+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Dual intent : Student Permit > PGWP > PR

Oct 17, 2021
Philippines
Category........
STUDY
Hi! Hoping to get your opinion on this:

My plan is clear- study a program in Canada > work under PGWP status > apply for PR. I know full well that staying illegally while waiting for PR will ruin my chance to achieve a PR status.

My question is:
The Canadian govt has programs in place to make it easier for international students to get a PR status after completing their program. However, I have been getting a lot of advice against this as it might be seen as a ground for refusal (such as planning to stay illegally). And that part confuses me... couldn’t I just tell them from the beginning that this is what I plan to do (dual intent) since transparency is what they want?

KylinZ

Star Member
May 4, 2021
Technically what you say is true but for an application to become an international student its better not to mention anything about pgwp and pr in the process because it will trigger high risk for refusal.

sb22651

Jul 15, 2021
Dual intent is perfectly fine.

But if your intent is to only use the study permit as a means of permanent immigration, then it is single intent.

Reactions: canuck78

zekkeh

Sep 15, 2019
Hi! Hoping to get your opinion on this:

My plan is clear- study a program in Canada > work under PGWP status > apply for PR. I know full well that staying illegally while waiting for PR will ruin my chance to achieve a PR status.

My question is:
The Canadian govt has programs in place to make it easier for international students to get a PR status after completing their program. However, I have been getting a lot of advice against this as it might be seen as a ground for refusal (such as planning to stay illegally). And that part confuses me... couldn’t I just tell them from the beginning that this is what I plan to do (dual intent) since transparency is what they want?
basically, what they want to hear is that you have a Plan B should your plans to stay and work in Canada falls through and you’re not completely giving everything up back in your home country to study in Canada. therefore, it’s your job to convince them that staying and working in Canada is just one of the possible outcomes of the future. who knows, they might scrap the PGWP and PR systems in future. that probably won’t happen, but you must have contingency plans in case they do.