AOR Received.
20-08-2017
Med's Done....
17-09-2017
Passport Req..
04-02-2018
LANDED..........
25-02-2018
Posting this to potentially help anyone searching this topic in the future.
British. Outland Family Class.

After reading a lot about Dual Intent and not being in the best position with 'ties to home country' (I gave up my job to go to Canada) I prepared everything I could for any questions the border agent might have asked. I printed out bank statements, travel insurance, flight details, CIC application page etc etc

There was a guy in front of me in the line. Our stories and situations were almost identical.

At the desk the border agent says. "6 months as a tourist? What job do you have that lets you have that much time off?".
Me, " Honestly sir, I saved up hard and gave up my job hahaha".
Border agent, "Well, hopefully you'll get word on you visa soon, welcome to Canada! :)"
That was it, no questions or anything.

The guy that was in front of me had the opposite experience, he was at the desk until after I'd got my bag from the carousel. I asked him how it went, and they'd asked him every question in the book and asked for proof of funds etc. They were very stern about him not working in Canada, even though he had a job back home waiting.

Be prepared. You might get lucky or you might have some questions to answer and explaining to do.

Hurlabrick

Champion Member
Sep 4, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
23-06-2016
AOR Received.
12-07-2016
File Transfer...
23-08-2016
Med's Done....
08-06-2016
Passport Req..
21-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
24-12-2016
LANDED..........
11-04-2017

After reading a lot about Dual Intent and not being in the best position with 'ties to home country' (I gave up my job to go to Canada) I prepared everything I could for any questions the border agent might have asked. I printed out bank statements, travel insurance, flight details, CIC application page etc etc

There was a guy in front of me in the line. Our stories and situations were almost identical.

At the desk the border agent says. "6 months as a tourist? What job do you have that lets you have that much time off?".
Border agent, "Well, hopefully you'll get word on you visa soon, welcome to Canada! :)"

The guy that was in front of me had the opposite experience, he was at the desk until after I'd got my bag from the carousel. I asked him how it went, and they'd asked him every question in the book and asked for proof of funds etc. They were very stern about him not working in Canada, even though he had a job back home waiting.

Be prepared. You might get lucky or you might have some questions to answer and explaining to do.
I suspect that this is true for anything regarding immigration.

If you prepare thoroughly and have everything printed and 'there' just in case, you will sail through and wonder why you bothered.

If you don't prepare thoroughly, you will probably get 'the third degree' and wish you had!

Sod's law!

Reactions: BlueSkiesHere

John013

Jun 17, 2017
The Netherlands
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Vienna
App. Filed.......
29-05-2017
AOR Received.
27-06-2017
File Transfer...
03-07-2017
Med's Request
02-11-2017
Med's Done....
06-11-2017
VISA ISSUED...
31-08-2018
LANDED..........
06-10-2018

Did you have a return ticket?

BlueSkiesHere

Star Member
Jan 18, 2017
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
16-07-2017
AOR Received.
20-08-2017
Med's Done....
17-09-2017
Passport Req..
04-02-2018
LANDED..........
25-02-2018

clau12

Jul 24, 2017
Whoever posted this tread. Did you buy an one way or a return ticket? When you mentioned your dual intend, did the officer mention anything about the sort ticket you bought? To my understanding, it’s not possible to buy an one way ticket if the PR is not finalised. If anyone knows the answer to my question, I’d appreciate your response. Cheers

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
You can buy a one way ticket, the issues is whether the airline will let you board the flight without one and whether CBSA will allow you entry without one. Airlines are on the hook for a return flight if you fail to gain entry and are sent back. They make sure they are covered for the cost. CBSA likes to see return ticket as a sign you are a visitor and understand the dual intent. We have, in the past, been refused birding for my wife with a one way ticket on several occasions.

jester

Feb 12, 2016
Our experience; I'm a Canadian citizen, my wife Filipino. We arrived at YVR about a few months ago. She has a visitor visa good till next summer. She arrived on a one-way ticket. She's visited here a few times in the past and never over-stayed. Told the officer we we just married the week prior in the Philippines and where returning to Canada with dual-intent. Told him she is entering as a visitor and we intend to file in-land ASAP.

No hassle, no secondary, no visitor record. The whole interaction was less than 90 seconds. His chief concern seemed to be if we were bringing back any large sums of money by way of wedding gifts. Stamp, stamp and we're on our way. Airline also never asked anything either.

Reactions: Canadian.In.NZ.

Canadian.In.NZ.

Star Member
Aug 2, 2017
Category........
FAM
Our experience; I'm a Canadian citizen, my wife Filipino. We arrived at YVR about a few months ago. She has a visitor visa good till next summer. She arrived on a one-way ticket. She's visited here a few times in the past and never over-stayed. Told the officer we we just married the week prior in the Philippines and where returning to Canada with dual-intent. Told him she is entering as a visitor and we intend to file in-land ASAP.

