+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

"DUAL INTENT"

Meggy

Feb 11, 2010
Hi,

Is anyone familiar with the term "dual intent" when applying for a student visa? As far as I understand, one can apply for a student visa and also disclose their intent to seek permanent residency after completing their studies. I found the information on the official site for immigration to Canada. However, what confuses me is why if you disclose your dual intent, you will still have to be able to convince the immigration services that you will go back to your home country after completing your studies. It kind of contradicts the fact that you will be seeking residency and it just doesn't make much sense to me.

If anyone is familiar with this kind of application, can you please let me know if I understand the requirements right and share your experience.

Thank you so much!
Meggy

frolic

Jul 21, 2008
Dual intent means that you have a Permanent Visa application in process...and you are allowed to apply for a Temporary Visa while that one is in process.

If you do not already have a PR application in process then it would not apply to you. You would just be applying for a Student Visa by itself.

What happens later on would be a new application for PR. If you linked the page it was from I would read it too.

Oct 17, 2021
Philippines
Category........
STUDY
you will still have to be able to convince the immigration services that you will go back to your home country after completing your studies. It kind of contradicts the fact that you will be seeking residency and it just doesn't make much sense to me.
The main point here is that you will not stay in Canada ILLEGALLY. So as long as your intention to stay is within the legal limits, such as obtaining PR, then you are good.