the government, get in touch with them and it is not wrong to ask for help
  • convert your AED to CAD, i heard you can bring as many CAD$ as you want, just as long as you declare it all, the best rate i have seen is from Al Fardan
  • what ever you bring into Canada, just declare them ALL correctly and honestly, you will not be charged of any custom's duties, but you can be in serious trouble if you miss-declare any
  • if Sun and Sand Sport is on sale, i.e. Columbia and North Face, might as well buy em if it is 50% off or more, the only time these are cheaper in Canada is on Boxing Day, 26-December and you need to be early to get the good ones!
  • the most import thing to remember during fall and winter is simply bundle-up, you can always remove em if you feel too hot
  • lear to say "double-double" when ordering at Timmy's, it means double sugar and double milk/creamer
  • learn to greet strangers that you meet on the streets or bus, etc., the polite way is a Canadian way! One of the best thing that I like in Canada

This is a good tip for everybody!!!!!Tnx Bro

friedbrains

Apr 6, 2012
ok, let me add some more...

• ATM, the cheapest fare to Canada from UAE is Qatar Airways, however, BA and KLM are very competitive... I like KLM, although there is like a 4 to 6 hrs of waiting in Schiphol Airport, but there is a nice lounge where you can stretch... of course those who are going to Toronto are lucky that there is direct flight by Etihad from AUH
  • a good mittens or winter gloves are a must!
  • some snow shoes are really heavy and big, buy them in Canada and wait for the sales, no point buying em here
  • i have yet to taste a good swarma in Vancouver and Edmonton, enjoy them while you are still here! ;D
  • YES! you can bring Arabic Sweets, just declare them and don't buy from carrefour, buy those special ones!
  • don't bother with any electronics that only operates in 220VAC, remember that US/Canada is 110VAC
  • if you still have dual-band gsm phones, don't bother bringing that to Canada, it won't work!
  • YES! iPhone is cheaper there, but with a contract, hence when you sum it up, it might not really be that cheap... :(
  • if you are under medication, get at least 2 months worth of meds from here, you absolutely can not buy prescription medicines there without a doctor's prescription, even creams like "Betnovate" is prescription only in Canada
  • YES! there is Hells-Angels and marijuana in Vancouver/BC, but it is the best place on earth... well, if it is not raining that is... 8) :eek:

st2010

Oct 26, 2011
UAE
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Mar-2010
Doc's Request.
April-2010
AOR Received.
June-2010
IELTS Request
submitted along Documents
File Transfer...
April 2010 - Inprocess Since Mar-2012
Med's Request
waiting
LANDED..........
wow
Thanks...

good information...

friedbrains said:

• ATM, the cheapest fare to Canada from UAE is Qatar Airways, however, BA and KLM are very competitive... I like KLM, although there is like a 4 to 6 hrs of waiting in Schiphol Airport, but there is a nice lounge where you can stretch... of course those who are going to Toronto are lucky that there is direct flight by Etihad from AUH
  • some snow shoes are really heavy and big, buy them in Canada and wait for the sales, no point buying em here
  • i have yet to taste a good swarma in Vancouver and Edmonton, enjoy them while you are still here! ;D
  • YES! you can bring Arabic Sweets, just declare them and don't buy from carrefour, buy those special ones!
  • don't bother with any electronics that only operates in 220VAC, remember that US/Canada is 110VAC
  • if you still have dual-band gsm phones, don't bother bringing that to Canada, it won't work!
  • YES! iPhone is cheaper there, but with a contract, hence when you sum it up, it might not really be that cheap... :(
  • if you are under medication, get at least 2 months worth of meds from here, you absolutely can not buy prescription medicines there without a doctor's prescription, even creams like "Betnovate" is prescription only in Canada
  • YES! there is Hells-Angels and marijuana in Vancouver/BC, but it is the best place on earth... well, if it is not raining that is... 8) :eek:

art2012

Mar 1, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
london
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

Hi singhdxb,

Thanks for starting this thread, here we can discuss several things b4 landing,hopefuly after landing as well

1.I wish to kw abt CARGO services from dubai to canada.
I hv certain options and i wish to discuss b4 i decide one.

2.Reg CIIP, hw did u register? wht r the charges?

Art.

art2012

Mar 1, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
london
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

friedbrains said:

• the most important thing to remember during fall and winter is simply bundle-up, you can always remove em if you feel too hot

Good post and quite informative.

art2012

Mar 1, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
london
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
friedbrains said:

Grt job again.

Ahh, shawarma! ,i know i will b missing soon,i hv tasted best ones here in uae and trust me these days our visits to arabic outlets and restaurants had increased.

auditor

Mar 30, 2010
Qatar
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-01-2010
Doc's Request.
12-03-2010
AOR Received.
12-03-2010
File Transfer...
17-03-2010
Med's Request
23-02-2012
Med's Done....
15-03-2012
Passport Req..
23-04-2012
LANDED..........
03-08-2012
Hi Singh,

Thanks for informative thread. Would be very usefull. Though I am not in Dubai I am in Qatar.

Good Luck
Auditor