No hassle, no secondary, no visitor record. The whole interaction was less than 90 seconds. His chief concern seemed to be if we were bringing back any large sums of money by way of wedding gifts. Stamp, stamp and we're on our way. Airline also never asked anything either.

Glad to hear you had no issues! My husband and I are planning to go later this year and wait out the rest of the application, unless it gets returned, in which case we will enter with him as visitor and then apply inland from Vancouver. The whole thing, either scenario makes me nervous because all I keep thinking of is him being turned away. Even though I have been told that him being turned away is unlikely, I still worry about it :(

All the best with your application!

Beltex

Star Member
Jan 24, 2017
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
London UK
A family member who is a PR has not been back to Canada for almost 3 years following his short landing in October 2015 as a consequence he will need to return to Canada by October this year and then stay for 730 days min to maintain his PR.

Since he landed in Canada he has got married and had a child and they all want to settle in Canada. He now needs to know what is the best way to return with his wife and child, inland / outland etc

Looking on some of the posts if I've understood correctly, when he arrives in Canada with his wife and child there is a chance they could be turned away is that actually a realistic possibility ?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
A family member who is a PR has not been back to Canada for almost 3 years following his short landing in October 2015 as a consequence he will need to return to Canada by October this year and then stay for 730 days min to maintain his PR.

Since he landed in Canada he has got married and had a child and they all want to settle in Canada. He now needs to know what is the best way to return with his wife and child, inland / outland etc

Looking on some of the posts if I've understood correctly, when he arrives in Canada with his wife and child there is a chance they could be turned away is that actually a realistic possibility ?
His wife and child need to be approved for TRVs first, which isn't likely. If they can get TRVs, they can come to Canada and he can sponsor them inland. If they can't get TRVs, he needs to come to Canada and apply outland to sponsor them. He needs to be in Canada throughout the processing, so he needs to be prepared to be living away from his family for a year. A few short visits home are OK.

He must meet the Residency Obligation to sponsor his family, so he should return as soon as possible and not cut it close.

Beltex

Star Member
Jan 24, 2017
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
London UK
His wife and child need to be approved for TRVs first, which isn't likely. If they can get TRVs, they can come to Canada and he can sponsor them inland. If they can't get TRVs, he needs to come to Canada and apply outland to sponsor them. He needs to be in Canada throughout the processing, so he needs to be prepared to be living away from his family for a year. A few short visits home are OK.

He must meet the Residency Obligation to sponsor his family, so he should return as soon as possible and not cut it close.
Hi Canuck,

His wife and child are UK nationals and have ETAs so presumably they can arrive using those. It's just the whole thing looks like a bit of a mine field so much so I am beginning to think they should hire an immigration lawyer to sort it all out. I initially thought they would be best inland but some say it can take years while an outland is done in months. A big issue to them is that they have read the horror stories of families being split up while waiting for spousal sponsorship which is a big no no for them.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Hi Canuck,

His wife and child are UK nationals and have ETAs so presumably they can arrive using those. It's just the whole thing looks like a bit of a mine field so much so I am beginning to think they should hire an immigration lawyer to sort it all out. I initially thought they would be best inland but some say it can take years while an outland is done in months. A big issue to them is that they have read the horror stories of families being split up while waiting for spousal sponsorship which is a big no no for them.
For his case, I think inland make most sense.

He cannot start sponsorship until he meet his RO. So there is no way he can do outland sponsorship for his wife and child.

Since they are visa exampted, they should be OK to enter and then will have to renew their status (as visitors) while they are there.
The tricky part is since he doesn't meet his RO for the next 2 years or so... they will need private healthcare insurance to cover emergency. (depending on province)
Also depending on province and school district, his child may or may not need study visa to attend school.

Last edited:

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi Canuck,

Ah, that makes a big difference. Absolutely no need for a lawyer, very straightforward. The wife and child can come to Canada without issue while the PR app processes.

Whether to apply inland or outland really comes down to their personal preference. Outland, they can apply once the sponsor is in Canada and the wife and child come to Canada at any point while the app processes and it is generally faster than inland. Inland, they have to come to Canada first and it is recommend that the applicant not leave Canada during processing; the PA would get a work permit about 3-4 months after applying.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
For his case, I think inland make most sense.

He cannot start sponsorship until he meet his OR. So there is no way he can do outland sponsorship for his wife and child.

Since they are visa exampted, they should be OK to enter and then will have to renew their status (as visitors) while they are there.
The tricky part is since he doesn't meet his OR for the next 2 years or so... they will need private healthcare insurance to cover emergency. (depending on province)
Also depending on province and school district, his child may or may not need study visa to attend school.
Having been out of Canada for less than 3 years since landing, the person is fully in compliance with the RO.