+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Dual Intent LMIA

newcecapplicant

Star Member
Nov 11, 2013
Good afternoon,

I am writing today as a successful immigrant, who moved to Canada many years ago and was able to setup a business for myself. I am now looking to hire new workers under the Dual Intent LMIA. I have done some research and have a few questions for the senior members here:

We have applied for an LMIA for Butchers which is considered a high skilled position. We are paying well over the median wage (16/hr while we pay 20/hr) and overtime to the workers. However we do not need experience for these workers to come work for us. What we are looking for is good communicators and fast learners. My question is, if the position does not require experience is it still considered a high skilled position?

We have also identified 3 workers for now, and will indentify 3 more as the LMIA processes. Is this also a problem?

thank you

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Good afternoon,

I am writing today as a successful immigrant, who moved to Canada many years ago and was able to setup a business for myself. I am now looking to hire new workers under the Dual Intent LMIA. I have done some research and have a few questions for the senior members here:

We have applied for an LMIA for Butchers which is considered a high skilled position. We are paying well over the median wage (16/hr while we pay 20/hr) and overtime to the workers. However we do not need experience for these workers to come work for us. What we are looking for is good communicators and fast learners. My question is, if the position does not require experience is it still considered a high skilled position?

We have also identified 3 workers for now, and will indentify 3 more as the LMIA processes. Is this also a problem?

thank you
The workers you have identified may struggle to get work permits approved if they have no related work experience. That's the issue I see if you are hiring individuals with no related experience. Generally speaking, the reason why you would be hiring a foreign worker is because you've been unable to find someone in Canada with the right skills / experience. So it doesn't really follow if the foreign workers you are hiring also have no work experience in the field. I think you should be prepared for the possibility that this will be an issue.

In terms of whether you can hire three additional foreign workers after the original three, that will depend on a number of factors including how many people you already employ in Canada already who are not foreign workers.

Reactions: Startup_Visa

newcecapplicant

Star Member
Nov 11, 2013
The workers you have identified may struggle to get work permits approved if they have no related work experience. That's the issue I see if you are hiring individuals with no related experience. Generally speaking, the reason why you would be hiring a foreign worker is because you've been unable to find someone in Canada with the right skills / experience. So it doesn't really follow if the foreign workers you are hiring also have no work experience in the field. I think you should be prepared for the possibility that this will be an issue.

In terms of whether you can hire three additional foreign workers after the original three, that will depend on a number of factors including how many people you already employ in Canada already who are not foreign workers.
thank you Scylla.

We currently have 15 workers who are b/w 40-55yrs old. They are all paid 20-27/hr (depending on their seniority and experience).
We need someone on the cutting tables and have tried to hire locally but there isn't anyone interested in the position... We've advertised for 18 months now.

to the second point:
I would ask for workers with experience but I can't find a new worker at 20/hr inside Canada. That's why we advertised for no experience
The 3 workers we have identified have work experience, and they can prove it. Would this solve the issue?

Finally, since it is Dual Intent we were informed by Service Canada that there isn't a cap on the occupation. We just haven't identified the final 3 people because we have been interviewing. Since we have submitted the LMIA for 6 workers I hope we can add 3 names later?

thank you

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
thank you Scylla.

We currently have 15 workers who are b/w 40-55yrs old. They are all paid 20-27/hr (depending on their seniority and experience).
We need someone on the cutting tables and have tried to hire locally but there isn't anyone interested in the position... We've advertised for 18 months now.

to the second point:
I would ask for workers with experience but I can't find a new worker at 20/hr inside Canada. That's why we advertised for no experience
The 3 workers we have identified have work experience, and they can prove it. Would this solve the issue?

Finally, since it is Dual Intent we were informed by Service Canada that there isn't a cap on the occupation. We just haven't identified the final 3 people because we have been interviewing. Since we have submitted the LMIA for 6 workers I hope we can add 3 names later?

thank you
You can certainly give it a shot and see what happens.

Again, ideally the workers you hire from outside of Canada should have experience in the field (or in a related field / occupation). Without that experience, it will reduce the chances of approval. But you can certainly give it a try and see what happens.

newcecapplicant

Star Member
Nov 11, 2013
I appreciate your advice Scylla. I will talk with the officer and hope that we are able to do this. Alternatively would you recommend adding 0-6months experience?

thank you

Jfoze

Mar 3, 2022
Good afternoon,

thank you
Sorry for asking you a question not related. But, are you in Vancouver?