+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

dual citizenship

pred8er

Star Member
Apr 6, 2009
Hi All,

My son was born in Canada 1 year ago and has a Canadian Passport/Medical Care Card/SIN number, we recently moved to the US, and I have applied for his US Citizenship based on the fact that I am a US Citizen. He should get his US Citizenship this Friday and I was wondering if Canada would strip his Canadian Citizenship because of this?

1. Because he has his Canadian Citizenship and about to get his US citizenship does that automatically make him a dual citizen of both countries?

2. The US will not strip of his Canadian Citizenship but will the Canada strip him of his Canadian or US?
thanks!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

pred8er said:
Hi All,

My son was born in Canada 1 year ago and has a Canadian Passport/Medical Care Card/SIN number, we recently moved to the US, and I have applied for his US Citizenship based on the fact that I am a US Citizen. He should get his US Citizenship this Friday and I was wondering if Canada would strip his Canadian Citizenship because of this?

1. Because he has his Canadian Citizenship and about to get his US citizenship does that automatically make him a dual citizen of both countries?

2. The US will not strip of his Canadian Citizenship but will the Canada strip him of his Canadian or US?
thanks!
Neither will.

YorkFactory

Oct 18, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
PMM said:
Neither will.
This. He's been a Canadian citizen since birth because he was born in Canada, and he's been a U.S. citizen since birth because you are his parent.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Neither US nor Canada cares if you have dual citizenship. The US does not encourage it and will not honor it say if you get in trouble in the US, you can't hide behind being Canadian, but they do not interfere with it. They also expect you to always use a US passport on entry and exit of the US and to file taxes in the US even if you do not live there. Canada is a lot more relaxed with these things.

I have never heard of a Canadian having to give up another citizenship because Canada requested it, only because the other country of citizenship requested it. I did hear about someone who was in the US armed forces who was ordered to tear up his Canadian passport as a statement of loyalty but they also did not make him give up his Canadian citizenship.