+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Dual Intent

canakdo

Apr 21, 2017
Hello everyone,

I just would like to ask how to get over the dual intent problem in the visa application for a study permit. I have a friend who is a dentist and her Express Entry application denied. After she wanted to come to find a school to study and applied for the tourist visa. That was also denied. We asked for the visa officer's note and here is the reason for denial:

"PA APPLIED CUS AS HAVE 10 YEARS US VISA VALID UNTIL 2021. I NOTED THAT WENT IN USA AS VISITOR IN 2016. WIFE GIVE BIRTH TO CHILD IN NOV 2016. SHE PROVIDED COPY OF SON'S PPT. NOW WANT TO GO TO CANADA AS TOURIST. I NOTED THAT APPLIED FOR EXPRESS ENTRY VERY RECENTLY WITH WIFE BEING THE MAIN CANDIDATE WITH OCCUPATION AS DENTIST BUT SHE FAILED TO BE AN ELIGIBLE CANDIDATE. SHE HAS NOT MENTIONED ANYTHING ABOUT MAKING AN APPLICATION FOR EE. I AM NOT SATISFIED BASED ON FACTORS SUCH AS FAMILY TIES, RELEVANT TRAVEL HISTORY, FINANCIAL ESTABLISHMENT, THE APPLICANT WILL BE A GENUINE TEMPORARY RESIDENT WHO WILL DEPART CANADA AT THE END OF AUTHORIZED PERIOD OF STAY. REFUSED"

She wants to eventually stay in Canada, after her study if she likes living here, but only by using her legal rights and doesn't have any intention to stay longer than her authorized period.

What is the best that she can do to convince the visa officer?

Thank you for all suggestions and advice.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello everyone,

I just would like to ask how to get over the dual intent problem in the visa application for a study permit. I have a friend who is a dentist and her Express Entry application denied. After she wanted to come to find a school to study and applied for the tourist visa. That was also denied. We asked for the visa officer's note and here is the reason for denial:

"PA APPLIED CUS AS HAVE 10 YEARS US VISA VALID UNTIL 2021. I NOTED THAT WENT IN USA AS VISITOR IN 2016. WIFE GIVE BIRTH TO CHILD IN NOV 2016. SHE PROVIDED COPY OF SON'S PPT. NOW WANT TO GO TO CANADA AS TOURIST. I NOTED THAT APPLIED FOR EXPRESS ENTRY VERY RECENTLY WITH WIFE BEING THE MAIN CANDIDATE WITH OCCUPATION AS DENTIST BUT SHE FAILED TO BE AN ELIGIBLE CANDIDATE. SHE HAS NOT MENTIONED ANYTHING ABOUT MAKING AN APPLICATION FOR EE. I AM NOT SATISFIED BASED ON FACTORS SUCH AS FAMILY TIES, RELEVANT TRAVEL HISTORY, FINANCIAL ESTABLISHMENT, THE APPLICANT WILL BE A GENUINE TEMPORARY RESIDENT WHO WILL DEPART CANADA AT THE END OF AUTHORIZED PERIOD OF STAY. REFUSED"

She wants to eventually stay in Canada, after her study if she likes living here, but only by using her legal rights and doesn't have any intention to stay longer than her authorized period.

What is the best that she can do to convince the visa officer?

Thank you for all suggestions and advice.
She should not apply for TRV and apply for a study permit instead.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Can you please give more details as to how she has to prepare and what she has to say to convince the officer? Thanks.
If she is trying to study her best option would be to apply from her home country. One of the major components of a study permit application is to prove strong ties to your home country and to show that you will return after your studies (even though they realize the majority will not). Applying from Canada will make her application weaker.

canakdo

Apr 21, 2017
If she is trying to study her best option would be to apply from her home country. One of the major components of a study permit application is to prove strong ties to your home country and to show that you will return after your studies (even though they realize the majority will not). Applying from Canada will make her application weaker.
Thank you for the information. What about her previous applications? Are they going to be a negative effect on the officer decision? Any suggestion on how to make her application look genuine even though her previous refusals? Thanks again.