+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Dual citizenship: which has faster processing of spousal application?

marieinmexico

Mar 8, 2017
Good day to all,
I have dual citizenship (Mexican and US), and in July I permanently relocated to Canada with my Canadian husband (of 15 years). I will be attending graduate school, and last spring I applied for a Mexican grant for academic funding. The grant required that I represent myself as a Mexican to Canada, in order to receive funding. So on my study permit my citizenship is Mexican. I didn't get the grant. And now I am applying for PR status through Inland spousal sponsorship and I have the option of which citizenship to declare.

My question is: would it be faster/easier to apply for PR status as a US citizen than as a Mexican citizen? If so, do I need to change the details of my study permit?

Thank you for any help with this query!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Good day to all,
I have dual citizenship (Mexican and US), and in July I permanently relocated to Canada with my Canadian husband (of 15 years). I will be attending graduate school, and last spring I applied for a Mexican grant for academic funding. The grant required that I represent myself as a Mexican to Canada, in order to receive funding. So on my study permit my citizenship is Mexican. I didn't get the grant. And now I am applying for PR status through Inland spousal sponsorship and I have the option of which citizenship to declare.

My question is: would it be faster/easier to apply for PR status as a US citizen than as a Mexican citizen? If so, do I need to change the details of my study permit?

Thank you for any help with this query!
Hi

You have to declare both citizenships in the app. IRCC will decide where to process it. Where have you lived most of your life, particularly after the age of 18?

marieinmexico

Mar 8, 2017
First 30 years of my life I lived in US (18 + 12), last 20 years in Mexico. I processed my police certificate from Mexico.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
First 30 years of my life I lived in US (18 + 12), last 20 years in Mexico. I processed my police certificate from Mexico.
I would say it is more likely for the app to be sent to the Mexico VO but definitely possible that it may be processed in Ottawa. All you can do is apply and IRCC will decide.