+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Dual Intent | Work permit and PR (Please advise!)

aniruddhabhatt

Star Member
Aug 1, 2017
Hello awesome people,

I am on a student visa (Jan'18 - March '19), and my course ends on Dec 14. As I'll continue working here, I'll need to apply for a work visa/permit (for 1 year) asap after Dec 14.

Also, I'll have 455 CRS points after the course ends. So I stand a fair chance for express entry there. What's the best way to approach this? :

1. Apply for Express Entry once I receive the work permit (expected March-April 2019)
2. Apply for Express Entry at the same time as applying for work permit?

Also, has someone had any experiences with 'Dual Intent'? Because I am on a temporary (study) permit, applying for a temporary (work permit) while also thinking about permanent (Express Entry) residence.

Please advise :)

Best,
Anir

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello awesome people,

I am on a student visa (Jan'18 - March '19), and my course ends on Dec 14. As I'll continue working here, I'll need to apply for a work visa/permit (for 1 year) asap after Dec 14.

Also, I'll have 455 CRS points after the course ends. So I stand a fair chance for express entry there. What's the best way to approach this? :

1. Apply for Express Entry once I receive the work permit (expected March-April 2019)

Also, has someone had any experiences with 'Dual Intent'? Because I am on a temporary (study) permit, applying for a temporary (work permit) while also thinking about permanent (Express Entry) residence.

Best,
Anir
Hi

Dual intent is for somone entering Canada. It us not applicable to your situation. You can apply for your PGWP whenever you qualify and apply for PR whenever you qualify. The apps have nothing to do with each other.

monica25

Star Member
Jun 18, 2018
Hello awesome people,

Best,
Anir
In your case you shouldnt worry about dual intent.
if I were you I would apply for EE once work permit is granted

aniruddhabhatt

Star Member
Aug 1, 2017
@canuck_in_uk and @Monica24, Thank you for the inputs. The reason I am trying to rush for EE is to wind the process up well before Federal elections (and also apply for OHIP asap). But if it's a dealbreaker, i'll wait till I have the Work Permit.

Also, I infer I am eligible to apply under FSW since I don't have one year of Canadian experience for CEC yet. Is it a problem?

Optional : If you can guide me to a resource for reference letter format from my employers back in India to support the FSW - EE process.

Thank you again,
Anir

monica25

Star Member
Jun 18, 2018
@canuck_in_uk and @Monica24, Thank you for the inputs. The reason I am trying to rush for EE is to wind the process up well before Federal elections (and also apply for OHIP asap). But if it's a dealbreaker, i'll wait till I have the Work Permit.

Also, I infer I am eligible to apply under FSW since I don't have one year of Canadian experience for CEC yet. Is it a problem?

Optional : If you can guide me to a resource for reference letter format from my employers back in India to support the FSW - EE process.

Thank you again,
Anir
you are free to apply under the FSW stream. Many others like you do it so it is not a problem

Check out this video for reference letter:

aniruddhabhatt

Star Member
Aug 1, 2017
you are free to apply under the FSW stream. Many others like you do it so it is not a problem

Check out this video for reference letter:
Thank you again. I'll go through and try to model the reference letter accordingly :)

Last question, any specific reason for "if I were you I would apply for EE once work permit is granted" ??

Cheers,
Anir

monica25

Star Member
Jun 18, 2018
Thank you again. I'll go through and try to model the reference letter accordingly :)

Last question, any specific reason for "if I were you I would apply for EE once work permit is granted" ??

Cheers,
Anir
Not at all, that's just how I would do it
Good luck :)

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12

Cheers,
Anir
No point in waiting for your work permit first. It won't make a difference to the PR app.