+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Dual PRs and maintaining a balance.

Feb 19, 2024
Hi. I have a Green card and Canadian PR cards. I am living in Canada taking care of my sick child, not working at the moment. Difficult for me to leave her to go reside permanently for now. Tried going to the US for few days but have to rush back because of my child's sickness. Appreciate your swift response on what I can do.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi. I have a Green card and Canadian PR cards. I am living in Canada taking care of my sick child, not working at the moment. Difficult for me to leave her to go reside permanently for now. Tried going to the US for few days but have to rush back because of my child's sickness. Appreciate your swift response on what I can do.
Confused. You say you are living in Canada and cannot go reside permanently. What is question about Canadian immigration, not US?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Sorry for the confusion. I live in Canada, I have a Canadian PR status and also have a US Green card. What can I do to keep the 2 residences and what do I tell the officials at the border why I am not residing in the US since my child is sick in Canada. I there any waiver on medical grounds? Thanks.
Ask about US immigration questions (residency/waivers) on a US forum. As for Canada, you are living in Canada so maintaining residency requirements, it seems.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
The US requires you to be primarily living in he US to retain your green card. Staying a few days in the US at a time won't achieve this. Post your questions to a US immigration forum but most likely you would have to move to the US if you want to try to keep your green card.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If your child is sick you likely need to commit to one country since the ability to qualify for healthcare is tied to residency and/or work in both countries. If you are receiving any form of payment from Canada that will also be impacted if you move to the US. It’s unclear how you are supporting your family financially. You will have to inform Cara’s if you move to Canada for them to determine if you qualify for CCB anymore for example. If your child is not living with you then you do not meet one of the requirements to qualify for CCB. If you want to retain your green card you are going to have to move to the US. It is almost impossible to meet residency requirements for both green card and PR in Canada.

Last edited: