+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Dual Intent. Selling our house, shipping our belongings.

AranChen

Mar 27, 2021
This is an old thread so don't be surprised if the original poster is no longer active here. I posted about my dual intent entry in May. I think if you search my name and dual intent it should come up. I'm happy to answer any questions, just don't have time to re-type the whole spiel. If you can't find the thread let me know on this one.
Found it. Thank you! So it sounds like you drove into Canada at a land border. Did you include furniture, dishes, kitchen stuff, artwork and soft furnishings in the list of belongings accompanying your husband when you crossed? And this didn't raise any questions?

MJSPARV

Sep 17, 2020
Found it. Thank you! So it sounds like you drove into Canada at a land border. Did you include furniture, dishes, kitchen stuff, artwork and soft furnishings in the list of belongings accompanying your husband when you crossed? And this didn't raise any questions?
Yes it was a land border.

There were household goods on the list of goods he was bringing in and he wasn't asked about that. We had thought through ahead of time what would be truthful but also not shooting ourselves in the foot answers to things like:
- Why is he bringing in all these household goods / what will you use when you return to the US?
- Why is there a box of toys listed on the goods list?
- What will you do if your PR application is rejected?
- Do you have a place to live in the US when you go back?
- What ties do you have to the US?
- His things are listed here, where are your worldly possessions?
Etc. Etc. Etc.

While we would have told them if they asked, we also didn't volunteer things like we no longer had a lease in the US (and if we'd had a home to sell we would have also only told them we'd sold it if asked), or that I'd left my job to come to Canada.

Reactions: AranChen

Scarpetta

Star Member
Apr 28, 2021
Category........
FAM
Sorry, do you mind posting the link to the thread in question here? I can't seem to be able to find it..

AranChen

Mar 27, 2021
Also in case it is helpful... I got the following response from Jaffamuzz who started this thread:
-----
I got in just fine. 3 of us arrived as Canadians and I arrived as a tourist, I could have just walked in as a tourist and they didn't ask me any questions, but I did 'declare' that I have also applied for PR status to the officer. I think they assumed I was 'landing' as a PR at that moment (which I was not, I was still in process)

They directed me to another agent who asked if I was 'landing' and I said, 'well, yes I just landed as a tourist, but I'm awaiting PR' and the guy just sent me on my way (as a tourist)

No worries, no questions, they never did ask about my house or anything like that BUT I did purchase a (refundable) Westjet ticket to the UK (for about 6 months later), which was going tobe my 'ammunition' if they did express any concern for me entering as a tourist and just planning to stay forever (Which they didn't)
-----
We all entered together.

We shipped everything but put it all in my wife's name only (Canadian)

We are not 100% certain, because it was years ago now, but my wife is quite sure that she DID declare that we had items shipped to follow. I think we had a form for that, but it wasn't an issue at all.

Reactions: Scarpetta